MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

It doesn't bother me in the least. It may be annoying to wait for the scanner to be ready to scan, but I can now mark when it "should" be ready to go. If its still not I know to escalate to double-tap/swipe to close and try again.
I wish ours were that simple. I constantly have to do a full restart of the device to even get it to work. It's frustrating as hell when you're trying to help a customer. I may go tomorrow and see if I can at least get a more pleasant sound.

I got to play around with SIM/BCODE/Sled readiness update a bit a few days ago. Some take aways

1. The ability to have 2 printers connected and be able to process rewrap/NOF. Huge huge improvement over the PDAs. I'm able to scan something, realize it's CLR, print the ticket....scan another item, SIM it because it's online only, and print it...scan something...have it pop NOF, do a quick keyword search, find item, print BCODE. All from the same app, and it can spit out the appropriate CLR ticket or BCODE to the right printer. Before you'd have to juggle 2 PDA's and 2 printers and be careful about logging in to "HTML apps" or "RF apps" because that'd screw up the printers. Now I can process junk tubs a lot more quickly. The goal of a mydevice should be that I'm able to scan something and "solve it". This was a step in the right direction. But....

2. SIM doesn't communicate enough. I don't think the myDevice dev's are fully aware of what SIM is for. SIM is basically used for "This is an item that is giving me problems. It doesn't scan correctly, it's not on planogram, it's not on file, it's something I need to get rid of". It's really not used as much for repackage or damaged. It's a "Fix it" app. But the myDevices won't communicate WHY it needs to be fixed. With the PDA, we'd get a response saying something akin to "Item needs maintenance, wait 72 hours or mySupport" or something similar. I feel like there needs to be a change in the way the myDevices communicates to the user what the problem with the item scanned is. While this isn't something that is encountered on a daily basis, this is something that typically a leader will use to research/troubleshoot product issues.

Example 1. Item scanned...no item found. myDevices communicates that item is not found, gives option to print SIM ticket. This isn't really an issue as somebody coming from processing a lot of "NOF" as it's very similar to a PDA. But I feel like the myDevice should say something akin to "UPC not recognize. Stage item for a leader to research". As is, it's just saying "I dunno what this is, want a SIM ticket?". All the mydevice gives you is an error. An error without resolution is just extra workload.

Example 2. Item Scanned, it's for other stores/Online item. When scanning these items, we get a response from the myDevice. But the response doesn't really say what's going on. We just get a DPCI and an option to search other stores. So I'm left asking myself "What's the problem here? Why can't I put this item on the floor?"
On a PDA, it'd tell you "This item is sold at other stores" or "This item is an Online Only Item". IDEALLY these items would be processed at the service desk. But realistically, this doesn't happen. The myDevice needs communicate what needs to happen with the item.

3. Sled connectivity. The beep is nice. It gives me a bit of comfort, letting me know that I can scan. But I don't feel as if the scanner is working any better than before. The page where it tells me the scanner is connect/battery life....seems superficial. It's just there for my peace of mind. There have been times where it'll tell me that the scanner is connected/battery is at 100% but it still won't work. This happens typically when I'm switching work modes/having notifications pop up such as redwire pop ups or battery issues. I still get more results from literally breaking the case, forcing the iPod to disconnect from the scanner, and reconnect it. But it still doesn't address the core issue. The scanner is honestly, literally, and absolutely completely the source of all team member myDevice criticisms. It just doesn't work.

4. BCODE. 99% of the Bcodes I audit are because of perishables. I need those BCODES to have the date and be able to have a quantity. If I have 20 cases of strawberries come in, I need to know exactly what day they came in and be able to print 20 BCODES. The myDevice BCODE will not let me do that. I know this is upcoming...but I just hope you realize how important this is.

