Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

computergeek93

Cashier
I had a guy come through last week, and he wouldn't let us even touch his ID. I'm not quite 18, so I needed to call my supervisor when I sold him the new Duke Nukem game. She asked to scan his ID to which he promptly replied "No. You can see it, but you ain't scannin' it" He told me that he doesn't even let people on our miltary base scan it to grant him entry.

Anyone else ever run into a guest with the same reaction to being carded?

We ended up typing in his DOB and letting him leave haha. He just wouldn't let us scan it cause his information would be in our system or some strange conspiracy theory stuff like that.

I get one really neurotic person who calls every time before she comes in to speak to the LOD to make sure someone can override her ID being scanned on buying her Nicorette. The only thing the system reads for that is her birthdate, but then she pays with her credit card, which holds more sensitive information. Go figure.

Also, did anyone else see that the Supreme Court ruled sales of "M" games can't be restricted to minors? What do you think we'll see at POS?

Also, did anyone else see that the Supreme Court ruled sales of "M" games can't be restricted to minors? What do you think we'll see at POS?

They only ruled that states could not make it illegal, there is nothing that keeps individual stores from setting sales policies.

I actually understand this whole scanning IDs. Back in college my freinds and I went to a bar where they scanned our IDs. A couple weeks later our home addresses starting receiving sample magazine. We got ones from Maxium, my mom hit the wall when she saw it, Men's health an Rolling Stone. Occasionally I still receive them.

Since then I will never allow a bar or store to scan my ID. The fact that all three of us are around the same age and went to the same bar an received the same magazines with in a few days of each other can't be coincidence.

I've never had anything happen due to having my ID scanned.

However I frequently have guests get upset when I asked to scan their ID. They think that (like someone mentioned) we obtain all this personal info on them and I can honestly say I've never heard of a guest complaint due to anything happening. I've gotten to just saying that the register is going to make me swipe an ID for whatever it is that they're purchasing. I've gotten less crap from guests by saying it that way. I let them know ahead of time that I can't override it AND I have to physically swipe it.

We just key 'em in. Anyone gets neurotic, we just tell 'em to write their congressman.

The only time I've had an ID issue with a guest was when this lady bought over $200 worth of clothes and tried to use her husband's credit card (her husband wasn't with her). I had to get the GSTL (who suggested calling her husband and having him come with his ID), and the lady ended up leaving without buying her stuff. Other than that, I've had guests get pissed that they have to take their ID out (because that cardholder is SO tight), but they still take it out anyways for me to scan.

I had a guy come through last week, and he wouldn't let us even touch his ID. I'm not quite 18, so I needed to call my supervisor when I sold him the new Duke Nukem game. She asked to scan his ID to which he promptly replied "No. You can see it, but you ain't scannin' it" He told me that he doesn't even let people on our miltary base scan it to grant him entry.

Anyone else ever run into a guest with the same reaction to being carded?

They are rare but it happens. All you tell them is simply..."If I can not scan your ID, then I can not sell you the game." lol

There are always people who are paranoid about what information is gathered from it. All we are gathering from the ID on a M-rated game purchase is an age verification. We are verifying that someone 18 yrs or older is purchasing the game. It goes to the video game companies that we are complying with the ESRB.

He is definitely going to have a hard time buying cold medicine later on.

They are rare but it happens. All you tell them is simply..."If I can not scan your ID, then I can not sell you the game." lol

There are always people who are paranoid about what information is gathered from it. All we are gathering from the ID on a M-rated game purchase is an age verification. We are verifying that someone 18 yrs or older is purchasing the game. It goes to the video game companies that we are complying with the ESRB.

He is definitely going to have a hard time buying cold medicine later on.

I haven't had a guest give me trouble when buying cold medicine, but they always seem surprised that they have to have ID. Like they didn't know people abuse it (Nyquil) or use it to make crystal meth (pseudoephedrine)... :rolleyes: They understand about alcohol, though, but they're absolutely shocked that I'm not allowed to scan it because I'm under 21.

I guess I can see where the guy was coming from, but like someone mentioned, the credit card you have contains way more information on it. Some people just have their preferences I guess. To be honest, I think the whole scanning/swiping IDs thing is kinda cool :cool: But that's me. When I start getting spam mail coinciding with a purchase, then I'll start guarding the thing haha!

I agree, it is kinda cool. As much of a pain as it might be for guests, it's better for preventing liabilities at our end. Well, except alcohol - that's still a pain because I have to get the GSTL to scan it.

I don't get the point in IDing for medicine. Yes people abuse it, but what does verifying that they have to be 18 do? They still going to abuse it and if they are a minor, they could just go to a local rite aid which doesn't ask for ID

I've had guests flagged for glue, solvents & the little firecrackers on sale for the 4th but it doesn't flag any more for cigarette lighters. Weird.

If I have a guest purchasing something over say $200 I ask for an id just to verify the name on the card and the ID match because my store is a high fraud and high theft store. Shoot we even have money pens for checking $20s $50s and $100s

As far as I know Target dose not do this except as noted by other posts for games/drug items. Does your store demans IDs for cc purchases if the card is signed and the card gets a routine authorization?

We have to check for ID for credit card purchases over $200. Even with all the protection the credit card companies offer, people still get their identities stolen. This safeguard is intended to help prevent that (because the protection offered by Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover/whoever apparently isn't enough). I always explain this to guests who don't understand why they need ID for such purchases, and they usually accept it.

But then again, who's to say a person couldn't just make lots of purchases under $200 each so they don't have to show ID for any of them?

As far as I know Target dose not do this except as noted by other posts for games/drug items. Does your store demans IDs for cc purchases if the card is signed and the card gets a routine authorization?
We don't ID on credit purchases but, on high dollar purchases, the register will ask to confirm the last 4 digits of the card.
Registers will flag for movies, games (17); chemicals, medicine, nicotine products, fireworks (18); beer & wine (21). For those we have to at least see the ID. Pharmacy actually scans it. Anyone who protests gets to talk to the LOD who can tell them what laws require it & why we won't sell it to them w/o ID.

I had a guest who was probably 50 or 60 years old get told he couldn't purchase beer because he didn't have his ID on him.

I thought that was kinda silly, it was really obvious he was over 21 just didn't have his ID on him.

We have to check for ID for credit card purchases over $200. Even with all the protection the credit card companies offer, people still get their identities stolen. This safeguard is intended to help prevent that (because the protection offered by Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover/whoever apparently isn't enough). I always explain this to guests who don't understand why they need ID for such purchases, and they usually accept it.

But then again, who's to say a person couldn't just make lots of purchases under $200 each so they don't have to show ID for any of them?

My store's policy is to check ID on EVERY credit purchase even as low as 1 cent (if it was even possible to get that low lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back