Rfid scan

You can now since it is more stable, you can now bounce out of the scan to my work and back. I used to do it when we had the apple devices, enough. I would not fear bouncing around on the zebra. You will be fine, but your scan is priority, help a guest move on. I keep a low profile while I scan if you get my drift.

And we did our first one today and the app sucks, not having any kind of feedback is not a feature its a software bug that needs fixing.

Extras? Top 10,000 for just softlines!

So go to my work hit none scan item for guest and then go back to checkpoint?

I got 94% for domestics yesterday. Went over the areas that were <95% multiple times just to get a whopping 7 more items, 4 of which were extras. The no feedback with the zebras now makes this a lot harder. 3+ hours for domestics when it used to take an hour tops for that part of the store.

I got 94% for domestics yesterday. Went over the areas that were <95% multiple times just to get a whopping 7 more items, 4 of which were extras. The no feedback with the zebras now makes this a lot harder. 3+ hours for domestics when it used to take an hour tops for that part of the store.

I would love to take just an hour, we spend all day since our store is a nightmare of dead zones. You can cross over an area with two different people at least four times and get enough hits to make it worth it each time.. Sucks large.. We were around the %93-94 when I left and never had over 2000 extras before yesterday? Over 10,000 for softlines alone..

So go to my work hit none scan item for guest and then go back to checkpoint?

Yes, cause we were bouncing in and out of RFID all day since it does not update and my leadership is a bunch of insecure bitches who want updates every 5min so the only way to get the count to update is to exit the RFID app and go back in now.. RFID is much more stable on the zebra.

Been doing the softlines scan for over two hours and I'm only at 87% with 4k extras. And not picking up much else anywhere. Already over today.

Last edited:
I got one of the engineers working on the new app on the phone while working through a problem yesterday. They said that they got rid of the beep because they changed the system to make it so the zebra doesn't know which items it hasn't scanned before. It just takes all the data and sends it somewhere (which is why there is a delay updating the counts). One alternate solution that the guy mentioned they're looking at is adding the beep back, but in a way that would reset every time that you start the app again. So if the app crashes or you force close it, it would beep for every item again, even if you had already scanned it. Not sure why, though.

Who keeps getting "error POSTing tags" ? Any idea why this keeps happening?
That's actually the problem that I was calling about yesterday. Apparently, that means that there was a connection problem between the store and wherever the data goes and the tags that were just scanned didn't make it.

Who keeps getting "error POSTing tags" ? Any idea why this keeps happening?
That means it lost WiFi signal/connection to the server.

I got one of the engineers working on the new app on the phone while working through a problem yesterday. They said that they got rid of the beep because they changed the system to make it so the zebra doesn't know which items it hasn't scanned before. It just takes all the data and sends it somewhere (which is why there is a delay updating the counts). One alternate solution that the guy mentioned they're looking at is adding the beep back, but in a way that would reset every time that you start the app again. So if the app crashes or you force close it, it would beep for every item again, even if you had already scanned it. Not sure why, though.

Due to this being how it works now - sending all data to a server to be processed rather than being stored locally (on the mydevice) until completion - you can have multiple people doing the scan at the same time with 2 Zebras and 2 RFID scanners to get it done much faster (if you have another person)...tried it out today just as a test: They did one part of the floor while I did another and it updated both sections accordingly.

Our scan last week stopped at 96% but the report came in at 98.25% for softlines. We also stopped scan at 96% for Domestics but that turned out to be yellow but it was 97+%. They averaged the two and we cleared green for the week. That meant I got a report. SO I hop on the report and hunt down that "accessory special projects/ 209" to see what the heck that item was so I could have some way of finding it. Located the category, hit the drop down menu, read "data unavailable". o.- What the heck? How am I supposed to find this missing item if I have no clue what it is. OH, and I checked hats... they are 061 like belts... ><

This is our second week. And yes, you submit the scan each day after you finish scanning. You do NOT hold one day's scan over to the next day to submit together. Softlines and Domestics are graded separately, so are turned in separately. And no, there is no way to keep the Zebra from going to sleep. I have trained myself to keep my eyes on the flashing back end of the zebra scan gun. If it stops flashing I know to look down at the my device and make sure it's on. Ours periodically shut off the blue tooth just for kix and I have to go back into settings and turn the blue tooth back on. And I miss the beep.... I really really miss the beep. I explained to my STL that it's hard to know if I'm doing any good in an area without the beep and I don't know how long to stay there either because again, no beep. She said I had a good point and she was going to tell them that in her feedback. Really hope we get the beep back.

