Archived SNAP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commie, why is that bullshit? It makes complete sense to me, especially with the discussion about the gift cards. The TM/guest is not paying for those items, the SNAP program is. And it's a violation of our terms of employment to allow (non-dependent/spouse) others to use our discount. Therefore, it's logical that the TM discount should not apply to the SNAP-eligible items.

The discount did reflect the total of the non-food items that were bought on the same transaction and paid for with her own money.

A couple of reasons.
One, they did it at one time then changed the policy to something that is really based on cold hearted greed.
I hope it's true what other people have said about them fixing this in their states
Second, if a company can't pay enough that an employee has to be on SNAP then the least they can do is give the discount.
For that matter the least they can do is give us as tax payers that discount through the employee because they are able to pay them crap wages on our dime.

In most states the SNAP recipient can’t receive that discount legally. It is a discount to SNAP not the guest. So it is done by putting the money back on the snap card.
Snap recipients can and should get the gift card (there are federal laws about this). I work closely with snap in my day job

No. I have a disabled child who is a Medicaid waiver recipient. In order to use Medicaid, we cannot use coupons nor use an employee discount for medications. I have to go through their approved supplier for durable equipment that I could get through Target or Amazon for much less, but it would not be covered at all.
Medicaid and snap work differently. Snap recipients are encouraged to use coupons and per the law can and should get gift cards as would any other guest

But they do pay enough. The company minimum is enough for any one person to not be on SNAP. In most areas, I think it's even too much to qualify for even a small amount of benefits a month.
Seriously?
Unless hiring for a TL or specialized position with guaranteed hours, Target emphasizes that they do NOT hire full-time employees.
Even as corp raises wages, hours are still cut for many but the most high-demand areas forcing many TMs to work a second job.
Despite that, many are still below the poverty line & use SNAP.
During my years in the checklanes I was surprised at the number of TMs on assistance.
Many also bike or take the bus & I've given plenty of rides home after close.

Why would it be wrong for someone to pay less for an item, whether it's at a different store or because of a TM (or military, or senior citizen, or whatever) discount? It either reduces the amount the taxpayers pay or stretches what the person can get with their benefits. To deny that is totally nonsensical.

Seriously?
Unless hiring for a TL or specialized position with guaranteed hours, Target emphasizes that they do NOT hire full-time employees.
Even as corp raises wages, hours are still cut for many but the most high-demand areas forcing many TMs to work a second job.
Despite that, many are still below the poverty line & use SNAP.
During my years in the checklanes I was surprised at the number of TMs on assistance.
Many also bike or take the bus & I've given plenty of rides home after close.
I worked with several people who were barely getting by, myself included. The break room bologna sandwiches were sometimes what we had for the day. We had an etl log who knew that and kept food out for us. We returned the favor amongst ourselves when we could and worked hard. That was years ago when 32 hours a week was common for the average tm. When my hens started eggs anyone who needed them got them and paid if they could but no problem if they couldn’t. Team culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back