Rfid scan

OK... I just recently started doing RFID and would like to boost my score. I asked about this report and got some pretty vague stares, but one ETL dove in and looked it up. How do we use it? I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, how far back to go, what each column means (what are the abbreviations for), etc. What does "reject" really mean and how does researching it make it not a reject? I need some guidance here, please.
It's a new report and I don't have it in front of me so I'll try to go off memory. The first time you enter the report you'll want to click the 3 lines that get smaller as they go lower and select and save your store as default. Your store will appear in a white box and list your score %s. The important section is lower on the page and you want to click the title of the second report. Pertinent info on that page is weeks on report - you want to research those items so 'important' people know your store is doing RFID properly; RFID scanned/expected - the number of units the system thought your store had at the time of scan; RFID counted/actual - the number of units you actually scanned; there is also a column that shows the discrepancy, which is nice to sort by if you don't have time to research the whole report.

In order to use the report, you click something click called 'export to csv' (I think). That'll send it to excel. I'm not an excel expert, but if you don't know anything about excel, the following may help you to be able make the report more usable after printing:

In order to make the columns more readable, you navigate to the row immediately above the first row of the excel document. In the row, you double click the vertical column separators and the columns will expand or contract to the correct size. Next you can sort columns. To do this, hover the mouse near the top of the column until your cursor turns into a down arrow and select that column. There is a sort option in the toolbar that looks like an 'A' over a 'Z' with a down arrow next to it, you can click through those options to sort the column. Once you choose which way to sort, excel will give you a prompt and you want to 'expand your selection' so that it sorts every row along with your selected row. Finally, to print it, after going to file > print, you'll want to click through the options until you find the one that says 'fit all columns on one page.'

I wouldn't recommend just going through the report and researching everything to accommodate the discrepancy, but actually inspecting the individual items on the floor and in the backroom. By doing this, we have found mispicks, untagged items, and RFID tags that weren't working. Additionally, we discovered items not every TM knew existed, such as a few items on a random trend run that isn't even near the departments we scan.

Hope this helps, it's early in the morning and I'm not sure how much sense I made.

I have it printed. I just need to know what to do with it. hahaha Today is my RFID day, so getting the "investigation" done won't happen in full today. My intent was to find all of the items and then do the research. Will that change or modify the "expected" number (and does this equal on hands or received.... I know they're supposed to match, but ...yeah...)? Once they are found, is there a way to add them to our scan or does that have to wait until the next scan?

I could not even get the report to even come populate to day. I forget what message it gives me, but any event it makes it look like I don't have access to it.

I could not even get the report to even come populate to day. I forget what message it gives me, but any event it makes it look like I don't have access to it.

I couldn't load it yesterday. It told me Access Denied... my TL had to open it for me.

Permission denied or some such. TMs do not have access anymore as of last week. ETLs (maybe TLs - I don't know) can still see it.

How is there any point in blocking the RFID report from TMs? Ridiculous. Leadership in my store doesn't care about RFID, with the exception of my TL who entrusts it to me because they have so many other things to worry about. I've been doing it (with my TL but, again, it's mostly entrusted to me) since it rolled out. I pay the most attention to the updates, scores, etc.

The RFID report in store reports isn't working. Try getting in through myPerformance>Logistics>RFID Report

Permission denied or some such. TMs do not have access anymore as of last week. ETLs (maybe TLs - I don't know) can still see it.

Okay... so here's what I do to see the score... I got to "My Performance" on the left side of workbench and click that. Then when it populates I click "Logistics"... then when that page opens I go down to the very bottom right for menu or sitemap or whatever it is. Click that and you'll get an alphabetical listing. Click "R" and open up RFID detail report. It's actually the old version of the report BUT it seems to be keeping up with the score week to week. I did notice that the new system isn't letting me in but the old one is still there. :)

What's the easiest way to make sure a RFID label is active and responding? We have a DPCI with 44 OH and the wand continually misses 6 eaches, but all of the items are tagged.

I finally figured this out. When in 'Locate,' once the wand finds a unique RFID, it will latch on to that one unique ID and will disregard all other RFIDs for that particular DPCI. So in the example I had with 44 units OH, the wand just connected to 1 of those eaches. In order to get around this, I had back out of 'Locate,' separate the one RFID tag I know worked, then reenter 'Locate' and see if the next one worked.

Problems arose when I had a different DPCI with what was supposed to have 14 OHs. During our scan, we specifically went to this item because it was on our reject report for over 5 weeks. After getting the results for the current week, this DPCI was still on the reject report with the same amount of missed, even though we purposely scanned all these items during our scan. When trying to figure out which tags may not have been working using the method I mentioned above, every tag registered using 'Locate.' So, why did this item show up on the reject report? Now, I'm at a loss.

One of my rfid scanners started beeping in locate mode this week! It's actually not as annoying as I thought it would be since it isn't that loud. Although it does sound like a Geiger counter now.

