Archived Seasonal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullwinkle72

Ermahgerd Terghet
We were told today that they’ll start letting seasonal go about Jan 14th... we seem to have an overload of seasonal. A soft lines colleague told me that the last few years they’ve only kept a handful of seasonal ughhh...

I've never seen a good seasonal team member get fired. Good ones will get to choose whether they want to stay or not. Although, I've spent most of my career at a store with higher than average turnover, so we even kept some bad seasonal team members just because we needed people...

It's not hard to get kept as a seasonal team member. We have about 48 left right now and around 15 of them are going to get offered regular employment.

Don't wait until the last minute to find out if you're going to be kept. Letting leaders know you want to stay, asking for feedback will let you know if you're in the running or not.

My store is starting seasonal reduction in December. For just in time team members you have to either let them go or make them permanent 7 weeks from their hire date.

It's not hard to get kept as a seasonal team member. We have about 48 left right now and around 15 of them are going to get offered regular employment.

This. It's literally as easy as 1) show up on time, 2) show interest in learning & ask questions 3) have a friendly attitude and 4) don't steal from the store. if little ol' dumb ass me can do it then so can anybody.

I heard that one of the biggest reasons they kept me on was that I'm willing to work whenever, including coming in on my day off. you aren't obligated to do that but they definitely appreciate flexibility

I already know a seasonal I hope is staying, he could if he wanted to.

A lot can change between now and Jan 14 especially with increase in traffic. The overflow will likely start to shrink and increase your chance of staying. Also some veterans may crack too so those positions will need filled too. Some seasonals don’t want to stay so that helps narrow down the field as well.

Our best seasonal hire is not going to stay, which sucks. Honestly, she's the only one worth a damn. The rest are there for the paycheck and don't give a shit about coming clean (or doing much other than check their phones every 5 minutes. Who could possibly be texting you at 3am on a Tuesday morning?).

Our log srtl has let a couple seasonal flow tms go already. Simply because they weren't even trying . They were literally just walking around not even pretending to do anything . From what I have heard 85=90 percent of our seasonal flow will be gone . I will also add I started out as seasonal and that was 22 "seasonals" ago.

Last edited:
We have a really good bunch of seasonals this year. We are going to have to let some good ones go, because we just can't support them.

We have a group of Seasonals that seem to have slipped under the "training" radar. They have NO CLUE what their job is! Their perception of their job is talking/BS-ing at the Fitting Room when "they are bored". (who in the hell is bored in A&A ???) They eat and drink at the Fitting Room because they "can" (?). They text on their phones and call their buddies cuz no one is needing their help in the Fitting Room. ( um... what?????) They don't "zone" because there is no accountability in the evenings..... AND....they've learned to tell the LOD that they've been assisting Guests ALL night. Oh, sure you have.
My only hope is the inevitable "seasonal" termination. Buh- Bye, bitches.

We have a really good bunch of seasonals this year. We are going to have to let some good ones go, because we just can't support them.

Yeah my personal peeve is when you convert a seasonal to regular, they have unrealistic hours expectations and then they quit hurting your retention.

We are going to keep the good seasonals with another job, in high school and those who are cross trained because they can survive when hours go to help in February.

My only hope is the inevitable "seasonal" termination.

Your softlines tL needs to wake up. My ETL wanted to keep her seasonal softlines just to push truck but our tl spoke up noting that it's killing morale for her team to push while the lazy seasonals text on their phone or take 3 hours to push a Z. She termed two on one day and I think the message got across we don't have time for loafers.

So as a seasonal hoping to stay on, should I request fewer hours? Or tell someone that I’m fine if they schedule me for less?

I have been working close to 40 each week (making sure to stay below) with about 32-35 of those scheduled and picking up an extra shift each week usually.

Honestly looking for any advice or tips to try to earn a full-time spot and/or any info about when seasonals are informed that they’re getting dropped...

