MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Well backer paper isn’t cardboard so it really shouldn’t be placed in the baler. I believe the paper also has a waxy film on it making it non recyclable with paper either as the direction has always been to trash it.

Backer paper has always had the Baler Recycle symbol on it. The list of items that can go in the baler (posted on the baler itself) also lists paper as acceptable. We put old label strips in there regularly.

Somehow I thought backer went in the new recycle bin program that you can also put label strips holders etc in .

Anyone know the number for JUST the clips on the 7X11 sign holder? Weirdly we keep losing them. (Total sarcasm) I remember seeing a number with them when we first got them but not since then.

Anyone know the number for JUST the clips on the 7X11 sign holder? Weirdly we keep losing them. (Total sarcasm) I remember seeing a number with them when we first got them but not since then.

I believe if you order 7x11 holders you will get the new new ones- they redesigned them again and now they look like a hybrid of the old ones and the ones with separate clips. A huge improvement in quality from both the old ones and the flimsy ones with clips. If I remember Monday, I can check part numbers but I don't recall seeing a separate number for clips only.

I believe if you order 7x11 holders you will get the new new ones- they redesigned them again and now they look like a hybrid of the old ones and the ones with separate clips. A huge improvement in quality from both the old ones and the flimsy ones with clips. If I remember Monday, I can check part numbers but I don't recall seeing a separate number for clips only.
The new 7 by 11 number is 4631411.

They are so much better.

Backer paper has always had the Baler Recycle symbol on it. The list of items that can go in the baler (posted on the baler itself) also lists paper as acceptable. We put old label strips in there regularly.
Backer paper has never been allowed in the baler but recently approved in the new revamped mixed recycling program. The baler is specifically cardboard only as paper isn’t recycled the same way.

Attachments

• IMG_4828.jpeg
    IMG_4828.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 19
Backer paper has never been allowed in the baler but recently approved in the new revamped mixed recycling program. The baler is specifically cardboard only as paper isn’t recycled the same way.

We're going to have to disagree on this because you are never going to convince me backer paper has never been baler-friendly when I know it has. I will concede it may have changed recently with the new recycling program as I do not deal with backer paper as much anymore.

We're going to have to disagree on this because you are never going to convince me backer paper has never been baler-friendly when I know it has. I will concede it may have changed recently with the new recycling program as I do not deal with backer paper as much anymore.
Fair enough, not trying to argue. I’ve just always been told otherwise so agree to disagree I suppose. Backer paper is a paper product and balers are supposed to be cardboard.

We still have a sign on our baler that says a small amount of regular paper can go in, but the primary component is supposed to be cardboard.

This discussion reminds me of the confusion about what goes in the soft plastics bin - I was once told that bubble wrap wasn't allowed, but since learned that it's okay. But that kind of confusion at least makes some sense. What doesn't is finding styrofoam in the plastics bin and yet it happens pretty regularly.

We still have a sign on our baler that says a small amount of regular paper can go in, but the primary component is supposed to be cardboard.

This discussion reminds me of the confusion about what goes in the soft plastics bin - I was once told that bubble wrap wasn't allowed, but since learned that it's okay. But that kind of confusion at least makes some sense. What doesn't is finding styrofoam in the plastics bin and yet it happens pretty regularly.

Our DC emailed our district several times complaining about all the incorrect plastic being sent to them that they had to basically throw out pallets and pallets of mixed plastics that were contaminated with the incorrect plastic. Plastic recycling is so complicated that I question whether it's even worth it to try to get stores to comply. I mean, even the mixed recycle bin in the leader office has all kinds of trash thrown in it when it should be pretty damn clear what can and can't go in it. Otherwise intelligent people are completely confused about plastic recycling because there are so many different products and only a small subsection of them are what we actually recycle.

Thinking about it just makes me so darn cynical about the future of our environment. It's all fudged to heck.

Plastic recycling is so complicated that I question whether it's even worth it to try to get stores to comply.
Yes, but plastic wrap and bags shouldn't be that hard to keep separated out from the rest of it. And to keep unacceptable stuff out of that bin. With all the stuff that comes wrapped in plastic, it'd be a shame to send all of that to the landfill.

Oh my god, I hate Mini. Why do they insist on front loading us so heavy? Freight flow really needs to be moderated. We're just not setup to manage 2000 cases of xmas candy within a 2 day period.

Halloween flowed so well this year. It was enough to fill in the front and then a consistent flow. But when it comes to X-mas let's send 5000 cases of gingerbread houses.

Halloween flowed so well this year. It was enough to fill in the front and then a consistent flow. But when it comes to X-mas let's send 5000 cases of gingerbread houses.

Don't forget about the Elf on the Shelf! Pallet+ of that crap well over a month ago and guess what we'll end up salvaging the most of at the end of the season because no one buys it?

I mean, conceivably, a low volume store that has several days to work thru inventory may be better positioned than a store that has to immediately turn around and unload back-to-back trailers.

We were in the unenviable position of having to do our annual inventory in the midst of our biggest pushes of xmas. On the day of inventory, I tried to convince WIS that it would be more optimal for me to back-stock the mini first and then let them count than to leave it on pallets and count it. But they insisted that there could be no delays. Subsequently, I strongly question the results of their counting. No way it's accurate. I really don't even see the value of annual inventories unless they can be performed to a standard that would likely be cost-prohibitive to actually execute.

The only way it makes sense to me is if the purpose is to approximate a dollar value of total store assets to within a plus/minus 10% for the purposes of financial reporting to Wall Street.

Anyway, I digress.

Back