SFQs. How To Build Into. Routine?

I’ve unofficially designated myself as DBO of Beauty. I’ve been part of a remodel team and just feel general ownership of of the department. I’m the only experienced member on the team with newbies that I want to train. With all the other necessary things to provide for a well-run department, how often do you do SFQs and how do you build it into a routine?

SFQ immediately following the set of any planogram or revision. SFQ anytime items are flexed. I do an outs scan daily after doing freight and pulls and check/correct the capacity and SFQ while doing it. I also check if it seems that I received too much or have a lot of backstock for an item. If nobody else is messing with it, you should theoretically have to only do it right after a set. One thing to remember in Beauty is to check expiration dates and rotate your products that have them.

I update SFQ when I push one for one batches and have items that didn’t fit out onto the floor so that the system knows it’s full... I’m not in beauty but that’s how I did it

Any item you backstock is realistically all you need to update. If it’s not in the backroom the SFQ really doesn’t matter so I ask my team to update every item they backstock. Obviously if you come across a wrong number you should just fix it but I’m not asking them to constantly go find wrong numbers to fix.

Last edited:
Any item you backstock is realistically all you need to update. If it’s not in the backroom the SFQ really doesn’t matter so I ask my team to update every item they backstock. Obviously if you come across a wrong number you should just fix it but I’m not asking them to constantly go find wrong numbers to fix.

I love this mindset! This is how I prefer to deal with SFQ/SFC as well. I didn't choose to work in retail to spend an inordinate amount of time doing data entry. I will fix what I see is wrong, beyond that, it doesn't matter so much. Retail changes happen to fast or too often to spend that much time constantly tweaking counts.

SFQ immediately following the set of any planogram or revision. SFQ anytime items are flexed. I do an outs scan daily after doing freight and pulls and check/correct the capacity and SFQ while doing it. I also check if it seems that I received too much or have a lot of backstock for an item. If nobody else is messing with it, you should theoretically have to only do it right after a set. One thing to remember in Beauty is to check expiration dates and rotate your products that have them.

This seems a little over the top, maybe in a perfect world yes, but realistically not feasible to keep it consistant. I would spend the time elsewhere TBH and just SFQ when backstocking or pushing like gsalyfe said.

This seems a little over the top, maybe in a perfect world yes, but realistically not feasible to keep it consistant. I would spend the time elsewhere TBH and just SFQ when backstocking or pushing like gsalyfe said.
Which part is over the top? (not DBO in beauty, but am in another area) Capacities and SFQ should always be done when setting. Daily out scans are required by our ETL.

I'm not in beauty but my rule is that you always adjust SFQ when you backstock something. Adjust sfq, adjust capacity, backstock, audit. If your stuff is properly zoned and located, your inventory will always be close enough to perfect that way.

So let's say I adjust SFQ during backstocking. I'm assuming it's best to backstock to a location first, then adjust SFQ. But does it matter if we do it the other way around?

So let's say I adjust SFQ during backstocking. I'm assuming it's best to backstock to a location first, then adjust SFQ. But does it matter if we do it the other way around?

I have not found that it matters. I always adjust the SFQ before I backstock, sometimes there are just too many items to remember what the SFQ for each actually is. I adjust as I find them, then backstock everything all at once.

I have not found that it matters. I always adjust the SFQ before I backstock, sometimes there are just too many items to remember what the SFQ for each actually is. I adjust as I find them, then backstock everything all at once.

Same situation with me. Thank you.

My routine has has been updating sfq/capacity when i fill a location or zeroing when its empty if you do that everything should fix itself eventually. Worked snack/candy/beverage in order to get ready for inventory, it was a disaster to start, and had them fixed in about a little over a month. Went from an unreasonable workload to being able to conplete it daily, provided i didnt get taken to do many other tasks 😂

I update when I set Endcaps, set REV/POG on any known "trouble spots," and spot check whenever there is backstock from freight or a 1-4-1.

I have one POG that always has Super Crazy High Capacities, and one POG I have personally adjusted to make my life easier (so capacities are manually lowered on each item) and other POGs that don't account for the pusher (so have to -1 for virtually all the product to allow for the space taken up by the pusher/zone free fixture.)

Last edited:

No. The system doesn't adjust sfq if you backstock something. Only if you delete a location, then it assumes that you put as much as would fit into the other locations before backstocking.

Back