Archived Ridiculous Red Card "prizes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Card prizes are BS that make the rest of the store hate the front end leaders / ETLs. Here let me reward you for doing your core roles today!

If the entire store was like the front end you'd have this situation for a POG team member:

POG member A: just doesn't care so doesn't clean shelves / research / organize clearance
POG member B: cleans shelves and actually does the job they are supposed to do
over walkie you hear: "Way to go POG B for cleaning your shelves!!!! You get a $5 giftcard or free starbucks, just for doing what you're supposed to do anyway"

reality: LOD to TL "Why is POG A not doing their job properly, you need to tell them if they aren't doing their job they are fired"

Red Card prizes are BS that make the rest of the store hate the front end leaders / ETLs. Here let me reward you for doing your core roles today!

If the entire store was like the front end you'd have this situation for a POG team member:

POG member A: just doesn't care so doesn't clean shelves / research / organize clearance
POG member B: cleans shelves and actually does the job they are supposed to do
over walkie you hear: "Way to go POG B for cleaning your shelves!!!! You get a $5 giftcard or free starbucks, just for doing what you're supposed to do anyway"

reality: LOD to TL "Why is POG A not doing their job properly, you need to tell them if they aren't doing their job they are fired"

Okay, I'm going to level here... and I will preface that I made that argument myself not too long ago.

A Team Member getting a RedCard as part of their core roles is different than a POG team member cleaning a shelf, or a sales floor TM putting away reshop, or a pricing TM ticketing clearance. RedCards require a selling technique. That stuff doesn't. Especially since you are trying to break through to an audience that is still trying to fully heal their scars from the breach, or to people who just don't want another credit card to add to the wallet. It's not easy. To some it's a huge thing if they break through and get that RedCard, especially those who are quiet by nature and aren't as skilled in asking as others.

How about extended warranties? Or Starbucks' loyalty program, or Cartwheel, or attachments, or suggesting a belt to go with those pants?

Starbucks has a loyalty program??? Is it that thing where you collect stars?

They need to stop the games for red cards. When its announced over the walkie, the guests start thinking of ways to say "NO". How about Target simply gives each person who gets a card a $1 on their check. No one wants more SSS Stuff or candy or pop, cold hard cash. Your number is in the computer, easily tracked. Take it out of the hands of the GSTLS If a cashier is really motivated they could get in effect give themselves a $1 an hour raise by getting one each hour. Kohls used to do it that way, not sure if they still do though.
As far as only the front end gets the prizes, any sales floor team member has the opportunity to get them. If you want the pleasure of earning prizes by getting red cards, try it. I dare you. Its not as easy as you think

They need to stop the games for red cards. When its announced over the walkie, the guests start thinking of ways to say "NO". How about Target simply gives each person who gets a card a $1 on their check. No one wants more SSS Stuff or candy or pop, cold hard cash. Your number is in the computer, easily tracked. Take it out of the hands of the GSTLS If a cashier is really motivated they could get in effect give themselves a $1 an hour raise by getting one each hour. Kohls used to do it that way, not sure if they still do though.
As far as only the front end gets the prizes, any sales floor team member has the opportunity to get them. If you want the pleasure of earning prizes by getting red cards, try it. I dare you. Its not as easy as you think

My friend who used to work for sears told me they got $2 per card. $2 per card would be nice.

When its announced over the walkie, the guests start thinking of ways to say "NO".
But when our guests hear how excited we get about saving THEM five percent today and everyday at Target it makes them lineup to save up!

No one disputes that getting a red card is easy. But neither are other parts of working at Target. And I don't hear any kudos over the walkie for that.
Actually my store started changing that, trying to give mostly everyone shoutouts when possible since people complained about the lack of kudos on the floor and in the back.

Our old STL used to make in rain gift cards. "Next person to get a red card gets any $25 gift card we sell. Boom 2 minutes later I got one... Two hours later they made the same offer. Boom got another one.... 4 hour shift got a $50 southwest card lol.

What a stupid "prize" and it is so unprofessional. one of the last Redcards I got the closing LOD had to eat a redi-whip pie... ugh... so embarrassing!

No one disputes that getting a red card is easy. But neither are other parts of working at Target. And I don't hear any kudos over the walkie for that.
Same at my store. Our morale is so low that we had 2 great tls walk out, and another put in a transfer. We have also had 5 great tms quit. We are now royally fucked for q4. It's amazing how far some simple gratitude for hard goes.

I would have loved getting a nice big raise or bonus for all the Redcards I was bringing in!

My leaders give kudos over walkie for like good zones, good guest compliments, the other stuff usually gets recognized at huddles. And salesfloor people get redcards, too. A price change lady got one a few days ago. She walked the guest up for a cashier to do the process and get the credit though. Idgaf about the prizes and I hate that walkie shit so I never try to get them. Whenever I get one (by mistake) I ask the gsa or gstl to keep her mouth shut. They all get those stupid notifications though so it's pointless. I heard some stores use a code word so they're not shouting about swindling people into getting cards.

As a side note, I thought technically the cashier core role was to be asking guests to sign up and that getting sign ups isn't actually the core role.

Giving out gift cards for redcards is just plain stupid. All gift cards are suppose to be recorded and taxed by sending info to HROC. If your store isn't doing that now they will be soon, especially if someone catches wind of it. It also breeds a mentality of "what do I get today" By dangling a disproportionate gift in front of peoples faces it proves that they can be gotten.

Most of the time it's been just you get your food and drinks paid for at Food Ave or Starbucks for that day.

The first time I got a redcard and they were doing "prizes" I had a 15 minute break + got rewarded another 15 and in a "secret envelope" they handed me it said another 15 minute break. I enjoyed a nice 45 minute break lol.

Our store said if we reached our August RedCard goal(which we smashed it) we'd get a pizza party... almost 8 days into September and we still ain't got our pizza party. I've gotten 9 red cards now, but my 8th one didn't count towards me since they ended up doing it online in the store because they didn't have a voided check to do a debit card... GSTL told me he'd give me recognition for it but literally someone got a RC 15 minutes later and announced it but mine went and happened silently with only I knowing I got that redcard lol.

Last edited:
Giving out gift cards for redcards is just plain stupid. All gift cards are suppose to be recorded and taxed by sending info to HROC. If your store isn't doing that now they will be soon, especially if someone catches wind of it.

This has always been the case, but they're lazy. They don't always input it. I won two $20 gift cards for a survey contest (most name drops each day over a week long period. I won two days) years ago and only one of them ever showed up on my pay stub. Won $5 at couple huddle trivia contests and I don't think those ever appeared either.

I... Don't think there's anything wrong with the concept of having prizes though. Workers who feel appreciated are more productive. The appreciation doesn't always have to be gift cards or whatever but that's one way to do it.

Most of the time it's been just you get your food and drinks paid for at Food Ave or Starbucks for that day.

The first time I got a redcard and they were doing "prizes" I had a 15 minute break + got rewarded another 15 and in a "secret envelope" they handed me it said another 15 minute break. I enjoyed a nice 45 minute break lol.

Our store said if we reached our August RedCard goal(which we smashed it) we'd get a pizza party... almost 8 days into September and we still ain't got our pizza party. I've gotten 9 red cards now, but my 8th one didn't count towards me since they ended up doing it online in the store because they didn't have a voided check to do a debit card... GSTL told me he'd give me recognition for it but literally someone got a RC 15 minutes later and announced it but mine went and happened silently with only I knowing I got that redcard lol.

If i remember correctly online applications revert to the store closest to their home address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back