MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Shake the unit. If you hear a noise, sled is disconnect from the iPod. Go under person icon on the left, scroll down to see if scanner is disconnected status.
Both don't have the shaking pieces they just won't charge and when I held down the scanner buttons a solid orange light showed up but that's it

So are there any stores here that have done away with PDAs completely and are using MyDevices exclusively (sales floor and backroom)? I'm curious, if Spot is ever going to get rid of the ever archaic PDA/RF Apps?!

So are there any stores here that have done away with PDAs completely and are using MyDevices exclusively (sales floor and backroom)? I'm curious, if Spot is ever going to get rid of the ever archaic PDA/RF Apps?!
Nope, no store will as even the receive and myfa app are still on PDA. And it sounds like there won't be much more development for the platform as the choice of sleds/equipment was horrible.

Archaic, but still more efficient and effective than any myDevice.
Hardly. The features of RF Apps, while familar, are extremely lacking. In a MyDevice, I can pull and stow in the same application. Same screen even. I can see multiple locations for backstocked items too. Outside of LOCU and batch pulling, there isn't much you can't do with the MyDevice easier, yet. I'm curious when the system will offer up "ghost" locations for mispulled items lost to the effect of putting in a lower quantity than what's being asked for, when doing Autos/CAFs. Hate that so much. Laziness breeds errors.

Probably won't see much more development until the 2nd gen. mD that will actually be an enterprise device not one pretending to be.

Hardly. The features of RF Apps, while familar, are extremely lacking. In a MyDevice, I can pull and stow in the same application. Same screen even. I can see multiple locations for backstocked items too.

The nice thing about RF Apps, though, is that it's not bogged down by unnecessary GUI that our network infrastructure can't handle (see: Item Search). Plus, as convenient as the features in MyWork are, the fact is, they only work when the MyDevice works. I'll take the spartan terminal-esque interface if it means reliable hardware.

In a perfect world, we would have devices that could perform all operations in a flash AND look pretty on the screen without hardware issues getting in the way, meaning they'd actually be useful when assisting guests and performing operational tasks such as pulling CAFs or ticketing clearance. But until Spot decides to invest more in IT and rolls out actual enterprise-worthy devices to replace the iPods, that's not going to happen.

iPods could be great devices. The infrastructure and rollout is where target's tech is dying. Target's website is a good indicator of how well their teams understand tech. Honeywell is the culprit of a lot of the hardware problems. Their stuff is always guaranteed to be garbage.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the common complaints would be resolved quickly if target's servers were more reliable. Having to wait three seconds for an item's location is unacceptable when I can do it quicker on my phone. Why your public facing servers perform, or appear to perform, at a much better rate is beyond me.

If the servers are getting bogged down, get more servers. If you can't improve latency, deploy a caching method at the store level. A store shouldn't rely on a single authentication and data retrieval method anyway. You're setting yourself up to fail.

I'd like to packet sniff the myDevices and see what all is going on. Some day, maybe I will.

Well I wouldn't knock Honeywell. I mean they make advanced systems for aerospace. Retail may just be some side hustle, but they're a legitimate company.

Was told by the Group Market Sales Leader today that "soon" mydevices will be able to drop manuel cafs and you can check the batch for dpci quantiy.

Was told by the Group Market Sales Leader today that "soon" mydevices will be able to drop manuel cafs and you can check the batch for dpci quantiy.
My Progress already shows DPCI quantity and Eaches for batches dropped.

Not many, if any at all, manuals have been dropped at my store. Expected during Black Friday, sure.

Last edited:
iPods could be great devices.

The key word being could. If not for the crappy network infrastructure, unreliable sleds, and poor battery life (not to mention you can't change the battery, the whole device has to be charged), they'd be excellent. But they're designed for consumer use; they're not meant to handle everything we do.

The key word being could. If not for the crappy network infrastructure, unreliable sleds, and poor battery life (not to mention you can't change the battery, the whole device has to be charged), they'd be excellent. But they're designed for consumer use; they're not meant to handle everything we do.
And new software and old hardware doesn't help either. These iPods came out in 2012 with iOS 6—I bought one—unless your store is blessed to have the updated ones and iOS 8 and the one of ours that runs iOS 9 is so laggy and slow. It's annoying.

#1 first and foremost IPODS ARE TOYS. Don't get me wrong I love me some iPods love PLAYING on them. #2 point has been made, battery sucks, can't be changed. Again ITS A TOY IT DIES QUICKLY. Target is a retail store and needs a workhorse device to make it the 14ish to 24 hours a day these things run. #3 and I think the best one. Let's get a couple of higher up corporate guys in, preferably the ones who think these things are a super idea but have no idea how to use a screw driver to uh "not take it apart to charge it" or time to call non support , take their cell away so they can't call their their corporate buddies and set them on pog, flow or pricing for the week. LOTS OF PROBLEMS will be fixed in a hurry. iPods can do great things, but lots of toys can.

#1 first and foremost IPODS ARE TOYS. Don't get me wrong I love me some iPods love PLAYING on them. #2 point has been made, battery sucks, can't be changed. Again ITS A TOY IT DIES QUICKLY. Target is a retail store and needs a workhorse device to make it the 14ish to 24 hours a day these things run. #3 and I think the best one. Let's get a couple of higher up corporate guys in, preferably the ones who think these things are a super idea but have no idea how to use a screw driver to uh "not take it apart to charge it" or time to call non support , take their cell away so they can't call their their corporate buddies and set them on pog, flow or pricing for the week. LOTS OF PROBLEMS will be fixed in a hurry. iPods can do great things, but lots of toys can.
This needs a Facebook "love" button.

They'd probably cry

Droppimg manuals with a mydevice with deleting a batch instead of closing it right?
Self-correction. Go into Manage Inventory for an item belonging to the fillgroup and the fillgroup displayed is a link you can click on. It will ask if you want all DPCIs or DPCIs for the ad and you can select one to drop a manual CAF.

Deleting a batch with DPCIs does nothing unless you adjusted the SFQ (on-floor) value to below the capacity for all locations, then it might drop those into the CAFs or Autofills as the system tries to fill the floor.

Last edited:
Self-correction. Go into Manage Inventory for an item belonging to the fillgroup and the fillgroup displayed is a link you can click on. It will ask if you want all DPCIs or DPCIs for the ad and you can select one to drop a manual CAF.

Deleting a batch with DPCIs does nothing unless you adjusted the SFQ (on-floor) value to below the capacity for all locations, then it might drop those into the CAFs or Autofills as the system tries to fill the floor.
I'm so guilty of the last part.

Back