MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Im plannin to store all the blackfriday bins in signing area and fixture room.

Any luck on the store specific hours pdf?

Your store should have their Black Friday schedule made, and by extension, they'll know their opening time.

We still don't have the reindeer overheads or bows. All we have are the headless Santas and the directional signs for seasonals. Our store looks bare compared to other stores I've been in. I think we're finally getting them this week, after several back and forths between my signing spec and corporate.
We don't have ANY overheads up. Still don't have the hooks. We escalated the Mysupport.:mad:

I asked my STL today about the store hours. He didn't have any info about it. And he didn't seem too worried about it. So I guess I'm not either.

Im plannin to store all the blackfriday bins in signing area and fixture room.

Any luck on the store specific hours pdf?

Your store should have their Black Friday schedule made, and by extension, they'll know their opening time.
My STL printed the store hours via her Redwire.

thank you.
I asked my STL today about the store hours. He didn't have any info about it. And he didn't seem too worried about it. So I guess I'm not either.
mine too but he wanted it to be done.

Hey I have a couple quick questions about promo signing. I didn't do Black Friday last year and so I'm a little lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) Is there a way to do the colored dots for A&A in a quick/organized way? I didn't receive any communication about them until last night and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the layout of the Softlines racks. (Our TL/ETL doesn't do the ad maps, usually the softlines TMs just put the signs up before store open.)
2) I got a huge stack of 3x5s for DVD shippers that presumably won't go up... but, I haven't seen anything for the DVDs in-line. Do I need to change all the locations?
3) How are you prepping the signs for the shippers and bulk bins. I think I have a decent way of doing it, but there might be a smarter way. (I'm writing which lettered group they are in on the map and the planogram number for the bin.)
Man, these sound like stupid questions as I'm writing these down, but as prepared as I thought I was there was a lot of information that I was missing until last night.

If any of the long time signing ninjas have the time maybe you can take a look at the wiki of the signing job description and add to it as you see fit.
It's kind of bare bones now and could use some love.

If any of the long time signing ninjas have the time maybe you can take a look at the wiki of the signing job description and add to it as you see fit.
It's kind of bare bones now and could use some love.

Thank you for posting this, @commiecorvus. We could use info about both the workcenter (how ISM signing works in the store, responsibilities, periodic tasks, equipment used, etc.) and the signing TM position (clerical info, i.e. core roles and such). A lot of things have changed throughout the company since the wiki was started in 2011, and I'm sure signing is no exception. If you're well-informed about signing but don't have wiki savvy, I can help get it organized and formatted.

lol since forever... cant say merry christmas anymore incase you offend someone its ridiculous

That whole "can't say merry christmas" thing is something that I'm pretty sure Fox News made up.

This ^.

I"m Jewish and don't care if someone says Merry Christmas to me.
I always say Happy Holidays because I'm not going to assume what their holiday is, especially considering I lived a state that had one of the most diverse populations in the US.

There is no war on Christmas.
The damn holiday has swallowed Thanksgiving and is working Halloween.
it took a big chunk when the lights were out before halloween candy.

Hey I have a couple quick questions about promo signing. I didn't do Black Friday last year and so I'm a little lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) Is there a way to do the colored dots for A&A in a quick/organized way? I didn't receive any communication about them until last night and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the layout of the Softlines racks. (Our TL/ETL doesn't do the ad maps, usually the softlines TMs just put the signs up before store open.)
2) I got a huge stack of 3x5s for DVD shippers that presumably won't go up... but, I haven't seen anything for the DVDs in-line. Do I need to change all the locations?
3) How are you prepping the signs for the shippers and bulk bins. I think I have a decent way of doing it, but there might be a smarter way. (I'm writing which lettered group they are in on the map and the planogram number for the bin.)
Man, these sound like stupid questions as I'm writing these down, but as prepared as I thought I was there was a lot of information that I was missing until last night.
Our DVDs shippers are up in softlines. Start building now. Take a small section of the back room rung, with a big sign saying do not throw away! Some of the corners signs, may be needed later on.

I've been a signing person for a few months and I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I just kind of build stuff when it comes in and put stuff up after it's set. My training was miniscule, and I feel like every TL in the store likes to steal me for every other purpose, even though the fixture room looks like garbage perpetually and I'm always behind on things. I can see that if I was given time to organize the mess that was left for me months ago, this job would be super easy, but everyday I walk into more stuff piled into the fixture room and more unrelated tasks that need to be completed.