5. Leader on Duty. I feel like this is still an opportunity with the myDevices. As an LOD, I don't feel like I'm empowered in the same way I was with an LPDA. With an LPDA, I had alerts and buzzes and vibrates with one login. I knew what needed to be done, immediately, and with a sense of urgency. With the myDevice...I don't. Redwire logs me out constantly, and there's no alerting queue for "Address this now" alerts. With "Urgent News", your PDA wouldn't stop bugging you until you addressed that recall or MIR or invalid sale sign. With the myDevice though, a lot of "need to know" information isn't being pushed towards leaders.
What needs a higher alert priority with a SINGLE myWork login-
Overdue non-PMT RedWires
Sales/Redcard/Payroll Alerts.
Storewide myProgress flags(Price Audit incompletes/Check Dates/Backroom Pull times alerts/MyFA alerts)
Needing to login to myWork, redwire, and myProgress just adds another barrier to the LOD knowing what is going on in the store. All these items need to be presentable and easy to view for the LOD.

We've stepped in the right directly. But there's still a lot of opportunities for empowering our team.

You can hog 2 printers I can barley find 1 to use and they take that after 2hours as I cry

Also just 20 cases of strawberries I wish try 140 cases of strawberries aka 1 1/2 pallets

So looks like the new .28 version updates to improve price change speed instead has screwed accuracy reporting completely. I noticed a few stores in the group having their rework score shoot up by 15-25% over previous weeks, bringing them from green overall accuracy to red.

Similar to how others mentioned that "Print Clearance Ticket" always counted as rework, now it looks like using the new quantity option under auto print will also count tickets as rework.

You can hog 2 printers I can barley find 1 to use and they take that after 2hours as I cry

Also just 20 cases of strawberries I wish try 140 cases of strawberries aka 1 1/2 pallets
I hoard a couple in pfresh, with power cords. With the removal of the pricing tl and condensing with plano TL I was able to snatch them without anyone "auditing" where they went. We had a lot out for fixing at the time as well, so the cords looked like extras. Best thing I've ever done. :cool:

I got the bcode qty to work for me. I'll test it again tomorrow on c&s but it worked fine sat when I needed it to.

Also the push for this initial release of SIM was so fitting room could repackage just as much as the other sim features. I agree it doesn't let us know why we need to SIM it, but I've gotten used to the subtle hints when I scan an item. Just an error with the UPC numbers is NOF, "search at other stores" is not legal for ours.

I've recently started having more sled issues with one of my devices for pfresh, and I'm wondering how much lint is getting up in the connections. When I pull the ipod from the sled its pretty linty in the bottom of the sled space. Could this be effecting it? Been awhile since I've owned any apple products and my case for my phone has flaps to seal the openings.

I hoard a couple in pfresh, with power cords. With the removal of the pricing tl and condensing with plano TL I was able to snatch them without anyone "auditing" where they went. We had a lot out for fixing at the time as well, so the cords looked like extras. Best thing I've ever done. :cool:

I got the bcode qty to work for me. I'll test it again tomorrow on c&s but it worked fine sat when I needed it to.

Also the push for this initial release of SIM was so fitting room could repackage just as much as the other sim features. I agree it doesn't let us know why we need to SIM it, but I've gotten used to the subtle hints when I scan an item. Just an error with the UPC numbers is NOF, "search at other stores" is not legal for ours.

I've recently started having more sled issues with one of my devices for pfresh, and I'm wondering how much lint is getting up in the connections. When I pull the ipod from the sled its pretty linty in the bottom of the sled space. Could this be effecting it? Been awhile since I've owned any apple products and my case for my phone has flaps to seal the openings.
Honestly I think the sled is crap...

So looks like the new .28 version updates to improve price change speed instead has screwed accuracy reporting completely. I noticed a few stores in the group having their rework score shoot up by 15-25% over previous weeks, bringing them from green overall accuracy to red.

Similar to how others mentioned that "Print Clearance Ticket" always counted as rework, now it looks like using the new quantity option under auto print will also count tickets as rework.

I am so glad to hear this from someone else!! The score says I printed almost 500 rework tickets, I was like What?! Score dropped way down. I was hoping it was just an issue with the mydevice. It seems like everytime something gets fixed, a new problem arises. Its getting so frustrating.
So are you saying that when you have auto print on, it will count the "how many more" tickets as rework? Guess I will just have to stop using that function

I've added a backlog item to allow swiping to delete, but there's a lot of other things higher on the list so no promise on ETA.

