Archived Speedweaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
weaving-o.gif

Speed Weed is the coproducer for Law and Order SVU. I'm assuming speedweeding would be some term used to describe the investigation of vicious felonies.

Directing guests to open lanes or sco.

It's helpful when you have the lanes double stacked instead of across, one deep. Guests don't realize that each lane has a separate line. You don't wait in one line that feeds two registers.

My store has odd numbered lanes by the racetrack and even numbered lanes in front of them. So, when I would cashier, I spent a lot of time calling out, "No wait on 8." It's like Hunger Games. Get your cart up quickly and get out of there. I can usually ring three guests in the time it takes one of our slow cashiers to do one guest.

ETA: Occassionally, I would mix it up and call, "Next guest on 8." Depending on who was walking by, I sometimes called out, "Next victim on 8." (Got to amuse yourself somehow.)

Last edited:
I am at a former greatland. We don't have any zig-zag lanes.

So am I, but I do find that people won't walk past the first few checkouts, you have to prod them to keep walking down the line of registers. Cause the first few lanes will stack up and there won't be much of a line toward the other side. We have one line of registers so people stack up near the busier set of doors cause they don't want to walk back across the store. But the amount you walk is half of what you will wait for not moving along and finding the cashier with no one to check out.

I don't know why, but now I want to see a slow motion music video of a GSA running the lanes on the worst day imaginable, all set to that Dream Weaver song. Those poor damned souls, they need to be paid more.

Or how about a tv show, Game of Lanes? Peak hours are coming.

Sorry, I've had some beverages this evening, don't mind me.

I hate when everyone clusters near grocery and the GM side is always empty, like people need to walk a few extra steps and you'll be out sooner rather than complaining why I don't have more lanes open.

Speedweaving is not just yelling out which lanes have less wait, but instead physically guiding guests to lanes with shorter waits, helping the bags from large orders get into a cart faster, and watching for BOB/LISA.

It's a pet peeve of mine when we have like 1+3 on two lanes and only 1 guest on the other two, then the GSA/GSTL just yells out "NO WAITING ON (lane number)!!!". Then you have multiple guests just running after the same thing. Pay attention, find the guest that has been waiting, and walk them over to the faster lane.

To me, speedweaving, also includes helping the cashier by removing hangers from clothing and/or folding clothing with the tag in sight so the cashier can scan items faster.

Should also include placing items onto the checkout conveyor belt or into the cart for the guest, if needed.

Should also include closing down lanes so the back up cashiers can get back to the floor (and directing guests to the actual cashiers that have no line.)

Should also include cashiering that one guest with 2-3 items who is in line behind the guest with a cart full of items.

Honestly, our GSAs and GSTLs don't really do any of this.

__

Should also have the GSA and GSTL engaging with the guests, or giving out stickers to kids, etc.

Ours sometimes will do this.

Last edited:
Target day on prices is right coming soon wear your red in khakis.
Next week is Walmart day on price is right

And soon a family feud version with target vs Walmart.

Oh the shit I think up or dream about

Should also include cashiering that one guest with 2-3 items who is in line behind the guest with a cart full of items.

Now in most groups GSAs are banned from cashiering. Other than to attend to blinkes they are supposed to be at the race track greeting guest and directing them to the shortest lines.

I agree the best ones help with hangers and hand baskets but that has been discouraged in the new directives

Now in most groups GSAs are banned from cashiering. Other than to attend to blinkes they are supposed to be at the race track greeting guest and directing them to the shortest lines.

I agree the best ones help with hangers and hand baskets but that has been discouraged in the new directives

This irritates me to no end. I have a GSA who just stands on the racetrack, chit-chatting, while I'm the only one at GS and the line is getting longer. I feel the GSAs don't do anything anymore to actually help. I'm drowning and she's directing non-existent traffic. If she calls for backup and there is no backup to be had, then she needs to at least come up to GS and bring some of those 1-10 item guests with her.

This irritates me to no end. I have a GSA who just stands on the racetrack, chit-chatting, while I'm the only one at GS and the line is getting longer. I feel the GSAs don't do anything anymore to actually help. I'm drowning and she's directing non-existent traffic. If she calls for backup and there is no backup to be had, then she needs to at least come up to GS and bring some of those 1-10 item guests with her.