Yes, you can use "My Work" to help a guest without losing the scan. Shoot, you can go on a 15 minute break and even a 45 minute lunch without losing the scan. You can even change the battery out and reboot the whole my device and your scan is still there. And if your My Device crashes, don't freak out... grab another My device and log back into RFID. Your scan will still be there. That is the greatest plus with this app switch and I love not having to stress at every turn that I might get dumped. Note: if your scan is updating slow... cut off the blue tooth, close the app with a swipe, and open the app back up. (just don't sign out) Sometimes when I do that I'll find the counts have jumped a few hundred. Also if you get "error posting tags" that's a good time to do that. It will generally bring up the numbers.

On my second scan I had a My Device that suddenly refused to connect to the wireless. I always grab 2 My Devices when I scan just in case there are issues. So I picked up the other My Device and logged into RFID on it and sure enough the scan was there waiting for me and I was able to continue on.

That means it lost WiFi signal/connection to the server.

Due to this being how it works now - sending all data to a server to be processed rather than being stored locally (on the mydevice) until completion - you can have multiple people doing the scan at the same time with 2 Zebras and 2 RFID scanners to get it done much faster (if you have another person)...tried it out today just as a test: They did one part of the floor while I did another and it updated both sections accordingly.

Good to know! We are short staffed but I may have to try this when I'm training someone new. Thanks for that info! :)

Question: Did you do well on the score? And did the scan go faster with 2 people?

Definitely. The sled actually got warm. The constantly flashing light is to blame I think

I keep spare batteries for the sled on me. When I get in I grab the sled I'm using for the scan then take the battery out of the second sled and pocket it. Then I take one of the batteries out of the charging unit (ours never worked) and put it in the gun I'm not using so that it's charging one for me while I'm down on the floor. First Softlines scan I changed the Zebra scanner's battery three times.

Good to know! We are short staffed but I may have to try this when I'm training someone new. Thanks for that info! :)

Question: Did you do well on the score? And did the scan go faster with 2 people?
We cleared 93% with 8800? extras or so. Only department that that wasn't even (counted=expected with missing) or within like 10 was swim.

The person I tested it with couldn't spend time today to really do it so he only did a few aisles of bras but it should definitely go much faster that way.

Definitely. The sled actually got warm. The constantly flashing light is to blame I think
It seems with either the firmware update or the new software the scanner power is cranked up to max. The sound produced from aiming it at a price scanner (with its unshielded speakers) is much, much louder than it used to be. That is most likely what's causing the sled to heat up so much. I had one sled malfunction and seemingly go full power a few months ago and got very hot the same way. It was the best scan we had in months though until it got too hot, put a solid red light out, and crashed checkpoint.

I keep spare batteries for the sled on me. When I get in I grab the sled I'm using for the scan then take the battery out of the second sled and pocket it. Then I take one of the batteries out of the charging unit (ours never worked) and put it in the gun I'm not using so that it's charging one for me while I'm down on the floor. First Softlines scan I changed the Zebra scanner's battery three times.
Does your store not have SFS? They always grab our second RFID scanner at my store.

Both days my expected count changed during the scan. Today it went down, and yesterday the number went up. Looking at pictures that I took mid-scan versus end of scan, they were relatively small changes and I suppose maybe the system could reflect sales/returns but still odd.

Last edited:
Does your store not have SFS? They always grab our second RFID scanner at my store.

Our RFID guns are kept locked up in HR and are only pulled out as a last resort to find something and if that's done an ETL/LOD is involved and they get locked back up afterward. We have a few SL gals on the salesfloor who are so good with product from pushing truck that they can pretty much walk up to any item and grab it so most of the time the SFS people get one of them to help. It's rare the SL gals can't find the item in a matter of minutes and when they can't it ends up not being in the store. ALL of our SFS people try to find the SL item first and only ask for help if they're not successful. To give credit where credit is due, they do find more items on their own than they ask for help with.