We don't allow this because it never made workload sense, because sales accumulator is updated as you count each location, if you were to lower/delete the count the rest would just get pulled out later in a CAF batch anyway.

If you're only missing a few wouldn't it just be faster to scan the items and print those few labels rather than scan the POG and delete all the labels you don't want? Or are you not sure which items are missing?

Under the Label Printing App for the PDAs it would allow you to print an unown missing item label by scanning the first label before and after the missing labels and it would let you select and print them. This functionality should be added to the MyWork app.

Also another cool feature under MyWork would be to allow you to MySupport an item or Planogram after scanning the item or label. This would allow for more time on the floor.

I am so glad to hear this from someone else!! The score says I printed almost 500 rework tickets, I was like What?! Score dropped way down. I was hoping it was just an issue with the mydevice. It seems like everytime something gets fixed, a new problem arises. Its getting so frustrating.
So are you saying that when you have auto print on, it will count the "how many more" tickets as rework? Guess I will just have to stop using that function

I am only guessing on the source of the rework discrepancy, but based on the fact some scans were still being counted as first, further, final and only a certain percentage are showing as rework it was the only thing that makes sense to me. Especially when you start to dig into the Detail report and look at which departments are showing the most rework tickets, for me those departments are the ones that typically are ones with higher OH counts where using the QTY field would have made sense.

For this week we are going back to just using Auto Print as if QTY extra doesn't exist to see if that fixes the reporting. It's going to be slower, but I'm the one that is going to be held responsible for red metrics, especially when they are rolling out the .28 updates at different times / weeks. So until we get a Redwire / MySupport to come down admitting to the issue I'm going to scan items like we used to pre-update.

I am only guessing on the source of the rework discrepancy, but based on the fact some scans were still being counted as first, further, final and only a certain percentage are showing as rework it was the only thing that makes sense to me. Especially when you start to dig into the Detail report and look at which departments are showing the most rework tickets, for me those departments are the ones that typically are ones with higher OH counts where using the QTY field would have made sense.

For this week we are going back to just using Auto Print as if QTY extra doesn't exist to see if that fixes the reporting. It's going to be slower, but I'm the one that is going to be held responsible for red metrics, especially when they are rolling out the .28 updates at different times / weeks. So until we get a Redwire / MySupport to come down admitting to the issue I'm going to scan items like we used to pre-update.

I will be doing the same thing. The score will come back down on me, so I will have to prove it that there is a glitch. I sent a my support about the issue, but i wont know what they said probably for another day or two

I can only hog 2 printers on my closing/mid shifts after 3pm and all specialty teams are gone :p

And my goal for the next few years is to get transferred to a high volume/Super T store so I can really experience a high volume PFRESH store. I want to see what I can do with a store that gets in 5-6 pallets of produce a day.

I can only hog 2 printers on my closing/mid shifts after 3pm and all specialty teams are gone :p

And my goal for the next few years is to get transferred to a high volume/Super T store so I can really experience a high volume PFRESH store. I want to see what I can do with a store that gets in 5-6 pallets of produce a day.
We are high volume Pfresh we get 10 pallets of of Pfresh 4 days a week with only a team of 4 to 5 to push. I, PA , push bananas 18 cases, 1 meat/ produce and 3 to 4 produce pallets. While the team pushes the dairy and frozen. We also get 2 pallets of vendor milk about 400 gallons. Lol so busy for 8 hours.

I have an issue with BCODE. When I click See All Options > Any BCODE it prints one ticket and asks how many more I need. However regardless of how many more I request it only gives me one additional ticket. Am I doing something wrong here or is this a bug?

The summer software update is needed to add the date, the ios update only installed half. Check redwire for your install date.

The how many more tickets was a bit touchy for me, but it printed two or five if I asked.

@NitroKing2110 Do you know if you have the PDA update also? A good way to test is to see if print with date and if that's not working you don't have the other part of the update.

Yes its pace is slow and makes it impossible to go at a decent pace.

