Archived Self-Checkout coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cashiers will be axed. I was coached on Red Cards and pretty much said cashiers will have to go and who will go, the one's with the lowest conversion scores, even though those cashiers are the guests favorite because they do NOT try to shove the redcard at them

People need to stop acting surprised about being coached for RedCards!

It's in the core roles, and if you don't make a conscious effort to push them, that's your fault. Most coachings I've witnessed were on people who didn't try.

They make Target money, which means more hours. People with RedCards will spend up to 30% more which means more sales for your store, and if you exceed sales you gain flex hours (or at the very least they won't cut as much).

Ugh. Not looking forward to this. I worked at a supermarket for my first job and went through the transitional period of adding self-service registers. The machine both verbally and visually told shoppers what to do and people still were stupid. How many times a day do we have to explain to someone how to use a card reader and now we expect them to be able to ring themselves up, bag, AND pay?! Yeah ... good luck with that.

This is great for 2 reasons

1. I'm tired of same cashier asking me if I want to open a damn redcard

2. I'm tired of waiting in line, just to have the person in front of me open a redcard causing me to wait out my lunch becuase the gstl speedweeave/w.e the guest behind the tm when they open a new lane.

seriously, is that a rule, to take the guest right behind the tm? like i have nothing better to do that wait in line on my break?

This is great for 2 reasons

1. I'm tired of same cashier asking me if I want to open a damn redcard

2. I'm tired of waiting in line, just to have the person in front of me open a redcard causing me to wait out my lunch becuase the gstl speedweeave/w.e the guest behind the tm when they open a new lane.

seriously, is that a rule, to take the guest right behind the tm? like i have nothing better to do that wait in line on my break?
Years ago...I had a gstl tell a guest behind me she would ring her up before me...The guest looked at her and said no...he was waiting in line I am not going to cut in front of him. The gstl then said HE ( me) knows that guests come first...I turned around looked at the guest and said go ahead She called my by name ( still had name tag on) and said thank you .. I will admit I was embarrassed and pissed...but I had only been with Spot a few years at that point...so I thought maybe it was " normal" to do this. The next day, I was telling co workers what had happened....well they informed me that when I am off the clock...I am a guest just like anyone else. So, I decided to go to the hr etl and talk to her about it ....I knocked on her door and went in...she said oh..I was coming to find you a guest called last night and told .......(stl) that ........( the gstl) was rude to you in front of a guest....Well, to make a long story short....the guest had called the store and complained how the gstl had treated me. She had to apologize to me and formally told me that I was a valued guest as well... Karma...gotta love it .

Last edited:

It's in the core roles, and if you don't make a conscious effort to push them, that's your fault. Most coachings I've witnessed were on people who didn't try.

They make Target money, which means more hours. People with RedCards will spend up to 30% more which means more sales for your store, and if you exceed sales you gain flex hours (or at the very least they won't cut as much).

There is no proof of this. Yes, REDcard users spend more money, but is that because they have a card or did they get the card because they spend more money already?

There is no proof of this. Yes, REDcard users spend more money, but is that because they have a card or did they get the card because they spend more money already?

As @Rock Lobster has said several times with regards to Red Cards, correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

I would reckon a good portion of the money generated by Red Cards comes from interest and late payment fees rather than increased sales. And let's be realistic - how much of that money is actually spent on payroll and store operations?

Since Target no longer has the bank holdings on these cards, I can't imagine they make much that way.

Meanwhile many stores have gotten rid of them like Cosco and Ikea because they are bad for service, slow because most people have no idea what they are doing and theft skyrockets.

All of these were reasons Target vetoed the idea of self checkouts over 10 years ago. The "bad for service" was a major point.

It is shrinkage nightmare.. The new machines will have guns for guests to use on their creamer. That should be fun.

Me: sir, use the gun
Guest: this thing won't ring
Me: sir use the gun on the barcode
Guest: why won't this work.
Me: sir use the gun like this (as I take the gun out of the holster and scan it for him)
Guest: oh, they should have directions.
Me: that's ok sir, now you know how to do it.
Guest: where do I put my money?
Me: right here sir. No, here, no sir, where the flashing green arrow is.. Oh wait, you just put your money In the coupon redemption area.
Guest:where is my change?
Me: hold on sir, I have to retrieve your money, can you step to the side so I can open the door.
Guest: oh, I guess I put it in the wrong spot.
Me: that's ok sir. Here you go. Let me shut the door and I will put it in the bill area.
Guest: oh thank you. You have been very nice
Me: have a great day sir.

