Archived Steve Jobs... articulates exactly what is wrong with Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see how it somewhat relates.

I assume you think it relates by how Target is more focused on things other than a good shopping experience. Currently focusing on things that did not make Target successful. Target no longer wants the shortest lines, cleanest stores, and friendliest staff, but instead spends a large amount of money on insanely paid top executives (the ones the board thinks make more of a difference, than the actual employee that the guest interacts with). Target lost sight of providing a pleasant shopping experience.
I agree and if it doesn't change, Target will end up eroding away what little of the "brand"is left.

Last edited:
I see how it somewhat relates.

I assume you think it relates by how Target is more focused on things other than a good shopping experience. Currently focusing on things that did not make Target successful. Target no longer wants the shortest lines, cleanest stores, and friendliest staff, but instead spends a large amount of money on insanely paid top executives (the ones the board thinks make more or a difference, than the actual employee that the guest interacts with). Target lost sight of providing a pleasant shopping experience.
I agree and if it doesn't change, Target will end up eroding away what little of the "brand"is left.

What Target should be focused on is providing a SEAMLESS shopping experience between Target.com and Target the store (They are trying, but not hard enough, which means some store is going to come along that will sweep that rug out, that everyone has 1 foot on, except Amazon who built the rug).

I would like to be able to see people walk in, swipe their Target Debit Card/Credit/or bank if need be at every call box (which can now browse Target.com), after they search for an alternative color, or what have you that we carry, but unfortunately not in our store, or we are out, etc.

What Target should be focused on is providing a SEAMLESS shopping experience between Target.com and Target the store (They are trying, but not hard enough, which means some store is going to come along that will sweep that rug out, that everyone has 1 foot on, except Amazon who built the rug).

I would like to be able to see people walk in, swipe their Target Debit Card/Credit/or bank if need be at every call box (which can now browse Target.com), after they search for an alternative color, or what have you that we carry, but unfortunately not in our store, or we are out, etc.

I agree with this. I was thinking about this while shopping a few weeks ago. There were 2 other people in line in front of me, and it felt like it took me forever to check out. We have so much going on, nothing is simple. It makes our lines move slower, because cashiers have to "um and ahh" over every single transaction, because every transaction has some unique, situational bullshit to be addressed. On top of that, there's the selling of Red Cards, Cartwheel, and inane friendly small talk. We have a very slow checkout process.

This is even worse at Guest Service. Specifically with our online orders and Cartwheel. We seriously have some fucking dumbass, inconvenient ways to save, and Cartwheel is a huge inconsistent mess. I spend so much time just fixing Cartwheel issues for guests. The fact that we STILL can't just scan Cartwheel on a receipt like a missed coupon is absurd. What a fucking obstacle to save such a minuscule amount of money. What's the point of looking for and adding deals? If it's there, it should just work automatically. Cartwheel should be nothing but a list of sales, that guests can shop from like a shopping list. So many times I have to fix cartwheel issues, just because the guest never added a deal to their actual list....BECAUSE WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT?!?!? IT'S THERE ALREADY!!!

It's because some idiot at corporate that just graduated business school has some compelling theory that people feel like they save more money if they have to put work into it. Which speaks to the Steve Jobs video...the wrong people have influence on the company's success, and those people don't have the consumers best interest in mind. Target doesn't have a monopoly on the market though, we just happen to have loyal shoppers because we aren't a tacky warehouse like WalMart. Marketing/image matters, and we happen to be really good at it. Take away our trendy yet inviting hipster image...and we're basically K-Mart.

I'd say at least a quarter of the time, the online packing slips for online orders don't even work for returns, causing us to have to have the guest return it with their cards. There's just a lot of inconsistency, and it's that "umming and ahhing" aspect of our guest service that I have a problem with.

Last edited:
The fact that we STILL can't just scan Cartwheel on a receipt like a missed coupon is absurd. What a fucking obstacle to save such a minuscule amount of money. What's the point of looking for and adding deals? If it's there, it should just work automatically. Cartwheel should be nothing but a list of sales, that guests can shop from like a shopping list. So many times I have to fix cartwheel issues, just because the guest never added a deal to their actual list....BECAUSE WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT?!?!? IT'S THERE ALREADY!!!

So much yes.

I can see how it may relate.

Interesting once he passed away, the new products coming out of apple are crap ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back