Archived Starbucks and requisitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely long story short-- we've had a Starbucks in our store for a very short period of time and have gone through a handful of team leads. Our management team in general is very young and inexperienced... so basically fill in the blanks.

We've got a pretty big debate going on at our store about what should be done when a Starbucks product that is intended to be sold needs to be used behind the counter. For example, we've been having an issue getting in the 5lb bullets of decaf Pike, so we've been using the 1lb bag. I say we should be requisitioning it before using it-- otherwise it would show as shortage. Someone else says it should be QMOS'd. The current team lead doesn't think anything needs to be done since it's all really within Starbucks.

We really haven't been able to find anything about it on Workbench and when trying to contact other stores around us we're sent through an endless loop of "oh I don't know I'll have to have the team lead call you when she gets in" and it never happens, etc.

Good lord someone clarify, please!

AFAIK, things should be ordered through the normal order process and McLane. If you aren't getting proper replenishment, mysupport it first. If you run out, then you can requisition an item for use.

Starbux reqs only specifically mention Milk, but I'm sure the coffee can be stretched.

Oh lord... and we've literally never requisitioned milk.... do you use Market Pantry? I know we were told we couldn't use Hood or any other brand, not sure if that has to do with it. Do you happen to know where we should be looking to find this information? I haven't been able to find anything that clearly mentions what should be requisitioned. Our Starbucks has been such a mess all along. It doesn't help that even our DMs have been coming and going from the start.

Any product pulled from salesfloor supplies for use within Starbucks should be requisitioned including the bags of coffee you are using. I don't know off the top of my head the proper requisition code.

I was reading the best practice/workbook for opening a new starbucks cafe.

I'm a GSTL, but I cover SB when our SBTL is on vacation, so I'm quite confident with how things work over there. Coffee and milk aren't requisitioned. I don't know why something like this would vary from store to store and we've been doing it this way for 6 years, so I'm pretty confident we're doing it correctly.

Since I've been spending way too much time over there lately, I can say that we haven't been able to get the 5-lb decaf either. Our TL said we were told to use the 1 lb bags so they've been ordering extra of those (not that we sell much decaf). We don't req or qmos as it comes from ordered stock. *shrug*

What about QMOS'ing pastries that are tossed at the end of the night and pastries that are being sampled, everyone does that, right? Ahh such a mess over there. Red, do YOU requisition the milk? Now I'm curious if some stores do and some don't.

What about QMOS'ing pastries that are tossed at the end of the night and pastries that are being sampled, everyone does that, right? Ahh such a mess over there. Red, do YOU requisition the milk? Now I'm curious if some stores do and some don't.

I know for a fact our store doesnt.

They just get milk as they need.

Requisition it under 619000 "Operating Supplies" i believe.

Now I'm confused too. If you are using product specifically ordered for Starbucks use (not to directly sell, but to use in preparation of drinks) you wouldn't requisition or QMOS those but if you are pulling anything usually intended to sell directly to guests for Starbucks purposes because your own supplies are lacking you would need to account for those products somehow, wouldn't you? You are going to throw off store counts if you don't.

If the dairy guy is late or we run short, we pull milk/cream/half&half from the floor w/o req or qmos. I'll ask my CTL how it's accounted for but he's never had us req or qmos.

Now I'm confused too. If you are using product specifically ordered for Starbucks use (not to directly sell, but to use in preparation of drinks) you wouldn't requisition or QMOS those but if you are pulling anything usually intended to sell directly to guests for Starbucks purposes because your own supplies are lacking you would need to account for those products somehow, wouldn't you? You are going to throw off store counts if you don't.

I don't have a great explanation for it, but here's the thing. Who cares if the store counts are off? They don't affect what product comes in. The store counts for Starbucks get adjusted for inventory once a quarter. The milk is accounted for when the dairy vendor puts in the order. What's been used for SB can be tracked based off what we have compared to what's been sold/damaged. The rest is accounted for by SB. Just allow SB to operate as its own little entity and don't worry about it. If a guest whats to try a new kind of coffee, guess what your supposed to do? Open up a bag of coffee and brew it for them. Does that sound like something you should requisition under store supplies? How could it be considered store supplies? A place like that just doesn't operate like a normal retail store, so don't try to treat it as such.

