Archived Self-Checkout coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly there will be no express self checkout on our machines.
I have an extreme love hate relationship with self checkout. Ours also haven't been working for months. I love that they aren't working because they crashed CONSTANTLY. I hate that they aren't working because we need more backups.
To bad MyTime hasn't figured out that we need more cashiers to compensate for the fact that all the self checkouts are down.
I heard they may be going back up in the next week or so. We will see.

Oh, and to those of you who don't have them and are getting them, be aware that they don't accept checks. I looked at the new hardware they installed on our machines but have not seen a check reader. So there is one unresolved issue. I'm sure it's so we can ask those check users if they want to get a target debit card that links to their checking. They never are happy that we either have to suspend their order to ring it out on a register, or re-ring the whole thing on another register because sco crashed. Hopefully the crashing part will not happen anymore.

I want a red box, an arcade with maybe Mortal Kombat 3 or House of the Dead or Time Crisis, and a vending machine that has canned sodas. Come on team, we got this.

"unless its spewing water, sewage or on fire"

It seems as though everything in my store does one of those all the time. Heavy sigh. Poor SFT is running all the time.

PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA
UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA

a

a

F---ing this. I used to love self checkouts at grocery stores until they added that stupid scale in. Now I only use them if I just have a couple of items to purchase.

a

And I thought the machines at Tops and BJ's were annoying...

Alright_Let_s_Do_This.jpg

Our grocery store, Giant, has handheld scanners that guests can use to scan their products and bag them as they shop (they charge $.05 per plastic bag so most people bring their own). When finished, the guest can go to the checkout, type in their bonus card, and their order appears on the screen. Pretty simple and they will do an audit on every so many orders (scan 10 items to make sure they are there). We'll see this in Target in 10-15 years and they'll call it "new".

Our grocery store, Giant, has handheld scanners that guests can use to scan their products and bag them as they shop (they charge $.05 per plastic bag so most people bring their own). When finished, the guest can go to the checkout, type in their bonus card, and their order appears on the screen. Pretty simple and they will do an audit on every so many orders (scan 10 items to make sure they are there). We'll see this in Target in 10-15 years and they'll call it "new".

Albertsons tried piloting a program like that in the late 90s. It bombed horribly. People "accidentally" forgot to scan items as they were shopping or scanned a cheaper version of the product. Audits were done by receipt examination and since items are abbreviated on receipts, it was very easy to trick them. I don't think that program ever made it past the test phase.

Albertsons tried piloting a program like that in the late 90s. It bombed horribly. People "accidentally" forgot to scan items as they were shopping or scanned a cheaper version of the product. Audits were done by receipt examination and since items are abbreviated on receipts, it was very easy to trick them. I don't think that program ever made it past the test phase.

Blew my mind when I saw this method of buying groceries and checking out. So simple but I'd imagine the risks are high. I'm not sure what triggers an audit but I've been audited 3 times in the past 6 months. Giant seems to be offering tons of options to either gain or retain customers. They now have free online ordering and pick-up and their delivery option is very cheap in comparison to taking a 2 year old to the grocery store.

Blew my mind when I saw this method of buying groceries and checking out. So simple but I'd imagine the risks are high. I'm not sure what triggers an audit but I've been audited 3 times in the past 6 months. Giant seems to be offering tons of options to either gain or retain customers. They now have free online ordering and pick-up and their delivery option is very cheap in comparison to taking a 2 year old to the grocery store.

Yaaas to both of these. Their online grocery shopping is amazing.

This is the BEST news. One of our major competitors (not Wally) has more self checkouts than they do regular registers. Everyone just rings themselves up. They even have self checkout belted lanes.

Yeah I can hear them now

"With the self checkout you won't have to worry about the guests that are in a rush and thus less likely to sign up for a red card! Your conversion goal is now 10%."

10%'s pretty easy anyway. Just work at the service desk all day, and get 0 prompts :p

Okay, I take back all the bad things I said about self checkout. Just used it at my store and they updated it so it takes Cartwheel and Target mobile coupons now. Zipped through my coupons pretty quickly with the hand scanner too.

I am really hoping we don't get these... I like my longer hours. my concern about these would be the dishonest guests who choose to not be honest about what they are buying. I am one of very few TMs who cares about BOB and LISA,

Yeah, Thinking I'm going to put this out of it's misery so we can move on to the new pain of self checkout.

Its sometimes amusing watching people trying to get the price scanners to work on the sales floor. People who hold the item against the scanner. Those same dimwits will be the ones who go through the self checkouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back