Oh my. I was never told anything about when or why to use "locate". Please educate me!!! I had about 3 minutes of training before I was expected to get 98% in hardlines. I scan the front end ...reshop at Guest Service, holds, reshop at the lanes, surreptitiously scan guest carts, price change carts, the fixture room in case it's counting displays, use a ladder/wave to get all top shelves in the backroom once I've finished the shelves, scan all clearance endcaps just in case, etc. I'm struggling to get past 93% each week (sometimes as high as 96%, but never the elusive 98), so any hints that turn me into a superstar this week will be appreciated.

Oh my. I was never told anything about when or why to use "locate". Please educate me!!! I had about 3 minutes of training before I was expected to get 98% in hardlines. I scan the front end ...reshop at Guest Service, holds, reshop at the lanes, surreptitiously scan guest carts, price change carts, the fixture room in case it's counting displays, use a ladder/wave to get all top shelves in the backroom once I've finished the shelves, scan all clearance endcaps just in case, etc. I'm struggling to get past 93% each week (sometimes as high as 96%, but never the elusive 98), so any hints that turn me into a superstar this week will be appreciated.
Don't shoot for 98. 95 is good you will almost always be at 98 or better on the report. When I do the scans I do not update very often pretty much after I finish an area. The most important thing is to be thorough and go around everything at least twice. Also, always look in the steel for transition pallets, if you miss them they can screw you over pretty bad.

I haven't got 98 in months. Don't feel bad. The signing ninja has an extension pole you can strap your RFID scanner to so you don't have to climb ladders/ride the wave around. "Borrow" a large rubberband or 2 from shoes. Your neck will hurt from looking up so much though.

Towels. Rescan towels over and over. Make sure you place the RFID gun between metal shelves, they do interfere with the signal.

Locate is used to find a particular RFID enabled item in the store. Mostly used by persons picking the flex fill batches.

I don't think we're supposed to scan flex fill hold area. Those items have been removed from the onhands already.

Last edited:
Oh my. I was never told anything about when or why to use "locate". Please educate me!!!
Locate is for finding a specific DPCI. It's useful for flexible fulfillment, but you don't use it when doing the scan.

I haven't got 98 in months. Don't feel bad. The signing ninja has an extension pole you can strap your RFID scanner to so you don't have to climb ladders/ride the wave around. "Borrow" a large rubberband or 2 from shoes. Your neck will hurt from looking up so much though.

Towels. Rescan towels over and over. Make sure you place the RFID gun between metal shelves, they do interfere with the signal.

Locate is used to find a particular RFID enabled item in the store. Mostly used by persons picking the flex fill batches.

I don't think we're supposed to scan flex fill hold area. Those items have been removed from the onhands already.
My biggest problem is rugs. Bath is usually around 97%. I don't scan the flex hold...it's the 24 hour hold. We laugh about how those of us who do RFID can't move the next day... hips, knees, shoulders, neck. It doesn't matter if you're old or young, you are going to feel it.

Still with bath even at 97%, you're probably still missing 150 pieces. Whereas 95% in rugs you might be missing 20 pieces. Your score comes from the overall percentage, not the average percentage of the departments. I'd put my extra effort into bath. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Still with bath even at 97%, you're probably still missing 150 pieces. Whereas 95% in rugs you might be missing 20 pieces. Your score comes from the overall percentage, not the average percentage of the departments. I'd put my extra effort into bath. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I was going to reply with this exact same scenario.

Neither gun beeps. I e looked at the firmware & it’s up to date, I give up.

One of mine beeped when the update came out. Now both have been updated to the newest firmware again and they do not beep on scan, only connection to the zebra.

Try performing a hard reset. Press and hold the Power button and the Bluetooth button for a few seconds till you hear it reboot. You may need to re-connect your wand to the myDevice after the reset. After I did this, two of our three wands started beeping again, this time with a quieter, Geiger counter-like sound that syncs with the wand’s LED flash. It’s less obnoxious but very useful when in Locate mode.

Is there any way to check if your RFID scanner is performing as it should? How do you know if it's broken/weak signal despite fresh battery? Maybe I'm just being paranoid

Is there any way to check if your RFID scanner is performing as it should? How do you know if it's broken/weak signal despite fresh battery? Maybe I'm just being paranoid

Just perform some test locates. Find an RFID-enabled item, punch in the DPCI into the RFID app, walk about 15-ish feet away (or farther), and approach the item with the wand while it is set to Locate that DPCI. The wand should begin beeping when you get about 10 feet away from the item and the “Item is close/not close” meter should begin to fill as you get closer.

Typically, the wand’s LED flash on the back will flash green repeatedly while it is locating. If the light is not on, usually that means it’s not locating. Give it a good reboot to try to fix it if that’s the case. Also check to see what mode you’re in by checking the “Mode” button on the side of the wand. If it’s LED is green, press and hold it to turn it off (this disables the infared scanner, which is meant for encoding RFID tags, occasionally it helps fix a problem.)

Last edited:
Back