Both days my expected count changed during the scan. Today it went down, and yesterday the number went up. Looking at pictures that I took mid-scan versus end of scan, they were relatively small changes and I suppose maybe the system could reflect sales/returns but still odd.

Mine did that too yesterday. The last three numbers were 252, then 250, then 248, then 240.... that was the lowest it dropped. Can't remember where it landed at the end but it was like a yo yo throughout the latter part of the scan in SL.

I'm not sure how to check if an item is supposed to be RFID or not, but I noticed today that some of the electric blankets are tagged and some are not. From my brief testing, it looks like the square packaged ones are tagged but the tube-shaped ones aren't.

Our RFID guns are kept locked up in HR and are only pulled out as a last resort to find something and if that's done an ETL/LOD is involved and they get locked back up afterward. We have a few SL gals on the salesfloor who are so good with product from pushing truck that they can pretty much walk up to any item and grab it so most of the time the SFS people get one of them to help. It's rare the SL gals can't find the item in a matter of minutes and when they can't it ends up not being in the store. ALL of our SFS people try to find the SL item first and only ask for help if they're not successful. To give credit where credit is due, they do find more items on their own than they ask for help with.
Even with knowledgeable SLTMs, it is often so much quicker and more successful to use RFID right away if you can't find something where it's supposed to be. Most of the time I can find the other sizes of the item I need, so if I ask softlines they won't be able to do anything besides point out the rack I already found and manually dig through every other rack.

I'm not sure how to check if an item is supposed to be RFID or not, but I noticed today that some of the electric blankets are tagged and some are not. From my brief testing, it looks like the square packaged ones are tagged but the tube-shaped ones aren't.

Even with knowledgeable SLTMs, it is often so much quicker and more successful to use RFID right away if you can't find something where it's supposed to be. Most of the time I can find the other sizes of the item I need, so if I ask softlines they won't be able to do anything besides point out the rack I already found and manually dig through every other rack.

If you look at the barcode of an item and see the letters EPC in the corner then it is tagged for RFID. This is how we keep a check on what's tagged and what's not in areas where everything is supposed to be tagged. There are far more things tagged in the store for RFID than are actually being counted in our scans. (Or do you mean how to know when it should be tagged if it isn't?)

Our SFS leader asked about using the RFID gun today. I told her to partner with the SLTL to get training on how to use it to find items. I don't have a problem with people using it so long as they respect the equipment and the fact that we only have two and put it back on the charger properly when they're done using it. As important as the RFID scan reports are to corporate we can't afford to have one broken or missing.

Or do you mean how to know when it should be tagged if it isn't?
Yeah that. Seemed weird that some were tagged and some weren't.
I don't have a problem with people using it so long as they respect the equipment and the fact that we only have two and put it back on the charger properly when they're done using it.
Lol at my store it's SFS who goes after people for not putting it back properly. Service desk likes to hide the iPod among the registry devices and shove the scanner in a random drawer. When they do put it back, they jam the scanner into the dock without removing the rubber band on the bottom, so it doesn't sit properly and won't charge.

If you look at the barcode of an item and see the letters EPC in the corner then it is tagged for RFID. This is how we keep a check on what's tagged and what's not in areas where everything is supposed to be tagged. There are far more things tagged in the store for RFID than are actually being counted in our scans. (Or do you mean how to know when it should be tagged if it isn't?)

Our SFS leader asked about using the RFID gun today. I told her to partner with the SLTL to get training on how to use it to find items. I don't have a problem with people using it so long as they respect the equipment and the fact that we only have two and put it back on the charger properly when they're done using it. As important as the RFID scan reports are to corporate we can't afford to have one broken or missing.
You are lucky to have two working RFID scanners ..... for some reason the battery doesn't work for the second one... and they don't replace batteries so only 1 RFID and 1 battery..... it was a struggle when the count was 100,000+

Lol at my store it's SFS who goes after people for not putting it back properly.

Not that anyone but SFS in our building really uses it since guest services doesn't even tag things when they're supposed to.. but 100% this. I'm one of our FT SFS tms and I also have owned RFID since it rolled out. If anyone messes with an RFID gun, I will come after them and it won't be pretty :D

Last edited:
Back