All due respect here, but do you think us GSTLs who LIKE to work and be active enjoy the fact we have to be highly paid Wal Mart greeters? I help, backup guest service, cover SCO, and jump on regardless of what the directives say, but there are plenty of stores that follow that to the letter.

All due respect here, but do you think us GSTLs who LIKE to work and be active enjoy the fact we have to be highly paid Wal Mart greeters? I help, backup guest service, cover SCO, and jump on regardless of what the directives say, but there are plenty of stores that follow that to the letter.

Oh I know. My GSTL and 3/4 of our GSAs are just like you. They hate the new orders. I'm talking about the one who is following it to the letter.

A good GSTL move guests around so there is no need for a backup. They will keep track of their cashiers. I know its like herding cats sometimes but you can do it. They will call off back ups right away. They will not use a sing song voice. They will train the cashiers to use empowerment. They will not send 4 cashiers to break at the same time. They will be aware of how many cashiers they have at noon on a Saturday and plan breaks and lunches accordingly. They will keep the cashiers busy when we are slow. You had the sales floor on the lanes all damn day and there are carts of backstock, how about returning the favor and send some people out to put it away. They can read magazines another day. Being in front of the lanes does not mean you are cemented in one place! Play the crowd, talk to them like you are like a hostess at a restaurant let the people know you appreciate their business. And if we get a visit and you call for a backup every 3 seconds it does not mean you are great at your job. It shows the DTLs that you have no clue how to manage the front end.

To me, speedweaving, also includes helping the cashier by removing hangers from clothing and/or folding clothing with the tag in sight so the cashier can scan items faster.

Should also include placing items onto the checkout conveyor belt or into the cart for the guest, if needed.

Should also include closing down lanes so the back up cashiers can get back to the floor (and directing guests to the actual cashiers that have no line.)

Honestly, our GSAs and GSTLs don't really do any of this.

__

Should also have the GSA and GSTL engaging with the guests, or giving out stickers to kids, etc.

Ours sometimes will do this.

We had a GSA that I miss when it gets busy. He was very good with getting salesfloor back to salesfloor ASAP. I can honestly say that he rarely kept any of us more than 15 or 20 minutes before shutting us down. Needless to say he never got "crickets" when he called for "guest first" because people appreciated that he respected their time and quick response. Wish the GSAs/GSTLs who complained about the poor response from the salesfloor understood this. Make us feel like you GET that we have other tasks to complete before shift's end and we'll make sure you feel like we know how important it is for us to come up and help when you need it. :p

We had a GSA that I miss when it gets busy. He was very good with getting salesfloor back to salesfloor ASAP. I can honestly say that he rarely kept any of us more than 15 or 20 minutes before shutting us down. Needless to say he never got "crickets" when he called for "guest first" because people appreciated that he respected their time and quick response. Wish the GSAs/GSTLs who complained about the poor response from the salesfloor understood this. Make us feel like you GET that we have other tasks to complete before shift's end and we'll make sure you feel like we know how important it is for us to come up and help when you need it. :p

Spot on here. Miss our old GSA who was super good at this. When a cashier came back from break she didn't shoot the breeze with them she would get sales floor off the lanes.

The GSA's are usually pretty good about getting the back-ups back to the sales floor ASAP. Sometimes, I will finish my entire line up, turn off my light and go bump the back-up person off the lane so that they can leave.

A good GSTL move guests around so there is no need for a backup. They will keep track of their cashiers. I know its like herding cats sometimes but you can do it. They will call off back ups right away. They will not use a sing song voice. They will train the cashiers to use empowerment. They will not send 4 cashiers to break at the same time. They will be aware of how many cashiers they have at noon on a Saturday and plan breaks and lunches accordingly. They will keep the cashiers busy when we are slow. You had the sales floor on the lanes all damn day and there are carts of backstock, how about returning the favor and send some people out to put it away. They can read magazines another day. Being in front of the lanes does not mean you are cemented in one place! Play the crowd, talk to them like you are like a hostess at a restaurant let the people know you appreciate their business. And if we get a visit and you call for a backup every 3 seconds it does not mean you are great at your job. It shows the DTLs that you have no clue how to manage the front end.

I love this person!!! Kilt3.jpg

Well, not me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back