I think the job is right up my alley, but I'm not allowed to do the job, it seems.

Having said that, Christmas stuff went okay. I'm doing a poor job, but not poor enough that people are mad. Well, they're not telling me they're mad anyway. I just hope they realize it's not my fault...

As long as you stay on top of ordering what ISM is missing and keep a constant flow of label holders/fastbacks/printer paper, you shouldn't get any big complaints. Now that Christmas is over, our workload will be next to nothing (perfect time for my week long vacation!), so you should have plenty of time to do some organizing ie throw away any ISM over 2 months old. It seems like being the signing team member means being the only person who actually reads the whole planogram before asking for help, so don't expect your TL's/ETL's/pog tm's to stop bugging you daily.

I can't order anything. The whole thing is a big dumb story and I don't know why they haven't given me SAP privileges. I liked it better when I was in my other position where I couldn't see how incompetent the management is at my store.

Talk to your HR and your STL about SAP privileges. You need access! Talk to your STL about getting hours to organize the fixture room. When you do, let other team leaders know that your on a special project and you won't be able to help them. Stick to the plan and don't walk away no matter what. Once your fixture room is clean, you will definitely feel a lot better. You will know where everything is and you will know what you are low on so you can reorder.

As long as you stay on top of ordering what ISM is missing and keep a constant flow of label holders/fastbacks/printer paper, you shouldn't get any big complaints. Now that Christmas is over, our workload will be next to nothing (perfect time for my week long vacation!), so you should have plenty of time to do some organizing ie throw away any ISM over 2 months old. It seems like being the signing team member means being the only person who actually reads the whole planogram before asking for help, so don't expect your TL's/ETL's/pog tm's to stop bugging you daily.
A week long vacation sounds good!

I can't order anything. The whole thing is a big dumb story and I don't know why they haven't given me SAP privileges. I liked it better when I was in my other position where I couldn't see how incompetent the management is at my store.

Do you have access to Mysupport? When I got into my plano position I mysupported for access to SAP. They sent me back a reply a few days later and now I have access. HR can't do it for you. Just mysupport that you are a new signing TM and you need access.

Your HR etl should be able to enable access for you, mine got me both TIPP and SAP access on the spot (for some reason it didn't carry over between systems).

I have a couple questions. I am trying to clear out the signing area and I have yet to be able to go to another store to be trained. The first is, my ETL-Log told me that when breaking down a signing pallet I am to separate out anything that is for softlines signing or salesplans signing because the salesfloor does them with the pogs they set (unless it is an overhead). My ETL over the salesfloor told me this is untrue, I need to own ALL signing that comes in and only ask for assistance from the salesfloor if absolutely necessary. How is it done at other stores? The second question is, how long do you keep old displays that are being replaced by newer ones that are still Active just not on planogram? I was told not to toss anything until it reads discontinued, just put a note on it with the date it was removed and store it until further notice. Any other random information anyone else can throw in would be much appreciated.

Going to have to answer based on my store since the basic rule of this board is (as sung to the tune the Monty Python song Every Sperm is Sacred) Every Store is Different.

For Softlines there is are boxes that monthly signing boxes.
These are tables and such.
I would drop them off in the storage closet and the softlines crew would go through them to use when they set.
The big signs were my job.

There was one big box which was for sales planners and in my store the TL usually set the sales planners or there were specific people who did (electronics or market).
I would mark everything what was in the box big with sharpie in great big letters so they would know.

Keeping old displays is tough.
Some like Christmas wrap ones, they will always send you new ones but others you never know.
But if it takes up a great deal of room that you don't have and has been around more than a year, throw it out, no matter what anyone says.

Last edited:
I asked this in another thread, hopefully someone can help in this one. I need the part number for the 4 pocket adhesive label holders that you stick on the backside of endcap boards to insert the planogram header labels. If you have a new pack, the part number is on the baggie. I've tried every combination of descriptions in SAP and none work. HELP! My Support doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. surprise surprise

Thank you inigma. I did find a baggie while super cleaning our fixture room today. Nothing on it. My support asked me to send them a photo. Anyone know how to send my support a photo?

Does someone have their new store manuals? Maybe the part number is in there?

Back