The waiting for the scanner to come on line is the biggest time waster about these things. It is one of many frustrations about them. That needs to be instant, not 20 seconds later if at all. That screen comes up, that scanner needs to be ready at the same time.

It looks bad to a guest when you say "Yes I can scan that for you and - nothing, more nothing and more nothing," cause you equipment is taking its sweet time.

Are people seriously waiting 20 seconds for scanners? Mine is consistently 3 seconds, I've tested other ones and I have found a few that are a quarter of a second slower than mine, but that's it. It is weird as they are both consistent, so I'm wondering if there are "bad" sleds out there that are even drastically worse. I'd especially love if people had videos of this as anything over 5 seconds is not at all acceptable.

Does it play anytime you unlock the screen or reboot it and is just a little jingly noise? That's just the "scanner is ready" alert. If it's something less frequent and sounds more like a "computer freaking out" bad sound, I don't know what that is but I'd guess it's a "noo you're trying to scan too early" alert. I don't hear it very often though.

The "computer freaking out" should have only been happening in beta versions put in a couple pilot stores, 28 should never do that. Are you still hearing that in 28? There is also a negative sound if the scanner fails to activate, but it shouldn't sound like "freaking out".

Anybody else use the "show promo signs" feature of the MyDevices to look what signs are missing and print them? And have you been getting weird results when creating sign batches from that? Because our ad setup today used that feature heavily and we got some weird results. We're talking the batches coming up with paper, display-type 3x5s for SD cards and bike locks or unnecessary 7x11s (pretty sure that batch included the 3x3s for the same product too) Best of all, an endcap with some giftcard/special purchase deal where it first printed off all the 3x3s I needed then (before I cancelled the print job) it tried to print off what I'm guessing was a 7x11 for each 3x3 sign. In retrospect I only needed just a 7x11 for that endcap but still, what the hell?

Apparently this wasn't an issue last Sunday so I'm wondering if it's update-related; we got our latest update in the last week or so.

That sounds like a data setup issue, that would only happen if each item was on it's own 7x11. I'd be curious as to what the POG # was and if the 7x11 were the same or different sign numbers.

3. Sled connectivity. The beep is nice. It gives me a bit of comfort, letting me know that I can scan. But I don't feel as if the scanner is working any better than before. The page where it tells me the scanner is connect/battery life....seems superficial. It's just there for my peace of mind. There have been times where it'll tell me that the scanner is connected/battery is at 100% but it still won't work. This happens typically when I'm switching work modes/having notifications pop up such as redwire pop ups or battery issues. I still get more results from literally breaking the case, forcing the iPod to disconnect from the scanner, and reconnect it. But it still doesn't address the core issue. The scanner is honestly, literally, and absolutely completely the source of all team member myDevice criticisms. It just doesn't work.

Great write up, I've passed along the info I removed from the quote to our SIM/BCODE owner.

As for the scanner we are looking at the pop-up scenario, I haven't heard of switching work modes, has anyone else noticed this pattern?

5. Leader on Duty. I feel like this is still an opportunity with the myDevices. As an LOD, I don't feel like I'm empowered in the same way I was with an LPDA. With an LPDA, I had alerts and buzzes and vibrates with one login. I knew what needed to be done, immediately, and with a sense of urgency. With the myDevice...I don't. Redwire logs me out constantly, and there's no alerting queue for "Address this now" alerts. With "Urgent News", your PDA wouldn't stop bugging you until you addressed that recall or MIR or invalid sale sign. With the myDevice though, a lot of "need to know" information isn't being pushed towards leaders.

What needs a higher alert priority with a SINGLE myWork login-

Overdue non-PMT RedWires

Sales/Redcard/Payroll Alerts.

Storewide myProgress flags(Price Audit incompletes/Check Dates/Backroom Pull times alerts/MyFA alerts)

Needing to login to myWork, redwire, and myProgress just adds another barrier to the LOD knowing what is going on in the store. All these items need to be presentable and easy to view for the LOD.

We've stepped in the right directly. But there's still a lot of opportunities for empowering our team.