If anything, with the coffee and pasties, QMOS, DON'T REQUISITION. It just doesn't make sense for the purpose its being used. Still, the thing is, its all going to be accounted for eventually. Its not a big deal either way. However, under no circumstances, do anything with the milk.

Last edited:
Right, but you can't just "steal" (for the lack of a better term) milk out of the coolers. All product needs to be accounted for, or else you risk messing with AP shortage indicators. Doesn't matter if it's $4 or $400. Policy (and I'll bet the best practice, too) says to requisition any milk taken from the sales floor for Starbucks use.

Right, but you can't just "steal" (for the lack of a better term) milk out of the coolers. All product needs to be accounted for, or else you risk messing with AP shortage indicators. Doesn't matter if it's $4 or $400. Policy (and I'll bet the best practice, too) says to requisition any milk taken from the sales floor for Starbucks use.

I'm a little confused about what you're reading, and I'll probably look when I go in tomorrow, but milk IS accounted for. Just ask the people who deliver the milk. They can tell you how many gallons and quarts Starbuck's has used. If we start requisitioning the milk, that will mess with the numbers they have, b/c the milk will be allocated to the store, not to Starbucks specifically. I can tell you, I know of at least 6 stores, in at least 3 districts that don't requisition their milk. 1 store, and 1 district from Red, since from what I gather, I'm fairly certain her and I are nowhere near each other. We're not all doing it wrong.

I think he's asking how the people who deliver milk can tell what has been taken for SB and what has walked out the door in shrinkage.

You requisition any item pulled from the floor period.

You shouldn't qmos for the purpose of using something, only for throwing it away.

You requisition any item pulled from the floor period.

You shouldn't qmos for the purpose of using something, only for throwing it away.

I get what you're saying. I do. But when is the last time you requisitioned something, only to sell it to a guest? That's basically what you're saying to do. The milk and coffee are part of something that are being sold to guests. Please stop speaking in such absolutes. We are debating what's right and wrong here. Hopefully we will come to the right conclusion, but the answer to all questions are not magically known by you, as you seem to think they are.

I get what you're saying. I do. But when is the last time you requisitioned something, only to sell it to a guest? That's basically what you're saying to do.

No, that is not being said. The product is being pulled to be used as an ingredient, not resold in its original form from Starbucks. While I'm not entirely certain how exactly Starbucks should account for these things, I am certain they should be accounted for somehow. While I haven't worked in Starbucks, I have worked in other food prep areas who sometimes have a need to pull from salesfloor for their own needs and they definitely requisition those products. I can't imagine Starbucks isn't expected to do something similar.

Milk should not be requisitioned. It is accounted for with your milk vendor. He brings a certain amount each time just for starbucks.

Milk should not be requisitioned. It is accounted for with your milk vendor. He brings a certain amount each time just for starbucks.

Makes sense since milk and half and half are a constant need in Starbucks. It's probably more like an ordered supply than a pulled-from-salesfloor type thing.

No, that is not being said. The product is being pulled to be used as an ingredient, not resold in its original form from Starbucks. While I'm not entirely certain how exactly Starbucks should account for these things, I am certain they should be accounted for somehow. While I haven't worked in Starbucks, I have worked in other food prep areas who sometimes have a need to pull from salesfloor for their own needs and they definitely requisition those products. I can't imagine Starbucks isn't expected to do something similar.

What do you mean other food prep areas? You may have more experience than I do if you are referring to a Target bakery or something, but I can't think of any single situation in a Target Cafe where they would have to get ingredients from the sales floor. Gloves, paper towels, maybe, but not ingredients.
Like I said before, if a guest asks for a cup of Casa Cielo coffee and all they have is a bag of coffee that is normally sold to a guest, they open it and brew the guest a cup. Why should this be requisitioned? Its not for store use.

Close. They base what they bring in off of how much Starbucks uses, but they don't order specifically for Starbucks. I'm also a past CTL guys. I'm not just making uninformed guesses with these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back