Archived Target’s POS system vs other places

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently hired by Target (according to them it is NOT seasonal as I will be working in electronics). However, my first official day (this Friday) will be spent training on cashier. Afterwards, I will be training on electronics.

I’ve worked before as a cashier at two different major fast food chains beginning in July 2016, so roughly 15 months. For privacy purposes I’m not going to say where, but I’m not actually comparing Target to those two places— just other places in general. For someone with an intermediate/sorta advanced level of experience in using a POS system such as I do, how hard will it to grasp Target’s system?

Also, I’ve been seeing a lot of negative things said about Target by employees on the Internet (not necessarily this website)..is the disdain exaggerated? What is this 90 day policy I hear about? Didn’t hear anything about it in my interview or the orientation. Thanks.

Target's system is pretty easy to learn, once you remember what all the functions do and when to use them, which you should have no trouble doing, it's smooth sailing. Every workplace has it's share of problems, some stores obviously have more problems than others. It's not all horrible, but things are very challenging at times. On the 90 day policy: you are on probation during your first 90 days of work, you have certain limitations placed upon you, and any infractions that occur can easily lead to termination from your position.

There is another forum/blog website that specifically panders to the extreme and bad taste of the Target experience. This is one more tame and informational. All Stores Are Not the Same - ASANTS.

90 days is your probationary period when starting with Target. During this time, your leadership will review you. Your store can either keep you after 90 days or let you go at any time before your 90 days for any reason.
Key components:
- You are reviewed on a number of things. Ex. Performance/Attendance
- Your availability is usually locked.
- Your work area is locked.

The POS in general is self-explanatory. The IBM DOS POS days were OH SO FUN!! The more advanced functions are usually more situational and handled more by the Front. Electronics is going to be more ring up guests, Red Card apps, coupons, gift receipts.

Last edited:
Before joining Target, I hadn't worked retail in almost 20 years. My trainer and GSTL made several comments about how quickly I picked up the POS. I was completely on my own (except under my trainer's ID because they hadn't set up my own login yet) before my trainer went on her first break.

Targets POS system is super easy compared to other companies. I watched a cashier for 30 minutes and then I was on my own lol.

Cashier's POS is simple. And fairly user friendly. We have 80 year old women who can work it with ease. That says it all to me

I’ve worked before as a cashier at two different major fast food chains beginning in July 2016, so roughly 15 months. For privacy purposes I’m not going to say where, but I’m not actually comparing Target to those two places— just other places in general. For someone with an intermediate/sorta advanced level of experience in using a POS system such as I do, how hard will it to grasp Target’s system?

Target's POS system is not difficult to learn since the screen pretty much tells you which key does what function. Honestly, the hardest part for me, personally, was adjusting to using it after using more higher tech POS systems. My previous job used touch screen POS. When I started working at Target, I kept occasionally touching the screen out of habit. lol It took me a little bit of time to fully get used to the screen + keyboard method but that was about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back