I don't have a lot of great news for reporting right now, but we are aware it is lacking. The app was built by a 3rd party vendor so it's hard for us to fix it ourselves.

As for logging in, I'll take a look as it should be "single sign-on".

Are you talking about the female connector on the sled or the iPod? The sled one should have it's own flag, but I imagine those are getting ripped off, though I don't see that one having an importance for scanning. Now if it is the lighting port on the iPod itself, well firstly I'm surprised it has lint in it as it should be in the dock at all times so they shouldn't get lint in them, right? But I do know that lint in the lightning connector can be very troublesome from my past iPhone 5 as every time I plugged in the cable it compacted the lint at the top until the point the cable could not be properly seated while it still felt properly connected it slowly got more and more sensitive where if I nudged the phone while charging it would disconnect. I ended up using one of those all plastic twist ties you get on electronics (no metal) and dug out the lint. After that the connection became super secure again.

I would be kind of surprised if this was happening on the iPods.

Under the Label Printing App for the PDAs it would allow you to print an unown missing item label by scanning the first label before and after the missing labels and it would let you select and print them. This functionality should be added to the MyWork app.

I might be dense, but I don't understand this. What is the "first label" as apposed to the missing labels. You can print barcodes for items now and print SIM now, so what exactly is this flow you are talking about?

Also another cool feature under MyWork would be to allow you to MySupport an item or Planogram after scanning the item or label. This would allow for more time on the floor.

It's in the works.

I'll pass these on

@NitroKing2110 Do you know if you have the PDA update also? A good way to test is to see if print with date and if that's not working you don't have the other part of the update.

Are people seriously waiting 20 seconds for scanners? Mine is consistently 3 seconds, I've tested other ones and I have found a few that are a quarter of a second slower than mine, but that's it. It is weird as they are both consistent, so I'm wondering if there are "bad" sleds out there that are even drastically worse. I'd especially love if people had videos of this as anything over 5 seconds is not at all acceptable.

The "computer freaking out" should have only been happening in beta versions put in a couple pilot stores, 28 should never do that. Are you still hearing that in 28? There is also a negative sound if the scanner fails to activate, but it shouldn't sound like "freaking out".

That sounds like a data setup issue, that would only happen if each item was on it's own 7x11. I'd be curious as to what the POG # was and if the 7x11 were the same or different sign numbers.

Great write up, I've passed along the info I removed from the quote to our SIM/BCODE owner.

As for the scanner we are looking at the pop-up scenario, I haven't heard of switching work modes, has anyone else noticed this pattern?

I don't have a lot of great news for reporting right now, but we are aware it is lacking. The app was built by a 3rd party vendor so it's hard for us to fix it ourselves.

As for logging in, I'll take a look as it should be "single sign-on".

Are you talking about the female connector on the sled or the iPod? The sled one should have it's own flag, but I imagine those are getting ripped off, though I don't see that one having an importance for scanning. Now if it is the lighting port on the iPod itself, well firstly I'm surprised it has lint in it as it should be in the dock at all times so they shouldn't get lint in them, right? But I do know that lint in the lightning connector can be very troublesome from my past iPhone 5 as every time I plugged in the cable it compacted the lint at the top until the point the cable could not be properly seated while it still felt properly connected it slowly got more and more sensitive where if I nudged the phone while charging it would disconnect. I ended up using one of those all plastic twist ties you get on electronics (no metal) and dug out the lint. After that the connection became super secure again.

I would be kind of surprised if this was happening on the iPods.

I might be dense, but I don't understand this. What is the "first label" as apposed to the missing labels. You can print barcodes for items now and print SIM now, so what exactly is this flow you are talking about?

It's in the works.

I'll pass these on
I've heard the computer "freaking out" sound twice, a long with the "scanner ready" sound and "disconnect" sound. It sounds like the hand scanner on the registers when You haven't fully logged on.

