Archived Schedule Writing Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
I figured we needed a thread for schedule writers. Good tips and tricks for writing a good schedule.

General tips

1) know your states meal and break schedules. For example if you're in a 5 hour state it's more efficient go schedule someone 4 hours and 45 minutes then exactly 5 hours and them have to take a meal in the middle of their shift or risk violating compliance.

2) remember the companies rules for minors. Never before 7 or after 10. I have had them hit compliance by clocking in early or staying late. I don't schedule them until 705 so even if they clock in early (5 minute grace period) they don't clock in too early and I don't schedule them after 945 for that same reason, you never know if they'll make it to the timeclock.

3) when I can, I actually try to give team members two days off in a row. While some team members will unfortunately have to work every single weekend, I believe if you give them two days off in a row even if it's a Tuesday and Wednesday it becomes their own weekend.

3b) team members who are on their second or third day off are way more likely to come in for a shift when called in. When a team member has worked 3 days in a row and have one day off before working the next two they will probably decline your offer to come in on their one chance to breathe.

4) stagger your start times. So annoying we had 5 cashier's at 7am on black friday. Guess who all went to lunch at the same time?

5) give reliable tms day shifts. It's a little easier and you have more time to replace an evening callout. Sucks when it's 8am and your opening fitting room called out AGAIN. Who can I call? Oh wait all the other girls in softlines are in school.

6) whatever schedule mytime wrote. Delete it, mytime writes the worst schedules. No mytime we don't need someone in Starbucks an hour before our store opens. Half an hour is plenty of time, thank you much.

Last edited:
HR Tips

1) make sure you have an audit list. These are things to check each schedule before you post.

2) print a daily grid each day. Make sure you have enough closers in softlines and hardlines each day.

3) remember the face areas. Electronics beauty and fitting room should have open to close coverage and according to best practices should never be underscheduled.

4) don't forget a signing team to do the weekly ad.

5) make sure your seniors schedule matches the LOD schedule and don't forget to give them perimeter pay for opening and closing lod shifts

2) remember the companies rules for minors. Never before 7 or after 10. I have had them hit compliance by clocking in early or staying late. I don't schedule them until 705 so even if they clock in early they don't clock in too early and I don't schedule them after 945 for that same reason, you never know if they'll make it to the timeclock.
This one varies by state. 6:05 in my state for minors to start.

While the state may allow minors to work at that time Spot doesn’t allow them to work until 7 or at 10. In my state minors could start at 6 and end at 12 but spot would never allow that.

My understanding was Targets rules for start time and end time are universal. So even if your state allows them to work until 11, Target says they have to be out by 10.

Sorry, but a busy Starbucks needs to start at 7. We were 7:30 for several years, but now, half an hour is absolutely not enough time to be ready at 8--and it's busy at 8.

I guess it all depends on your store start time. We open at 7 and there is no rush when we open so 630 gives the opener plenty of time.

During q4 we have two openers.

Keep informed about local schedules and events that may affect your store's traffic. The high school's sporting events, late start/early dismissals, and teacher institute days are HUGE factors at my store.

Keep informed about local schedules and events that may affect your store's traffic. The high school's sporting events, late start/early dismissals, and teacher institute days are HUGE factors at my store.

Great point, our store dies when our NFL team is playing.

According to my hr minors have to leave by 9:45. Because some states say 10, company policy is by 9:45 to avoid any conflict.

I’ve definitely clocked in at 6:55 before... oh well.

Regarding Minor Work Hours:

Target has a universal end time of 10:00 PM for all states.

Start times vary from state to state.

Here is the info:

Minor Start Hours 1.jpg Minor Start Hours 2.jpg Minor Start Hours 3.jpg Minor Start Hours 4.jpg Minor Start Hours 5.jpg Minor Start Hours 6.jpg Minor Start Hours 7.jpg

According to my hr minors have to leave by 9:45. Because some states say 10, company policy is by 9:45 to avoid any conflict.

lol @:01 start times. interesting that my store has always told me 9:45... who knows.

