Logistics Spot considering scanning trucks again

Luck

The one and only SCTM™
Just a fun little heads up for all the flow team members who miss the good old days of scanning trucks. Turns out when you receive all rather than scanning to confirm what cartons you actually receive, discrepancy in inventory occurs.

Currently corporate is running a test, having us scan every carton we load into the trailer for select test stores. Ordinarily when the sorter drops the carton to the stores truck it is added into the trucks inventory. What we are doing is an additional scan afterword right at the point of picking it up and stacking it in the trailer.

All this is to say Target is trying to determine whether or not the short term savings of not paying someone $15 to scan the trailer as it is unloaded is actually losing money long term due to inaccurate inventory counts etc.
Who could have possibly foreseen that?:rolleyes:

Just a fun little heads up for all the flow team members who miss the good old days of scanning trucks. Turns out when you receive all rather than scanning to confirm what cartons you actually receive, discrepancy in inventory occurs.

Currently corporate is running a test, having us scan every carton we load into the trailer for select test stores. Ordinarily when the sorter drops the carton to the stores truck it is added into the trucks inventory. What we are doing is an additional scan afterword right at the point of picking it up and stacking it in the trailer.

All this is to say Target is trying to determine whether or not the short term savings of not paying someone $15 to scan the trailer as it is unloaded is actually losing money long term due to inaccurate inventory counts etc.
Who could have possibly foreseen that?:rolleyes:
They need to start doing that at the flow center..... that place is a mess and our inventory is garbage. Cases never received, more than they said was sent. “Sent” is stuff that we never got.

Would this prevent me from getting 3 cases of the same product, over 3 successive trucks, when I didn't need even 1 of those additional cases? Already had a full shelf of the product, and here's another whole case. Well, ok, maybe it's on sale next week, coming up for sales planner? And then there's another case, and yet another. As I recall, all the pick labels had my store's number on them, but at least 1 of them was a mispick (different variety of the same stuff). And no, it wasn't on sale any time soon and no new end cap. It'll take forever to sell down what I have on hand.

Even with scanning, wouldn't it still be a push-all? The unload is designed around using U-boats, not pallets, so where would all the black line freight be staged? It'll probably just continue to be placed on U-boats.

That's if scanning even makes it to stores. The OH discrepancies come solely from the DC loading product on the truck they shouldn't be (we've all gotten 1800s that are clearly not 1800s). If the DC actually scans everything, there shouldn't be any need for stores to change -- unless product falls off the trailer in transit, the trailer count should always be correct. Stores just need to start Auditing more frequently to fix issues on our end.

Last edited:
Would this prevent me from getting 3 cases of the same product, over 3 successive trucks, when I didn't need even 1 of those additional cases? Already had a full shelf of the product, and here's another whole case. Well, ok, maybe it's on sale next week, coming up for sales planner? And then there's another case, and yet another. As I recall, all the pick labels had my store's number on them, but at least 1 of them was a mispick (different variety of the same stuff). And no, it wasn't on sale any time soon and no new end cap. It'll take forever to sell down what I have on hand.
Most likely not. Thus would only fix OH discrepancies

Usually that situation is simply because the DC itself is trying to offload inventory. One pallet space of a useless filler item gotten rid of is one pallet space more of T.V.s that can be brought in and then shipped for black Friday. This time of year warehouse runs at full capacity.

Even with scanning, wouldn't it still be a push-all? The unload is designed around using U-boats, not pallets, so where would all the black line freight be staged? It'll probably just continue to be placed on U-boats.

That's if scanning even makes it to stores. The OH discrepancies come solely from the DC loading product on the truck they shouldn't be (we've all gotten 1800s that are clearly not 1800s). If the DC actually scans everything, there shouldn't be any need for stores to change -- unless product falls off the trailer in transit, the trailer count should always be correct. Stores just need to start Auditing more frequently to fix issues on our end.
I imagine if stores did start scanning again it wouldn't affect Optomization at all. But the idea would be that the time upfront scanning would lessen the time needed auditing later.

The largest detriment that is causing them to reconsider would be guest satisfaction from T.com telling them an item is in stock but finding out it isnt, and time wasted by OPU/SFS searching for an item that was never there to begin with. It was kinda of an ass backward move having stores act as mini fulfillment centers and then reduce their ability to track what items are received.

Can't all those cases be sent back?
Not if the DC flags them as not returnable 😉 I fondly recall while I was still store side a few years back the fury on my TLs face as our store was sent a fresh pallet of lawn fertilizer, at the end of October, and when our receiver went to add it to the sweep trailer the system would not let her.
At the end of the day space DC side is more valuable than space store side.

Usually that situation is simply because the DC itself is trying to offload inventory. One pallet space of a useless filler item gotten rid of is one pallet space more of T.V.s that can be brought in and then shipped for black Friday. This time of year warehouse runs at full capacity.
Yes, I've seen this before but it's usually end-of-season stuff, like a bunch of same size and same color sandals in September when what we have on hand is already marked clearance. This is regular stuff in HBA that doesn't go out of season or out of style - a certain kind of toothpaste, a certain kind of deodorant, etc. - that's not special or limited edition or really anything. We have enough of some stuff for all the stores in my area.

Not if the DC flags them as not returnable 😉 I fondly recall while I was still store side a few years back the fury on my TLs face as our store was sent a fresh pallet of lawn fertilizer, at the end of October, and when our receiver went to add it to the sweep trailer the system would not let her.
At the end of the day space DC side is more valuable than space store side.
Back when I was sorting the hard lines repack boxes, we got a pile of lawn care stuff in December. I'm in the midwest, where we don't do lawn care in December. I guess I should be glad it wasn't a pallet-sized pile.

Yes, I've seen this before but it's usually end-of-season stuff, like a bunch of same size and same color sandals in September when what we have on hand is already marked clearance. This is regular stuff in HBA that doesn't go out of season or out of style - a certain kind of toothpaste, a certain kind of deodorant, etc. - that's not special or limited edition or really anything. We have enough of some stuff for all the stores in my area.
Oh that is another story. On labels pay attention to the header. I would be willing to guess they say "Conveyable Flow". Certain high volume items pass straight through the DC via ART. Very little of those items are stored in the warehouse.

Just require everything to be RFID embedded.

God, can you imagine how easy it would be... I'm gonna cry just thinking about it. You could even get an idea of shortage by having RFID scanners tracking what leaves the store and comparing it to what was purchased that day.

I know this is an old tread but I’m going to revive it . Truck unload now is being done with 2 inside the truck one scanners 12 sorters and 10 pushers as well as segregated trailers for high volume stores . Still sorted on vehicles tho
I wonder how this would go at a store of my level lol. I don't even have 12 people in gm most days and that's including the unload team.

I know this is an old tread but I’m going to revive it . Truck unload now is being done with 2 inside the truck one scanners 12 sorters and 10 pushers as well as segregated trailers for high volume stores . Still sorted on vehicles tho
12 sorters!
10 pushers!
2 throwers!
-
we have like 1/3 - 1/2 that if you count GM + Inbound at 7am.
-
Does the scanner mark Backstock? or simply "scan" barcodes to acknowledge they were on the truck/received?
-
@allnew2 -- do you have DBOs anymore? Or just all Inbound/Flow?
-
what's a segregated trailor? how is it segregated?

Last edited:
12 sorters??? So 14 ppl in all unloading truck? That's wild.

And the scanner marking backstock?

I need more info!

Back