Archived Rules, no rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cashier gets prompted by register to issue a gift card. Cashier scans a card and writes the amount on the card, hands it to guest for them to use on a future visit.
Another cashier gives the guest $5 off of their current transaction and does not issue a card. WTF? That's wrong, isn't it?

HR takes a paid 15 minute break. She gets a soda and snack, and rings herself up. WTF???

GSA asks cashier to enter his employee number for discount when a family member is actually buying stuff. Cashier says no, only LOD's can approve that. Lazy GSA gets his employee card from his car, then hands it to cashier to discount family member. Shouldn't family member have their own card and if they're not eligible, then didn't the GSA just steal?

What the fuck is going on in my store????? I'm afraid to talk to anyone there since no one can keep a secret and I don't want to be the snitch. They take shifts away from snitches and I'm not in the mood to go job hunting.

Cashier gets prompted by register to issue a gift card. Cashier scans a card and writes the amount on the card, hands it to guest for them to use on a future visit.
Another cashier gives the guest $5 off of their current transaction and does not issue a card. WTF? That's wrong, isn't it?
Occasionally, the gift card prompt doesn't come up even if the required items are purchased (this usually happens on Sunday and is fixed by Monday). This is the only reason to give the $5 discount instead of the gift card. No one should give a $5 discount instead of the gift card if the gift card prompt pops up.

You are right. All of the transactions you wrote about shouldn't be happening at any Target. If you observe it happening, but are not directly involved with the transactions, call the hotline and give as many details as you can. AP will look into it.

The only one that might be justified is the $5 off instead of a gift card... Might be BoxCutter's described situation, might be a bitchy guest with the wrong merchandise, might be an old sign not taken down from the previous week. Or the cashier might have palmed the gift card and taken $5 off the guest's purchase so that they weren't technically stealing from the guest but rather from Target.

If you know you can trust your AP, talk to them. If not... yeah, call the Hotline.

Might be BoxCutter's described situation, might be a bitchy guest with the wrong merchandise, might be an old sign not taken down from the previous week
Thanks, Deli Ninja! I didn't think about those scenarios. Those are legit,too.

Instead of $5 off, we have the GSTL req a $5 gift card for the guest.

Tell ETL-AP about all the occurrences. He/she will keep your confidence and keep an eye on things. The TM probably won't get into the trouble, but the ETL AP will chat with the ETL-GE about procedure who will then chat with the TM.

I wouldn't worry about snitching to the AP. They love that sort of thing - keeps them in khaki! If it weren't for TM's screwing up, they'd have nothing to do every day!

If a guest expects a gift card they should get it, not $5 off their current transaction IMO. I'll give a gift card even if it's from an old sign that was not taken down (then take it down ASAP). If I don't get prompted to give a gift card when the ad says they get one, I give them one. But never a discount on the transaction in progress. I don't know why two cashiers think that's okay.

I had not thought of speaking with AP because I simply have no rapport with her. She's the silent shadow who sees all, but speaks nothing.
I honestly do not trust anyone to keep a confidence. My store is like high school.

One if our LODs insists we take $5.00 off one of the items purchased instead of giving a gift card or doing a coupon if we don't get a prompt for a gift card. (Old sign or wherever.) Another LOD has us do a $5.00 Target coupon.
I know I'm a broken record, but you can't get the same answer from any two people at my store to save your life. lol

How can someone possibly ring themselves up? I feel like my store goes through phases like this. People get too comfortable. But it doesn't last forever. Once a few heads roll, things get back to normal.

The reasoning behind a gift card is to entice guests to come back at a future date and spend more money.
So giving a discount on the current purchase defeats the purpose of a gift card. That's why I was questioning why any TM would do that other than cheating the system.

I'm more distressed about the TM who rang up their own stuff. That's just wrong.

I had to work with that lazy assed GSA last night and he did not bother to do his job, so I did not do it for him. The place is a wreck (not my area, that's clean and stocked) so he can get his ass chewed this morning, I dgaf.

Are you sure that your HR was not in training mode and ringing something for the store? Or maybe req'ing it for another team member who was dealing with something HR-related, or maybe was having a meltdown or crisis? We had a team member once find out at work that her brother had been killed in an accident--she was given a quiet office to wait in (her husband was on his way to get her) and a drink.

If your hr rang herself out the discount card being the same tm# must pop on an ap list somewhere...

We usually have to do the 5 dollar gift card scenario but instead of taking it off of an item or from their purchase we scan a gift card for five dollars as if they were buying it and add a Target coupon at the very end for five dollars.
That's a good method, I will definitely remember that in the future!

That's a good method, I will definitely remember that in the future!

That's how we do it when the guest deserves one but the register never prompted for one. We're allowed to do that, AP knows about it.

The HR ringing up stuff ... it was her brand of snacks so I automatically assumed it was for her break. Since I was not looking over her shoulder I don't have all the facts so I'm going to let it go and stop stressing over things.

If your hr rang herself out the discount card being the same tm# must pop on an ap list somewhere...

It wouldn't even go through. I tried once to see how much something would cost and when I tried numbers it says not allowed

The machine will not let you put in the same TM number for a discount that is used to log into the machine to ring.
I figured it would pop on a list or deny it. Sucks because a list would auto-report.

When I backup cashier I don't care if the person is lying about a $5 gc with purchase or not, especially if they're angry at me I'll throw the measly discount at them and wish them ado. I just ring up a GC for $5 and take $5 off another item. ETL GE knows about it and doesn't care since I'm just a backup

That's a surprise.
Ours always hardlocked if a TM was logged in & tried to use their own discount or ring up a dependent/friend/etc using their number.
Our problem was when family members had their own TM# & would ring out at with their husband/wife/mom/dad/kid's lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back