Archived Speculation: Something's changing at the Service Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to resurrect this thread, however, we were just informed at my store today that this "Getting rid of the Service Desk" is not only an idea, but it is happening. During our P-Fresh remodel in April we will go down to 10 lanes and lose our Service Desk. We were told we are the second store in the company to do this.

Has anybody actually seen it or have some pictures? We are a ULV, but on the higher end. Even a slow day still finds a pretty busy service desk. Im not turned off to the idea yet because I havent seen it, but im pretty apprehensive.

Go to workbench/workload planning and look at the store specific guides and you'll see that several stores are already going through this. None were listed on my sheet but I clicked a random one to find if anyone was going through it and found several that were. The specific one I clicked was district 354, keep in mind this is NOT my district, and saw a few stores that were doing it. If you go to the second page it gives a description of what's going to happen. Also I got it straight from my STL When she got back from Minn last year that it is only happening in LV and ULV stores. :)

I actually got to see a "Blueprint" of our remodel today, and it put myself quite a bit to ease. It is not so much "Losing" the service desk as having it "Move" over to where the Express lanes are. There is still an area behind and a place for Reshop carts. It actually seems like a pretty good idea, given we often use the service desk as a backup when they aren't busy, it just becomes less confusing to a Guest. While I don't agree with the motivation behind it (Cutting more cashiers.) If that is the direction the company is going in, this certainly makes the best of it.

Don't know if your anywhere close to Duluth, MN... They have the new set up there, saw it when I was visiting family not too long ago.

It looked like a complete nightmare, there were several three tiers behind the two "guest service" lanes and they looked like they filled up with stray rather quickly. I don't think that that store is very low volume either, it was pretty busy the couple times that I have been in there.

It also created this strange void across from photo where the original service desk must have been... I only guess that since there was a long empty counter with the return policy board hanging behind!

That must have been an earlier attempt, by looking at the plans there is three "Service Desk" lanes with room for 7 full sized carts lined up behind them, much like it is now. This is what I mean by "moving" the service desk. According to the plans also, where our Service desk was will turn into a "Savor Spot." Like I said, we are "apparently" one of the first in the company, so as far as I know, exactly what we will be getting exists nowhere in the company yet.

can someone going through the remodel let us know if GS is still retaining its hours when converted to iGS or are the hours absorbed into the cashier workcenter?

Saw this laying around in the TSC today, not the greatest picture, but it gets the idea across. I am going to ask tomorrow for where they got it, maybe there is some more. If this really is it, I am a bit concerned. I have no idea where reshop goes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I guess that isn't as bad, as long as people currently service desk qualified are running the "Guest Service" lanes.

I don't feel like this would work too well at high vol stores though.

It's horrible in a high volume store! My store has this and were a AA volume, the returns just pile up and it looks messy. Guests hate it, especially if they're just doing a simple card payment and they have to wait for people to check out. Guest service still kept their hours at my store, but that may be because they still need GS attended at all times.

My store had a visit from the masterminds of iGS recently and while we're unfortunately keeping iGS, it's going to get redesigned to be more 'efficient'. Not sure of any specifics yet tho...

My store had a visit from the masterminds of iGS recently and while we're unfortunately keeping iGS, it's going to get redesigned to be more 'efficient'. Not sure of any specifics yet tho...
We might be getting this....to make way for a Starbucks. Corporate is trying to make our Mall Developer pay for it, because they want to move our mall door......

We might be getting this....to make way for a Starbucks. Corporate is trying to make our Mall Developer pay for it, because they want to move our mall door......

Uggh my store has a mall door too, in-between SeeSpotSave and Ready to Wear, i hate it, wish it would just be gone all together. I think half the trash that comes through that door would be too lazy to walk around to the front door and maybe it would stop our carts from going through the mall and being left clear on the other side...a mile away!

My concern isn't really with this new GS system... I mean really, it could work or it might not... I wasn't there testing it to see exactly how it was setup! My concern is that Target is focusing on things that don't seem to need to be fixed!!! Was the front end and guest service desk setup really that inefficient that it needed looked at? I don't think so... I wish Target would spend more time looking at the areas of the store that are struggling and spend more time developing those processes! I mean, our replenishment system is ok, but the way we replenish ad product is terrible! There are sections of the store that are near empty (uhh some bedding sits empty for a good month after it goes on sale)... And I have YET to have anyone explain to me why the 12s in the CAFs are so big!!! Or why really backstock comes back out after you backstock it... I mean I know the concept, but there is no reason for it to be doing that (why doesn't it pop up challenge in STO, but instead lets you backstock it and then pulls it 5 minutes later in the CAFs?) The accumulator is pretty flawed and causes a HUGE waste of payroll in all stores by functioning the way it does... but nevermind, lets just focus on moving the service desk 30 feet in all our ULV stores for no reason?