Yeah my personal peeve is when you convert a seasonal to regular, they have unrealistic hours expectations and then they quit hurting your retention.

We are going to keep the good seasonals with another job, in high school and those who are cross trained because they can survive when hours .

Heck, I'd love to stay on , and be scheduled for next to no hours. I'm happy to have my discount!

So as a seasonal hoping to stay on, should I request fewer hours? Or tell someone that I’m fine if they schedule me for less?

I wouldn't request less hours but I would let the TL know you would love to stay on if there is room and let them know you understand hours go down in q1.

Honestly looking for any advice or tips to try to earn a full-time spot and/or any info about when seasonals are informed that they’re getting dropped...

Varies by store but anywhere from late December to mid January. The key is to not drop off in performance

We had some seasonals start off really well then start to slack as time went on. Keep going above and beyond to the point they can't imagine running the store without you.

We have this hardlines seasonal who is a better worker than all our regulars. Better availability. Quicker with reshop.

Last edited:
Something tells me it's not their first rodeo.

We had some seasonals start off really well then start to slack as time went on. Keep going above and beyond to the point they can't imagine running the store without you.

This is our big issue right now, a lot of seasonals think that they are in the clear, and just shrug it off when i tell them that it seriously slows down next quarter, to the point where we only need one SFS person there for half a day really, and the backroom can come clean every night. But they keep thinking that it'll be a daily battle of 100's of orders and backstock everywhere...

I have been working close to 40 each week (making sure to stay below) with about 32-35 of those scheduled and picking up an extra shift each week usually.

Ask for one. Be blunt but give reasons to back up your decision. If you are flexible and work hard, there is no reason why you shouldnt be picked.

Cross-train. I asked to be cross trained throughout the store (on overnight flow) and because I bust my ass and show up every shift I'm scheduled, I rarely had less than 40 hours...even in February and March.

Cross-train. I asked to be cross trained throughout the store (on overnight flow) and because I bust my ass and show up every shift I'm scheduled, I rarely had less than 40 hours...even in February and March.

I have a question about this: I am also a seasonal who wants to be kept on. But I'm only trained for SFS. I know it's one of the busier departments right now (or, at least, it was last week. Yesterday was pretty mellow). I also overheard that the workers in my department don't usually get many hours just before Christmas because they can't guarantee anyone ordering anything. Is that true? If so, could I ask to be crosstrained then? Who do I ask to be allowed to crosstrain?

My STL knows that I'm flexible with working anywhere in the store, because I told him so during my interview. Would he possibly consider that when choosing which seasonals to keep on?

We have a seasonal who loves to spend 10 minutes sitting on the floor zoning the bottom shelves.

One of my CA trainees runs the cart pusher in turtle. Ha! 45 minutes to make a path around the lot. I'm starting to think morbidly obese TM's don't make good CAs.

We have a group of Seasonals that seem to have slipped under the "training" radar. They have NO CLUE what their job is! Their perception of their job is talking/BS-ing at the Fitting Room when "they are bored". (who in the hell is bored in A&A ???) They eat and drink at the Fitting Room because they "can" (?). They text on their phones and call their buddies cuz no one is needing their help in the Fitting Room. ( um... what?????) They don't "zone" because there is no accountability in the evenings..... AND....they've learned to tell the LOD that they've been assisting Guests ALL night. Oh, sure you have.
My only hope is the inevitable "seasonal" termination. Buh- Bye, bitches.

Please don't be talking about my store. I've been on vacation and will be going back fairly soon.

We have a seasonal who loves to spend 10 minutes sitting on the floor zoning the bottom shelves.

Clarification needed. If I've got a bunch of messed up shirts on the bottom shelf, you can bet I'm going to be sitting on the floor while fixing them. The only other option is to squat and then my folds aren't nearly as neat as my balance is a bit shaky and I wobble.

Of course!

But this person only does the bottom shelves.

Har!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back