Archived Speculation: Something's changing at the Service Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got IGS as part of our P-Fresh remodel. So far I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the 3-tier carts better for reshop but it's rather annoying that sometimes even when the checkouts have no wait they come to guest service for checkout when the GS team member or myself have an entire counter of defectives and everything else that need sorted out.

Whoa that looks just like my store minus the igs thing. Same windows, same old guest service, and SeeSpotSave backwall and bathrooms right to the right of GS. So wierd to see

Ditto for my store. The iGS is set up differently but that's all.

More shots from flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7225183394_5336ce7420_z.jpg
7225183394_5336ce7420_z.jpg

7225172540_ca922cab4b_z.jpg

7225175890_2ab7fd1504_z.jpg

Ugh of all the things they choose to put up there, they put Fan Central? That is prime real estate along with the cartwell promo spot, lets put the fast-turning, absolute essentials up there! Cooler for eggs and milk, bread, toilet tissue, the things that people run in and out in 5 minutes for! That plus the combination of self-checkout appeals to those on-the-go guests!

EDIT: I guess in retrospect, Target is all about drawing guests into the full assortment of goods, hence grocery being far away from the entrance (in GM stores at least). Also the reason endcaps/softlines Spoints exist: Put select items that are part of a promotion on high-visibility points of the store to draw guests into the inline for the full assortment. Bigger basket size. Can I get you a cart today?

one of the stores in my area has this and from the guests i have talked to they love it. Our store couldn't do this but at this ULV store apparently it works great. One of our old AP guys transfered there and he said it took some getting use to but it's been a positive change for their store.

Whoa, that looks just like my store except we have different teams in Fan Central, obviously. We've had our IGS for just a little while, but I like it. Its so much easier to keep an eye on everything without having to run back and forth. The only problem I have is trying to get the GS tms to understand that yes, you ARE a cashier, too. They still like to wander off.

I think mini seasonal type items should be in that spot. Since pfresh, sales are down in this area because its tucked in the back corner of the store.

It seems weird that the guests have to come completely into the store to do a return. Any problems with that? Seems like it makes it easier for shoplifters to, say, bring a purse from accessories over to guest service for a no receipt return.

I say keep it the way it was and focus on the cust- erm guest.

Hate that freaken word

Drives me crazy too.
A guest is someone I'm going to offer a Guinness and play WII with but who I will throw out of the house if they make racist comments or set fire to my furniture.

Hey ya,,

I stumbled upon a document on workbench today that said it is on a store by store basis as to what will fill the void the old guest service left. It said there may be a "beach shop" that consists of all things beachy, a "pro shop" that is just an extension of fan central, a "kiosk hub" that would bring all the gift registry kiosks, photo kiosks, and ATM all into one area, or a full service Starbucks if your store lacks one.

Its absolutely fantastic to me as a GSTL.

I can use my GS person as backup when they're not busy without sending guest halfway across the front. I get to monitor my GS person which will increase productivity and help stop the texters/loafers. I'm closer by so when there are problems I'm there to quickly resolve them and keep the guests moving. I can give my GS person a break without leaving the lanes and I can back them up when they get busy and not abandon the front. Its a win win.

I'm curious as to what you dislike about it.

What is it?

Basically, ours is 3 lanes that are used for anything Guest Service related.. while expecting to cash out guests like the usual. These 3 lanes face our regular checkout lanes.

EXIT DOORS - VACATED GUEST SERVICE

CCC ln3 Ln4 Ln6 Ln8 Ln10
AAA
RRR ln2 Ln5 Ln7 Ln9 Ln11
TTT
SSS ln1

R A C E T R A C K = = = = = = =

Lanes 1-3 are IGS. VGS (Vacated Guest Service) gets designated based on the store. For example, Sbux/Pro shop/Photo lab. Basically, you're expected to do all your Guest Service routine whilst checking out guests, at IGS.

While GSAs speedweave, you also get 3 rays of traffic.

1. The regular manner. Coming from Racetrack to Lane 1. Easy. Usually just simple checkouts.

2. Coming directly from the doors when entering the building. Usually returns.

3. GSA/GSTL speedweave from lanes to IGS. Enter in between 2 lines. CONFUSION.

It's one big mess. I believe its still under test or w/e... Sry if its confusing its kinda hard to explain

Its absolutely fantastic to me as a GSTL.

I can use my GS person as backup when they're not busy without sending guest halfway across the front. I get to monitor my GS person which will increase productivity and help stop the texters/loafers. I'm closer by so when there are problems I'm there to quickly resolve them and keep the guests moving. I can give my GS person a break without leaving the lanes and I can back them up when they get busy and not abandon the front. Its a win win.

I'm curious as to what you dislike about it.

You make a good point. I do share your likes about it. My ETLs are very particular about constant guest flow to IGS though. Even when I tell my ETLs that GS TM's aren't keeping up on routine, they spit out "Well, best practice is to always assist guests". I find myself auditing defectives at night more often than not, due to them being way behind.

You make a good point. I do share your likes about it. My ETLs are very particular about constant guest flow to IGS though. Even when I tell my ETLs that GS TM's aren't keeping up on routine, they spit out "Well, best practice is to always assist guests". I find myself auditing defectives at night more often than not, due to them being way behind.

See that's the balance you have to find. Your GSTL/GSA needs to be involved to make it work. Doing good speed weaving and directing traffic efficiently while talking up RCs to the guests. I'm not afraid to tell a guests my GS TM can't ring them up when they're busy doing their work. I then direct them to the lane with the shortest wait or ring them up myself if its a small transaction.

My main question is where does all the reshop go? And the tubs of truck chargebacks that get sent to me to process? And all the random stuff that gets dropped off from the sales floor all day long?

When we remodeled we received 12 3-tier carts. Backroom stole 5 so we're down to 7. Some stores have a wall to block reshop.. however we don't have enough space to accomodate. So we look like Wal-Mart behind GS. The tub chills behind GS, fills up with defectives that we process before close each night. And as far as Sales floor zoning carts they just drop it off into their respective carts.

My pathetic drawing wasn't really to scale lol, we have a wall between our Cart Coral, and about 8 feet between that and our registers 1,2, and 3.

See that's the balance you have to find. Your GSTL/GSA needs to be involved to make it work. Doing good speed weaving and directing traffic efficiently while talking up RCs to the guests. I'm not afraid to tell a guests my GS TM can't ring them up when they're busy doing their work. I then direct them to the lane with the shortest wait or ring them up myself if its a small transaction.

This balance you speak of.. I wish I could find it. My ETLs (and STL) are like Gods. Their offices have glass windows on our 2nd story that overlook the check lanes. If they see something they don't like they'll start going on the walkies. SEND GUEST TO LANE 2 NOW, NOW NOW NOW.

We had a large item hold area (for patio, furn, bikes, flats of large purchases, etc). This was made into the IGS. Only problem was the space is half what we had at Service desk & SF doesn't pick up their reshop any faster so it piles up. There's also insufficient room for supplies so they're stashed at the OLD service desk under the counter (at least until they figure out what they're gonna turn it into) & we end up parking large items in a nearby empty checklane.
The former area is sitting empty next to photo & the registry kiosks are still over there like lonely orphans.
During rush, people get in line there to check out only to find out it's the slowest moving line because of returns & the accompanying issues. We went from 3 registers at the old serv desk to 2 at the IGS so it backs up quickly (I don't even wanna picture post- Christmas returns).
I'm just glad I left the front as this was going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back