What your HR said in your first post is mostly correct. There are indeed recommendations for stores to schedule minors to leave by 9:45PM to avoid hitting minor compliance.

I also lol'ed at the ":01" as well. :)

Last edited:
What your HR said in your first post is mostly correct. There are indeed recommendations for stores to schedule minors to leave by 9:45PM to avoid hitting minor compliance.

Yeah we have some who get lost on their way to the timeclock, we schedule them off at 9:45 and they don't make it until 9:57. The buffer is good!

When I was a minor I wasn’t allowed to stay past 9. Once I clocked out at 9:05 (nobody could cover SCO so I had to close it) and they freaked

our Starbucks needs the full hour as well.

The erase the schedule and start fresh is important. Followed by - input the fucking schedule your tls give you. Don't fuck over specialty tm because you feel like it's more important to plug anyone in to cashier, for two hours, in the middle of their fucking shift. Also don't schedule in more than two work centers, even ou'd its needed for payroll to balance. Or at least use shift tags.

Yeah we had like a week or two where my time did front end. It was horrible. It also has no idea how to schedule minors.

No mytime we don't need someone in Starbucks an hour before our store opens. Half an hour is plenty of time, thank you much.
30 min is not enough time to get things going in Starbucks. We have people lining up right at 7am. I give my other openers 1 hour - 45 mins to set-up. I cut time on my days opening. Often don't get everything done and try to multitask while I make people drinks. Which is frustrating and was frustrating for my team when they had to do it. So when hours need to be cut, I have my own schedule.

As for closing, my team stays 30min past Starbucks closing time to restock and wrap up cleaning. Because we would have people continuously come through out the night.

Keep in mind though, I work in a high volume Super Target in Minnesota (Target home Turf).

30 min is not enough time to get things going in Starbucks. We have people lining up right at 7am. I give my other openers 1 hour - 45 mins to set-up. I cut time on my days opening. Often don't get everything done and try to multitask while I make people drinks. Which is frustrating and was frustrating for my team when they had to do it. So when hours need to be cut, I have my own schedule.

As for closing, my team stays 30min past Starbucks closing time to restock and wrap up cleaning. Because we would have people continuously come through out the night.

Keep in mind though, I work in a high volume Super Target in Minnesota (Target home Turf).

Yeah at my lv. Starbucks isn't busy at 7. Our first rush is 730 after suburban mom's drop their kids off at school.

My first store our tl would so sets two hours before open. I'm shocked on a normal day it takes your opener almost two hours to open.

Mytime also schedules someone in cafe at 830 when we open at 10

Yeah, not 2 hours lol. Was typing on a phone and didn't feel like try to go back to edit it to 45min to 1 hour.

Our HR and ETL’s claim they got word from corporate to stop making manual edits and let the system generate everything. Could that be true? Only TL who has hands on the schedule is Starbucks/cafe all the others just give suggestions for minor edits. I wish they were still able to make it manually

Not at my store. Last Wednesday's huddle we had the two primary schedule-writing ETLs note that one reason they want us to start with our TLs rather than calling for LOD right off the bat is because they are both occupied writing the schedule on Wednesday nights.

Our HR and ETL’s claim they got word from corporate to stop making manual edits and let the system generate everything. Could that be true? Only TL who has hands on the schedule is Starbucks/cafe all the others just give suggestions for minor edits. I wish they were still able to make it manually

Yeah the best practice is for mytime to write certain areas. Specifically softlines, cashier and beauty.

Our store doesn't follow that.

The problem with mytime is it writes a schedule simply to have people working when there are people shopping.

Yes you need people when your store is busy but you can't fill the floor when you're on a lane or chasing callboxes.

All of us know you need a strong opening team to keep the store and a strong closing team to put it back together.

We are comping over 6% for the year with a task oriented opening team. Service oriented mids and a detailed team to close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back