Status
Not open for further replies.
anyways for anyone who wants to read the article directly

targetsettlement.png

A settlement has been reached between Christiansburg Target workers and Target Corporation after months of negotiations between Target’s hired law firm Littler Mendelson P.C. and the National Labor Relations Board. The National Labor Relations Board found Target management guilty of several labor rights violations including acts of discrimination, censorship, intimidation, threats, and surveillance of workers exercising their labor rights both during and after the August 2017 strike against worker abuses perpetrated by the now-fired general manager Daniel Butler.

After the success of the strike workers organized labor rights meetings only to face retaliation by management for exercising their labor rights. Management also waged a campaign of disinformation regarding the worker committee as a unionization drive. They actively discouraged workers from discussing the workers committee by holding captive audience meetings and giving the impression it is against the rules to discuss the workers committee or the store newsletter workers collaborated on to share thoughts and ideas regarding workplace issues.

Recently a worker came forward to confirm that management had encouraged workers to create a hostile work environment towards the workers who went on strike or collaborated with striking workers while also threatening the jobs of all workers by implying if workers were to band together under the workers committee Target would close the store down.

A major point of confusion among workers is what even is a workers committee. Some say it’s a union or an attempt at forming a union, but workers who are for the workers committee have repeatedly emphasized that it isn’t a union nor an attempt to form a union. There is a formal legal process workers must go through, which is mediated by the NLRB, to gain official union recognition, such as 30% of workers on the job must sign union authorization cards, file an election petition to the NLRB, and after a period of investigation by the NLRB to determine if there is enough interest to vote for a union the NLRB will then conduct a union election. This is the only way a union can be introduced on the job, the only exception is the voluntary recognition of a union by the employer [this rarely happens].

Workers who are in favor of the workers committee have never once asked other workers to sign union authorizations cards, nor will they. The workers committee is a different type of worker organization that is based on the right to engage in concerted activity outside of a union. It is comprised of rank and file workers who have solidarity with one another to provide support and protection against corporate and management misconduct. There is no need to hold an election in order to band together and organize for the interests of workers. The committee is born and lives through the collective action of coworkers, whether it’s through strikes against management abuse, the publication of the store newsletter, or sharing resources to support one another in everyday life both inside and outside of the workplace.

The workers committee is different from a formal union in many ways and based on the legitimate criticisms workers have towards unions. There is no third party coming in to add more bureaucracy and take worker’s pay through an automatic dues system. It is a rank and file initiative that’s entirely dependent on the participation of workers themselves and free of dues. It is democratic, it is grassroots, and it is necessary to have in every unorganized workplace in our community.

As a result of Target workers standing up and fighting for their rights to an abuse-free workplace and the right to freely associate and engage in concerted activity outside of a union they have opened up the space for a worker-friendly environment in the store free from intimidation and retaliation by management. The settlement stipulates that Target will not interfere with workers rights to strike, demonstrate, and assemble in non work areas of the store including the parking lot and store entrance where workers also have the right to engage Target customers and coworkers with any handbills or literature they may wish to distribute. Target has also committed to no longer threaten, intimidate, or spy on workers as they exercise their rights both on and off the clock. If Target decides to go against their word in the next six months they will automatically be penalized by the NLRB. This is a win for all workers across the New River Valley and the country. This is only one step in building an independent and militant working class movement.

Well we hope our experience can help other target coworkers know what their rights are and what is considered a violation by management as we all exercise those rights so they know not to cross the line...

No, but along with the mandatory notice there is a six month probationary period placed on Target so that if they violated our rights again during that timeframe then they will face automatic penalties
So what if they violate you after 6 months

So what if they violate you after 6 months
then the automatic penalty will be lifted as far as we know, but hopefully between now and then we will further build our workers committee to be better able to respond on a larger scale with even more workers than we have now.

then the automatic penalty will be lifted as far as we know, but hopefully between now and then we will further build our workers committee to be better able to respond on a larger scale with even more workers than we have now.
So they fired the old STL... how’s the new one? Is he/she down with your cause or na?

The problem is now on the NLRB ‘s radar. And there appears to be a worker’s association that offers alternative routes to deal with a hostile management situation.
Or not o_O

Last edited:
So they fired the old STL... how’s the new one? Is he/she down with your cause or na?
They are pretty chill, some workers feel he placates them by saying he will do certain things, but doesnt when they bring forward complaints, at the very least hes not creating a hostile work environment and sexually harassing women workers or making racist comments, so its a step up for sure. The real test will be when we exercise our rights by handing out our newsletter or whatever literature we have to coworkers and customers in non work areas when we are off the clock.

They are pretty chill, some workers feel he placates them by saying he will do certain things, but doesnt when they bring forward complaints, at the very least hes not creating a hostile work environment and sexually harassing women workers or making racist comments, so its a step up for sure. The real test will be when we exercise our rights by handing out our newsletter or whatever literature we have to coworkers and customers in non work areas when we are off the clock.
What constitutes a non work area?

I call bullshit on this article and thread title. Only information I can find is from an obviously biased website that supported the strike last year and is written by Jane Doe..... Really?

Plus if th he NLRB actually found Target guilty of these things, there would be huge fines and information on their site. Even the article says there was a settlement reached between Target and the workers.

I call bullshit on this article and thread title. Only information I can find is from an obviously biased website that supported the strike last year and is written by Jane Doe..... Really?

Plus if th he NLRB actually found Target guilty of these things, there would be huge fines and information on their site. Even the article says there was a settlement reached between Target and the workers.

Also, OP has a history of spreading propaganda here with skewed and manipulative information. I don't trust NRVstrike at all. There's no information about this online that doesn't come straight from this greasy fuck.

Last edited:
Not to mention if this did really happen it would be headlines on every news channel and newspaper. Made me smile though.

yeah, harass your fellow team members in the breakroom about your union while they're just trying to enjoy their 15 minute break, that's nice...

i still believe that OP only got a job at Target to try and unionize, or doesn't work at Target at all bc he keeps saying customer....

Will it be like the last one that was only posted in an obscure section of Workbench where 90% of the employees never saw it?
it will be posted on the compliance board, which isnt the most visible, but we plan to pass copies around so workers make sure to see and read it

yeah, harass your fellow team members in the breakroom about your union while they're just trying to enjoy their 15 minute break, that's nice...

i still believe that OP only got a job at Target to try and unionize, or doesn't work at Target at all bc he keeps saying customer....

Or finds the term 'guest' hypocritical and annoying.
I had to have it beaten into me as a TM (or whatever Spot is calling their employees these days) and I stopped using it as soon as I was performanced out.

it seems no matter how many times we say and show the evidence we are not a union and this isnt about forming a union theres always someone not paying attention only to have a knee jerk response and go "its a union"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back