Archived Stinky Co-Workers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

themusicalfruit

No, I'm not open. I get paid to stand here.
So, there is a woman who just recently started working as a cashier at my store. She smells like a freaking ash tray. I have to let my register air out when she covers my break. That's how bad she stinks. I don't know if I should say something or not (I don't want to be rude) but damn.

Anyone else have any stinky co-workers that you just can't stand to be around because of their BO, bad breathe, or smoker stench?

I did support help at another store and they had a TM who was on flow and when he'd leave his body odor would still be there at least a minute later. It was horrible and no one knew how to tell him smh.

Back in the day, I politely brought said person to the side and addressed the issue. Quite honestly, it's all on your approach. I honestly don't think anyone would take offense to someone pointing that out to them privately. If it is done publicly, well then that's just mean. Hope things change for ya!!

Yea...having to share the coats for the cooler/freezer with smokers is horrific. They really need to have a set of coats for smokers and one for non-smokers, because I literally smell like smoke for the rest of the day if I'm ever dumb enough to actually wear one.

9 times out of 10 I opt to freeze.

Years ago we had a flow tm who had the worse bo. This wasn't the kind of bo that you get from working hard and sweating. This was the kind of bo you get from just not taking a bath. He would come in smelling and it got worse as the day went on. In matter of fact it was so bad that people couldn't/ wouldn't sit in the breakroom with him. They would get sick on their stomach. Guest even complained about it . The etls, tried talking to him and believe it or not he told them he knew he smelled and pretty much told them they would have to deal with it . People politely offered to buy him body wash, soap, deodorant etc. One etl even asked him if things were ok at home ( I am assuming they were trying to make sure he had running water etc ). The tm got an attitude and just kept going . Thankfully, after a couple of months he quit. I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. However, I would rather smell a smoker than BO. AND I would rather smell a smoker smelling like a smoker than a smoker who tries to cover up the smoke smell with some fruity body spray .

office-wars.jpg

I mean, there are other smokers on staff at the front end but they all seem to just mildly smell of smoke or not at all. I would probably gag if I had to checkout with her

The vapers smell more than the smokers in my store.

I haven't noticed any of that stuff.

Ya'll must be sensitive fucks.

I had a coworker who reeked in my last job. My manager pretty much told him he smelled bad and that he can't come to work like that lol. The guy then started spraying himself down with Axe everyday. The locker room smelled like a high school boys locker room. We weren't sure if it made matters better or worse.

Years ago we had a flow tm who had the worse bo. This wasn't the kind of bo that you get from working hard and sweating. This was the kind of bo you get from just not taking a bath. He would come in smelling and it got worse as the day went on. In matter of fact it was so bad that people couldn't/ wouldn't sit in the breakroom with him. They would get sick on their stomach. Guest even complained about it . The etls, tried talking to him and believe it or not he told them he knew he smelled and pretty much told them they would have to deal with it . People politely offered to buy him body wash, soap, deodorant etc. One etl even asked him if things were ok at home ( I am assuming they were trying to make sure he had running water etc ). The tm got an attitude and just kept going . Thankfully, after a couple of months he quit. I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. However, I would rather smell a smoker than BO. AND I would rather smell a smoker smelling like a smoker than a smoker who tries to cover up the smoke smell with some fruity body spray .
What the fuck? Is it possible to terminate someone because of this or would they have to find excuses for that?

Smokey jackets and coats in the winter - horrible for non smokers. My coat comes out smelling like ass ash.
There's this one guy who occasionally smells like he rubbed a packet of taco seasoning under his arms. I don't think I can talk to him about it.

What the fuck? Is it possible to terminate someone because of this or would they have to find excuses for that?

They could.... But the person could make a case that the body oder is cause by medical condition and not bad hygiene which falls under Ada protection. They might just coach him for everything and terminate for that instead of body odor

Yea...having to share the coats for the cooler/freezer with smokers is horrific. They really need to have a set of coats for smokers and one for non-smokers, because I literally smell like smoke for the rest of the day if I'm ever dumb enough to actually wear one.

9 times out of 10 I opt to freeze.

That's why I always bring my own jacket. Even when it's 95° outside, I still bring a jacket and gloves for the freezer. All of the store coats smell disgusting because they don't ever get washed.

AND I would rather smell a smoker smelling like a smoker than a smoker who tries to cover up the smoke smell with some fruity body spray .

We have a "perfumer" at my store. I've learned never to spend time in the locker area after she gets back from her smoke break.

The hell we do :)

Okay, so if I came to you and was like "Yo, so-and-so smells like an ashtray and it makes me sick to my stomach when I have to be around her" what would you do about it?

Okay, so if I came to you and was like "Yo, so-and-so smells like an ashtray and it makes me sick to my stomach when I have to be around her" what would you do about it?

Requisition some soap and put it in the break room during their lunches.

We've got a flow TM that consistently farts all day, and they are the worst smelling farts I've ever been around. Makes you want to puke. Yeah.

The hell we do :)

Well when I kept having blinding migraines from the perfume whore that stank so bad I would start dry heaving you would tell me its not your job to stop that shit so I stop getting sick when its work comp claim? Umm no.. It is your job..

From the HR perspective this kind of thing is really complicated for a whole bunch of reasons.
The smoking and perfume issues not so much, you can certainly bring up that you have members of the crew who are having reactions to the smell (totally legit request under ADA) and ask that the person launder their clothes more or cut back on the perfume.
Farting or body odor is way more difficult.
One the person can be living under circumstance that don't allow them to bathe as often as they would like which is embarrassing enough to have pointed out or they have physical conditions (there are a bunch of them) that cause severe odor, that they can't help.
Being HR in those situations sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back