Rfid scan

So tomorrow starts split scanning with the RFID app on the zebra devices.... let me know how it goes in your store. I have some reading to do before I pick up equipment tomorrow.

So tomorrow starts split scanning with the RFID app on the zebra devices.... let me know how it goes in your store. I have some reading to do before I pick up equipment tomorrow.

No one as has said anything to us.. This should be fun to pretend I know nothing.. But then we are down to one Zebra for In-Stocks.. All need updating and the ETL who did that quit a month ago and no one has bothered to do anything with any of the Zebra's since.. There is a fat stack of them waiting to get updated or shipped out for repair..

Instead of having a TM spend all day doing the scan once a week, they now spend all day doing the scan twice a week. They just keep wandering around trying to hit 98%, which still isn't possible.

Finished at 96% for the SL scan today and yes, @SFSFun it took all day. The STL got word that it was expected to be low for the first round and so I was cut loose at 96%. What got me was the category labeled "Accessories Special Projects" which was dept 209. No clue what it was supposed to be. You see, 209 is the SPL pog lead number for all accessories but every item in accessories is tagged either as dept 024 or dept 061.. there hasn't been any product tagged with a dpci starting with 209 since the Merona wraps way before the remodel. -_- Naturally we had 0% for that category. Scanned all of sotflines multiple times, no luck. Anyone have a clue, let me know.

I think if you search 209 or 49209 in item search on the pda it should list everything for that department. If it's not a lot, you can scroll through it to see if anything sounds familiar.

Finished at 96% for the SL scan today and yes, @SFSFun it took all day. The STL got word that it was expected to be low for the first round and so I was cut loose at 96%. What got me was the category labeled "Accessories Special Projects" which was dept 209. No clue what it was supposed to be. You see, 209 is the SPL pog lead number for all accessories but every item in accessories is tagged either as dept 024 or dept 061.. there hasn't been any product tagged with a dpci starting with 209 since the Merona wraps way before the remodel. -_- Naturally we had 0% for that category. Scanned all of sotflines multiple times, no luck. Anyone have a clue, let me know.

When I was an e2e tm I did accessories. I had baseball caps and jewelry that had a dpci starting with 209. Don't know if that helps.

I think if you search 209 or 49209 in item search on the pda it should list everything for that department. If it's not a lot, you can scroll through it to see if anything sounds familiar.

I'll try that and see if it works... thanks!

Apparently they are expecting scans to be low on the first week in Android/Zebra. Our STL was told that 96 for that week was considered a good score. We ended up with 96 in Softlines and 96 in Domestics as well... but the amount of extras was through the roof......over 6K extras in softlines and over 1K in Domestics.

The thing I miss the most is the *beep*. You know how it *beeps* when it picks up a new item but just *flashes* in back when it's already got that item? Well, they decided to remove the *beep* entirely. I told my STL the problem with that is that you have no idea whether you need to linger in an area or whether you're doing any good rescanning an area. Also, it's like 10 minutes between every update in counts which you get by swiping down. And every now and then the Android/Zebra My Device would shut off the blue tooth on it's own... weirdest thing. I'd have to open up the settings and turn the blue tooth back on periodically.

Plus side, the battery for the Zebra/Android lasts for the full scan even if it takes all day. AND the thing I love the most, it does NOT dump your scan. The My Device I was using wasn't fully charged to start with so I ended up changing the battery and even though the My Device did a FULL reboot the scan opened up right where I left off. No more stress worrying about losing your scan before you're done. Makes the job less stressful by far. Also, they said they are taking the salvage out of our counts. What that tells me is that as we suspected we should have been scanning the salvage every week if we wanted to be green. Now it doesn't matter... about time too.

Now if we can just get the numbers next week...

Tomorrow we start the new RFID process...I just have one issue with what my ETL said to do. He said we don't submit it until Wednesday after the Softlines portion is done...My brain tells me that might not be the right way of going about things. But since he's not there tomorrow I'm kind of in a loop because no one else in the store knows anything about Instocks or RFID in general.

Definitely submit the scan today. The tasks are assigned on a day-by-day basis, and should always be submitted by end of day...or so I've been told.

Today was my first day with the new scan. Other than having to remember to tap/swipe the screen every so often, is there an easy way to keep the mydevice from going into sleep mode? The red ones stayed on because of the trigger lock option.. but since these don't have that?

Last edited:
Definitely submit the scan today. The tasks are assigned on a day-by-day basis, and should always be submitted by end of day...or so I've been told.
I had to leave it without submitting. My ETL, and others in the district said it was passed down that NO one was to submit any portions of the scan until Wednesday when the Softlines bit is done. I'm just worried that I wasted all that time today and...did it all for nothing. Another stores ETL said that it was told to them during the Logistic Leader meeting they had for fourth quarter.

I had to leave it without submitting. My ETL, and others in the district said it was passed down that NO one was to submit any portions of the scan until Wednesday when the Softlines bit is done. I'm just worried that I wasted all that time today and...did it all for nothing. Another stores ETL said that it was told to them during the Logistic Leader meeting they had for fourth quarter.
You didn't do all that work for nothing. You did it to prove that they were wrong and shouldn't do that in the future.

Not sure if better or worse. Beeps or live count updates would've been helpful for knowing when I had a nearly complete scan on an aisle and can move on to the next. As it was I had to guess. "Finished" hardlines scan in 3 hours (at 94%) and spent the next 2 hours re-scanning for an increase of maaaybe 40 items. It did bump us up to 95% though.
Really enjoyed being able to help a guest or two without fear of timing out and losing the scan.

What is RFID?

I would come upon a team member in the early morning with a device moving side to side. I asked, what are you doing?
Response: RFID scan

What is this tm doing?

They are basically taking an inventory of all items with RFID tags such as softlines and domestics. The device they are waving picks up the frequencies put out by the RFID tags and then it updates the on-hand counts based on the data it picks up. The original idea behind using RFID was to make sure we had accurate on hands for flex fills and also to be able to locate "hard to locate" items without having to go on a scavenger hunt.

Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) is the use of radio waves to read and capture information stored on a tag attached to an object.
A tag can be read from up to several feet away and does not need to be within direct line-of-sight of the reader to be tracked.

Wednesday they do the wave at my store.

You didn't do all that work for nothing. You did it to prove that they were wrong and shouldn't do that in the future.
I'm just going to laugh because I told four leaders in the building my worry and no one did anything about it. They didn't try to 'seek to understand' if what was said was the right way of going about it. Considering the paperwork we got said to complete the scan. It's just frustrating because I could have spent the day doing something else if not for them not knowing what they are doing.

Question for those of you guys that are live. I'm training people on rfid but have never done it. One question I keep getting asked is can you use my work to scan something for a guest while scanning or no?

Question for those of you guys that are live. I'm training people on rfid but have never done it. One question I keep getting asked is can you use my work to scan something for a guest while scanning or no?

You can now since it is more stable, you can now bounce out of the scan to my work and back. I used to do it when we had the apple devices, enough. I would not fear bouncing around on the zebra. You will be fine, but your scan is priority, help a guest move on. I keep a low profile while I scan if you get my drift.

And we did our first one today and the app sucks, not having any kind of feedback is not a feature its a software bug that needs fixing.

Extras? Top 10,000 for just softlines!

Back