I know this is an old post, but I read this thread when it first started and I didn't realize the direction it had moved to since then. I don't have the understanding of the instocks process like you do, but I don't think it is any easy system to work with or fix for that matter. I do, however, disagree that this is fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed. This NEEDED to be done at ULV stores. With most of the current models, the service desk sits behind see spot with no view of the lanes whatsoever. Most days, there are no cart attendants, and 1-2 cashiers. The GSTL spends most of their day at the service desk b/c a store can't operate with 1 cashier, so they send SD to the lanes. Now, the GSTL/GSA is covering the SD and the lanes, but they can't see them both. How is this good for our guests? Its not! This is a perfect fix. I can't wait for this to come to my store. Sure, there will be ups and downs, but I think its great.

I didn't say it was a bad fix... I think it is a good idea actually! Sure it may be "needed" but I am questioning the importance of it OVER some of the larger issues in our stores! How much will this iGS project cost to remodel that many stores? How much payroll will it actually be able to save? Does this really affect that many stores and are these ULV stores really the priority? I am just asking for a prioritization in things that may save the company large amounts of money! The accumulator is used in EVERY store and causes these inefficiencies in EVERY store... Over the course of a year I am sure thousands upon thousands of payroll hours are wasted using Subt9999 (an overly bulky function), pulling the noons and working out product that doesn't need to go out, or even some stores just simply faking out those batches! It just seems to be an issue that is ignored to me and I am excited to see a day that it can be fixed because of all the problems it causes!

I didn't say it was a bad fix... I think it is a good idea actually! Sure it may be "needed" but I am questioning the importance of it OVER some of the larger issues in our stores! How much will this iGS project cost to remodel that many stores? How much payroll will it actually be able to save? Does this really affect that many stores and are these ULV stores really the priority? I am just asking for a prioritization in things that may save the company large amounts of money! The accumulator is used in EVERY store and causes these inefficiencies in EVERY store... Over the course of a year I am sure thousands upon thousands of payroll hours are wasted using Subt9999 (an overly bulky function), pulling the noons and working out product that doesn't need to go out, or even some stores just simply faking out those batches! It just seems to be an issue that is ignored to me and I am excited to see a day that it can be fixed because of all the problems it causes!

Again, my understanding of instocks is no where near yours, so I will yield if you if you say I'm incorrect, but it seems like errors with the accumulator are caused by a mix of computer error and human error and that doesn't sound like a problem easily fixed on a corporate level.
This fix with guest service will save payroll considerably at many stores across the country because you can quite literally eliminate a cashier for all but the most busy times of the day.

so what happens to the guest service desk area. it's kind of back in it's own corner. not like they can stick another lane in there?

so what happens to the guest service desk area. it's kind of back in it's own corner. not like they can stick another lane in there?

Good question. I would say a wall could be easily constructed and it would be extra storage space. I know I wouldn't mind having a mini signing or fixture room up at the front. It could be that and or the bullseye mobile thing mentioned in another thread, or some combination of both.

Like I said in the thread about Target Mobile moving up front...

If nothing else moves to where Guest Service used to be, couldn't One Spot move over there? Then there would be more space to sort reshop/defectives/whatnot behind iGS.

Like I said in the thread about Target Mobile moving up front...

If nothing else moves to where Guest Service used to be, couldn't One Spot move over there? Then there would be more space to sort reshop/defectives/whatnot behind iGS.

Well that makes a whole lot of sense. I think you're on to something

Again, my understanding of instocks is no where near yours, so I will yield if you if you say I'm incorrect, but it seems like errors with the accumulator are caused by a mix of computer error and human error and that doesn't sound like a problem easily fixed on a corporate level.
This fix with guest service will save payroll considerably at many stores across the country because you can quite literally eliminate a cashier for all but the most busy times of the day.

I'm not saying you are incorrect at all... Its a great fix rolled out by corporate as far as I can tell! My frustration comes from the fact that the accumulator has had inherent issues with it since I have been working for Target and I would like it to be their next project! It won't be easy but if Target is going to continue to grow it needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later! Its not an impossible task... difficult sure... but something that needs to be done and streamlined in our current stores so the hundreds that Target is planning on opening won't be affected!

Good question. I would say a wall could be easily constructed and it would be extra storage space. I know I wouldn't mind having a mini signing or fixture room up at the front. It could be that and or the bullseye mobile thing mentioned in another thread, or some combination of both.

Ehh no on extra storage... That is what old school Targets used to have and they were taken advantage of! I would like to see some sort of combination of Apple Store/Target Mobile/Local College Stuff/Photo (if you have high enough volume to keep it)... in that area!

Greatland-type stores had a front-end storage closet. It was the stockroom for photo/cafe/bags/receipt paper, etc.

My concern is what this type of return center looks like to our guests. It screams that Target is trying to save payroll and that servicing the guest is not our main concern any more. It also moves it closer to where all of our guests will seeing and hearing any and all complaints from people trying to make returns.

Only stores I personally know that have their guest service desk in line with the registers is KMart, Marshalls, Ross, and Big Lots. Is that where Target is heading?

6932158166_890ef72539.jpg

7078233025_5e0228f9ff_z.jpg

Not my photos, but found them on flickr.

Whoa that looks just like my store minus the igs thing. Same windows, same old guest service, and SeeSpotSave backwall and bathrooms right to the right of GS. So wierd to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back