Next guest: self check out sure is slow. You should get rid of them and get more real people in here.
Me: I'm sorry Mam, would you like me to help you?
Guest.. No I can do it myself.
Me: ok. Thank you.

And that's 10 minutes into my 7 hour shift.

Hope they fix the scales so that the slightest movement in a bag no longer stops the machine from working until a gstl/cashier puts their numbers in.

Me:hold on, let me put my numbers in so you can continue.
Guest: all I did was put my things in the bag.
Me: I know, it's not you, the machine is sensitive.
Guest: why does it keep doing that?
Me: I'm not sure, it has something to do with the weight. This whole metal rectangle is a scale.
Guest: oh.
Me: smile and move to the next guest.

Guest: why do I have to give you the numbers on my credit card?
Me: your order is over 100.00. They want us to make sure there is an actual person with the card. It's for your protection.
Guest: I never had to do that before. No wonder you have long lines here.
Me: I'm sorry Mam. Your receipt will process out in a few seconds. Have a great day.

The good part is that it moves guests through faster. The bad part is that it slows up everything.. Ha ha, you won't get that until you have them in your stores.

If the new hardware/software works then it should be great. If not, welcome to the target front end nightmare.

The original system used older technology with limited memory on each machine, which meant the checkout process was slow and machines crashed frequently, requiring 40-to-60-minute reboots.

The only difference in the SCO that didn't work and our current POS is that it only takes 8 minutes to reboot. Perhaps if the POS software on the current registers worked properly, we wouldn't need SCO.

The store I shop at most often has 4 SCOs. I'm assuming they're the old model.

I hate them.

They don't take Cartwheel.
Some coupons don't go through and require a TM to override them.
The coupon sensor broke on one machine.
Receipts stop printing.
Special purchase deals sometimes don't work (buy 3 get 1 free type sales).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I hope the new SCOs work much better!

Part of me is really hoping our store gets these but really doesn't want to deal with them either. I get so tired of walking back and forth from sales floor to ring someone up with a dang candy bar. Or walking all the way up there and then, "cancel that backup team we're okay." Really? However, I can only image guest with their "it was in clearance" "I was suppose to be x amount" ect ect. Plus what about things that require ID? That seems like a pain.

However I don't see where we could even fit them in at our store to be honest...

Considering how crappy equipment maintenance is at our store, I imagine these will break down quickly & sit idle until our SFT EVENTUALLY gets to it. Whenever we tell him something is wrong, he asks "Didja put in a work order?" If the answer is 'no' or 'not yet', he says "Well get with me when you put it in."

We have sco at our store and it is a nightmare! When they were working (about 5 months ago) every 5 minutes or so a gues would flag down the gstl; why are these things so stupid?!
"Oh sorry ma'am but it asked if you were using your own bag and you said yes. Now it would like to know how many"
"I don't have my own bag!"
"Ok just hit the 0 button"
Well this is stupid!

Then they started crashing one by one. We were down to 3 then to 2 then 1 lone sco. "When are you going to fix your sco?" "I don't know sir, they are working on some upgrades. In the meantime I can ring you up right over here" "well you should have the sco open this is stupid!"

Now it has been 5 months without sco and we received an email saying hopefully by next week they should be up and runnin! Oh joy. I don't know which is worse having them working and dumb guests complaining about them or having them not working and dumb guests complaining?

How long until these machines quit or are termed because of their failure to ask the guest about red cards?..

Also I hope they are congratulated...

Team, I'd Like to congratulate R6-5D, their 2nd Red Card of the day. For their reward we will be giving them Software update number 3!

Considering how crappy equipment maintenance is at our store, I imagine these will break down quickly & sit idle until our SFT EVENTUALLY gets to it. Whenever we tell him something is wrong, he asks "Didja put in a work order?" If the answer is 'no' or 'not yet', he says "Well get with me when you put it in."

I have to agree with the SFT, they have a workload they have to follow, so unless its spewing water, sewage or on fire. Put the work order in.. The quicker you get to it the faster he/she can get parts if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back