Rfid scan

I believe extras are a combination of product that just came off the truck and isn't yet logged into the system and the product you missed the previous week suddenly popping up on the radar so to speak. And of course Xtras don't count toward your score. If they did we'd nail it every time. :p

Is anyone else experiencing a ridiculous amount of "extra" ? What exactly causes extras?

Salvage and orders staged for SFS prior to the RFID list populating will cause extras as well. The most basic way of defining extras is items that system didn't think would be in your store. The problem with scanning salvage and SFS merchandise is that the system will think those items should be in your store the next time you do the scan, which they won't be, making it that much more difficult to achieve your goal.

I believe extras are a combination of product that just came off the truck and isn't yet logged into the system and the product you missed the previous week suddenly popping up on the radar so to speak. And of course Xtras don't count toward your score. If they did we'd nail it every time. :p
Why would it not update if it came off the truck? Once it's received our OH are updated.

Salvage and orders staged for SFS prior to the RFID list populating will cause extras as well. The most basic way of defining extras is items that system didn't think would be in your store. The problem with scanning salvage and SFS merchandise is that the system will think those items should be in your store the next time you do the scan, which they won't be, making it that much more difficult to achieve your goal.
I thought the salvage issue was fixed.

Does anyone know why on the report it shows items with no differences as items with large differences?
(When I select the y radio button under large differences there are items that show zero in the difference column.)

So last week bottomed out with a score of 92% in SL and 93% in HL and I get the score back and it's 98.33%/Green. I really hate this. How do you know when to stop with this much discrepancy? There's no way in hell we would have had a 98% if we scanned all day. Way way too frustrating and we had 9K xtra last week and about the same this week. Also, I stayed away from SFS and the Salvage. Really, really hate RFID. ><

This week sucked. Over 9K extras and I couldn't even get 92% after scanning for a full shift. I climbed ladders, I turned product around till the gun was pointing right at the barcode, and I even got on the floor on my knees to go through every single rug we own by hand to hit the barcode with the gun. I'm so done with this crap. To do the same exact things over and over and over again and have different results all the time and to never know when you actually hit 98% is absolutely maddening. My leadership could care less right now as they have bigger things on their plate to worry about in Q4 than RFID.

This week sucked. Over 9K extras and I couldn't even get 92% after scanning for a full shift. I climbed ladders, I turned product around till the gun was pointing right at the barcode, and I even got on the floor on my knees to go through every single rug we own by hand to hit the barcode with the gun. I'm so done with this crap. To do the same exact things over and over and over again and have different results all the time and to never know when you actually hit 98% is absolutely maddening. My leadership could care less right now as they have bigger things on their plate to worry about in Q4 than RFID.

Same here. Stl said to walk again so I walked for another 2 hours and went up by .32... Yay productivity

Once again hardlines never bothered to come get the RFID scanner to do the scan.. Second week in a row we get a big fat zero..

They also haven't done their portion of the In Stocks task list since black Friday. End to end for the win!!!! They are doing so well! /sarcasm

Rightarm, I stopped all that extra BS, it didn't help and it seemed to only hurt me. There isn't a pattern of how it counts things or what it is asking for so I quit trying.. They get what they get.

Last edited:
I might be late on this since I don't really own the scan anymore, but there's now an encode function on the zebra mydevices.

As well as beeping when locating... Still no beeping when doing the scan itself -_-

As well as beeping when locating... Still no beeping when doing the scan itself -_-
Oh good, maybe I won't get run over by the Wave again because I was walking in the BR while staring at the Zebra screen trying to find an adult onesie.

Has anyone happened to look at their RFID reject report. I finally got mine to pull up and it had over 6,000 items on it. Over 95% were just 1 on hand and it was rejected from updating to 0. Have no idea why? Some items have been rejected for 15 weeks!! If I haven't found it within the 15 weeks it's not here. The problem is all these items drop back into your expected count the following week. Our scores have been dropping slowly every week, down to 87% for softlines this week. All this started when we switched to the zebras, before that our scores were typically at 99% each week.
It's also affecting SFS as these items keep dropping in.

They don't seem too bothered by the scan at my store. A TM scans for 3-4 hours, gets into the mid 80s, then sends it in.

There's just no way to tell anymore what is good and what isn't. I used to get around 95% and that was a guaranteed 98% or better. Now I can't even hit a dang 90% and yet we're coming out green? I'm lookin at 89.27% in SL and an 93.12% in HL on my gun when I turn it in and they give me a score of 98.26%?..... SMH How the hell are you ever supposed to tell when it's good enough? I feel like instead of this being a tool for a better future with instocks... it's just a stupid game they make us play every week that we cannot win. And I have better things to do with my time. -_- At least they finally got someone else to do the HL scan.

Yeh, noticed the "encode" feature during my scan. Need to make sure the FRO knows. They were having a major struggle getting things encoded to the point that the SRTL told them to tag things and get them back out on the floor because she didn't want it piling up.

I feel like RFID is something someone put a whole lot of time & money into, and even though it's not working well, we'll keep at it rather than admit failure. Maybe it's still an improvement over the old method of scanning every hardlines aisle in research, and relying mostly on softlines to research their whole dept weekly? I know it saves a ton of labor cost.

Having trouble being green on RFID metrics? Worry not, my friends! Kid's accessories are being added to the scan, and I'm sure everyone will love hunting those down where the little snot-nosed brats decide to ditch them!

Edit: I probably misread the communication, looks like they are just switching department numbers. Just frustrated because the entire process is so broken and the only thing Target can think to do is mess with something that doesn't even address the problem.

Last edited:
I feel like RFID is something someone put a whole lot of time & money into, and even though it's not working well, we'll keep at it rather than admit failure. Maybe it's still an improvement over the old method of scanning every hardlines aisle in research, and relying mostly on softlines to research their whole dept weekly? I know it saves a ton of labor cost.

Well, if these scans adjusted counts you would probably be right but from what I hear they don't do that. Also, the tags sometimes fail to work. We actually had a gun pointed at an RFID tagged pair of pants and the scanner couldn't "find" it. So while I do see a future for this if they an make it work effectively 100% of the time and actually adjusted counts based on what the gun was telling them so that instocks would be taken care of, it's not really happening now.

Having trouble being green on RFID metrics? Worry not, my friends! Kid's accessories are being added to the scan, and I'm sure everyone will love hunting those down where the little snot-nosed brats decide to ditch them!

Edit: I probably misread the communication, looks like they are just switching department numbers. Just frustrated because the entire process is so broken and the only thing Target can think to do is mess with something that doesn't even address the problem.

I find the number change confusing. It makes me wonder if someone screwed up in the factory and forgot to put a "0" in front of the "32" for the dept number and so they're just accepting it as a new dept number rather than fix it.

I assumed dept 326 was for a new brand that's going to be launched.

Well, if these scans adjusted counts you would probably be right but from what I hear they don't do that. Also, the tags sometimes fail to work. We actually had a gun pointed at an RFID tagged pair of pants and the scanner couldn't "find" it. So while I do see a future for this if they an make it work effectively 100% of the time and actually adjusted counts based on what the gun was telling them so that instocks would be taken care of, it's not really happening now.
I've had several frustrating issues using locate when I key in the DPCI and it says the item is not RFID enabled...but I can be looking at the tag for that very item and it has the EPC logo. I bet that has something to do with the wonky counts too.

Back