I've heard the computer "freaking out" sound twice, a long with the "scanner ready" sound and "disconnect" sound. It sounds like the hand scanner on the registers when You haven't fully logged on.
The "freaking out" sound used to be the connected and disconnected sounds both play very rapidly and just make a gibberish sound, this was because the sled can't make up it's mind and sends the same notification over and over again, but we put filtering in so that shouldn't happen anymore, is that the sound you think you're hearing? (It used to come up often after letting the device rest for awhile and then unlocking it, but I haven't heard it since the fix)

@OtherGuy I am talking about the shelf labels (yellow & white price labels). Often times labels are missing for pegged locations, and if the item is out of stock, you have no way to find out what label belongs there unless you pull up the planogram. The Label Printing app on the PDA has an option were you can scan the previous label and the label after the missing label to identify the one that needs to be printed without looking at the planogram on WB. This would be a nice feature on the MyWork app.

The "freaking out" sound used to be the connected and disconnected sounds both play very rapidly and just make a gibberish sound, this was because the sled can't make up it's mind and sends the same notification over and over again, but we put filtering in so that shouldn't happen anymore, is that the sound you think you're hearing? (It used to come up often after letting the device rest for awhile and then unlocking it, but I haven't heard it since the fix)
Its possible. I couldn't tell you how long it had been resting before I unlocked it and it did that. Its like a tri-tone sound if im correct.

This is not a new issue, but one that I encounter regularly. You tap the magnifying glass icon to perform a search, and the search box will appear and go back to the right where it came from, causing the user to repeat, often more than once.

Also, as I have brought up before, the search results need to be better in the case of a misspelling in the search terms. Samsung should be the result if someone mistypes Samsing. If any search engine or auto-correct can do this, why can the search on the MyDevice? I believe it has been mentioned that we are stuck with the keyboard that is there, so a bigger key keyboard is out.

Since the latest update, my connectivity to Redwire seems to go away. Having to log back into it hourly.

@OtherGuy Yes people are waiting stupid amounts of time since there doesn't seem to be a consistent with how the sled scanner comes on line. The previous update it seemed to be ok, but with this new update its out the window. I have not had much luck this last week with sleds coming on line on a consistent basis. It is beyond frustrating, Cause one you figure out the sled isn't coming on line you then have to see which fix actually works.. And that is hit and miss as well.

And it looks really bad to the guest, when you troubleshoot the thing and nothing works until you pull the thing apart and jerk the iPod out of the sled and reconnect it.

Grab two mydevices, dim the screen super low, and turn off auto locking. No waiting for the sled to activate. When battery dies, get reserve mydevice. Shitty? Yes.

Since update 28, I've had no scanning sled initializer ion problems with any of the mydevices at my store. They always activate within 3-5 seconds. Any notifications that pop up though will disable the scanner. A quick lock and unlock fixes that every time, but it's a little annoying. Redwire alerts cause it, but the worst are the low battery notifications because you basically have to swap devices at that point since the battery notifications pop up incessantly when doing the lock/unlock method to deactivate the sled.

This is not a new issue, but one that I encounter regularly. You tap the magnifying glass icon to perform a search, and the search box will appear and go back to the right where it came from, causing the user to repeat, often more than once.

Also, as I have brought up before, the search results need to be better in the case of a misspelling in the search terms. Samsung should be the result if someone mistypes Samsing. If any search engine or auto-correct can do this, why can the search on the MyDevice? I believe it has been mentioned that we are stuck with the keyboard that is there, so a bigger key keyboard is out.

Since the latest update, my connectivity to Redwire seems to go away. Having to log back into it hourly.
Went through this the other night. Wooki retrieved nothing. Wookii got the toy. Had to use the target app on my phone to find that. It's like battle of the tech. Mywork vs target app vs 4glte vs wi-fi.

@OtherGuy this is my best attempt at a pic of the lint. Taking a pic of a phone case with a phone...not so fun.

I had to pull mine out three times today. Had the one I used yesterday without problems completely stop working randomly for another team member. Usually I might need to pull the asked once a week.

Also how do I check the sled battery life?

Attachments

• 20150526_150728.jpg
    20150526_150728.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 64

Its always been hourly. I can count up to the second the hour hits and i stop getting alerts. I just set a reminder to log back in every hour and i don't miss anything. It was supposed to be 2 hours; don't know what happened to that.

Back