Archived SNAP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I've been stalking you guys for awhile now and decided to be a member lol.

Anyway, I am a GSA and I just want to know how I'm going to adress my guest about using SNAP. So we ahve an issue recently since the system change it, like when a guest buy 3 formula they get 10 gift card. So before it used to give them the free gift card right? Now the system won't take all the amount from the SNAP. It gives the guest a balance of $10, Which is the gift card! So the guest gets upset about it cause they're not suppose to pay any balance!

So I guess Target is trying to be smart? It's just too frustrating. I'm happy to read all the inputs I can get.

I'd have to see this actually happen, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

When you hit total, you're prompted to scan the gift card. At this point, the POS doesn't know what form of payment the guest is using. Are you saying that somehow the system is negating the coupon that's applied to match the value of the gift card?

In most states the SNAP recipient can’t receive that discount legally. It is a discount to SNAP not the guest. So it is done by putting the money back on the snap card.

I had this come up on the weekend. The POS voided the g/c after the guest ran their benefit card. I explained to the guest that purchases funded by the government are not eligible for the g/c same as someone using Medicare or Medicaid would not be eligible for a g/c on a prescription at the pharmacy. Spot should have fixed this years ago!

In most states the SNAP recipient can’t receive that discount legally. It is a discount to SNAP not the guest. So it is done by putting the money back on the snap card.
Ahhhhh okay, this does make a certain amount of sense. But I don't get why the guest in the OP would have to pay $10 if the POS voids the card.

So you're not allowed to be thrifty if you're using government assistance?

So you're not allowed to be thrifty if you're using government assistance?
No. I have a disabled child who is a Medicaid waiver recipient. In order to use Medicaid, we cannot use coupons nor use an employee discount for medications. I have to go through their approved supplier for durable equipment that I could get through Target or Amazon for much less, but it would not be covered at all.

Now it makes sense to me! I can explain to the guest that they are not suppose to get free gift card with snap otherwise they have to split the transactions if they want to avoid paying the balance which equate the gift card amount!!

Hello everyone I've been stalking you guys for awhile now and decided to be a member lol.

Anyway, I am a GSA and I just want to know how I'm going to adress my guest about using SNAP. So we ahve an issue recently since the system change it, like when a guest buy 3 formula they get 10 gift card. So before it used to give them the free gift card right? Now the system won't take all the amount from the SNAP. It gives the guest a balance of $10, Which is the gift card! So the guest gets upset about it cause they're not suppose to pay any balance!

So I guess Target is trying to be smart? It's just too frustrating. I'm happy to read all the inputs I can get.

I found an website. A goverment case worker said your not allowed to get cash or gift cards with snap. This is to prevent people from buying tobacco or alcohol with the overage aka basically on our tax dollars. Also, keep in mind if they do use coupons they are required to pay taxes on the coupons or non food items.

Now it makes sense to me! I can explain to the guest that they are not suppose to get free gift card with snap otherwise they have to split the transactions if they want to avoid paying the balance which equate the gift card amount!!
The guest should already be aware of this issue.

They're getting the $10 GC's with WIC as well. I never feel right handing it over, but there's not much I can do. If the register prompts for it, I'm going to follow it and if it was a legality thing, I'm sure corporate would've fixed it by now.

Had this happen with WIC the other day. Seven WIC checks and eaxh time I was prompted to hand over a $10 gc. It felt a little effed up because they are essentially getting free money so to speak.

Why does the government allow food stamps to be used at a store like Target? Target has a reputation of being higher end and more expensive. food stamps should be restricted to grocery stores and discount stores.

Why does the government allow food stamps to be used at a store like Target? Target has a reputation of being higher end and more expensive. food stamps should be restricted to grocery stores and discount stores.

Some of Spot's TMs are on SNAP.
They might as well be able to use it where they don't have to pay for gas or bus fare to shop.
I don't know if they worked out the 'TMs can't use SNAP if they want to get their discount evilness' but I hope so.

They might as well be able to use it where they don't have to pay for gas or bus fare to shop.
I don't know if they worked out the 'TMs can't use SNAP if they want to get their discount evilness' but I hope so.
I have a co-worker on SNAP, and she has returned a few of the non-food items she's bought on those transactions, so I've had a chance to look at her receipts. The TM discount did not apply to the SNAP eligible items.

Commie, why is that bullshit? It makes complete sense to me, especially with the discussion about the gift cards. The TM/guest is not paying for those items, the SNAP program is. And it's a violation of our terms of employment to allow (non-dependent/spouse) others to use our discount. Therefore, it's logical that the TM discount should not apply to the SNAP-eligible items.

The discount did reflect the total of the non-food items that were bought on the same transaction and paid for with her own money.

I don't have a problem with it one way or another. I just hope the SNAP recipients received the information about the change ahead of time and I am not going to be the first one to have to explain the change. I actually find that more WIC recipients buy baby formula than SNAP. In my state WIC is much harder to qualify for and much more restrictive in terms of what you can buy with it. With the checks it seemed like most were restricted to 2 forumlas per check so it rarely prompted a gift card because each check had to be processed separately. I guess the eWIC allows them to buy more on a single transaction.

Not necessarily. My Spot has lower prices on many food items when compared to the 2 grocery stores across the street. So by shopping at Spot, the SNAP user can stretch the funds.

Yes, that was corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back