MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Updated to myWork 0.35.86 today.

Things I've noticed so far:
  1. The "What's new" page was blank
  2. There is no beep when I scan
  3. The change capacity function has be removed, or maybe moved but I can't find it.

1. I didn't check the "What's new" page today so I can't speak t it being blank or not but yesterday when a fellow TM checked it was still the stuff from Sept. 9th or so. When I checked the day before I thought I had seen stuff from the Oct. 22 update talking about the NumPad button and all the other goodies that were added with that update.
2. The 'no beep' shouldn't be because of the update. I am trying to figure out exactly what is causing this/how to fix this but going through the settings there wasn't anything I could see SO I am assuming it is the Honeywell Case Speaker not working correctly for one reason or another (my bet is on dropping the MyDevice). I was hoping to crack one open today and take a look around inside to see if there is a speaker in the case or not but I ran out of time so I will have to push it off until tomorrow.
3. I have seen the SFQ functionality disappear from two different MyDevices on two separate days (back in October). The first one I fixed by reinstalling/re-updating the MyWork App and the second time it was fixed just but force closing the app and opening it back up. I haven't seen a MyDevice where the disappearance lingered for longer than a minute. See if doing this fixes the issue said MyDevice was having if it still has the problem the next time you are using it.

So, 35.86 takes away a call we were making to find out about StS items (its configurable now and only on in a few stores). The beep and change cap stuff shouldn't be any different.

The perf gain comes from something outside the app and the way the bits travel around the Targetsphere. Top level scanning is measurably faster - 2x, but, depending on where you are and what you are used to (and what you measure too), it may not feel that different. If it feels better, then hooray it is and we'll have some celebratory cake over here. If it doesn't feel different we'll have consolation cake.

I am not 100% sure what 'top level scanning' is referring to but I assume it is scanning items with the main screen that everyone sees when they first start scanning items like Ring included in his picture above. With that being said I spend a majority of my day in research scanning items. Today it appeared our network was really struggling to do anything whether it was WorkBench at the workstations or trying to look up a specific item in MyWork. At one point one of our MyDevices wouldn't update Cartwheel at all and then wouldn't reconnect to tcwireless until we reset the network settings completely. I did notice a few times where the scanning and page loading was going really fast but then it stopped after a few scans.

Overall I'd say today wasn't a good day for my store to see if scanning was going faster or not due to the network issues we were having, but people I have asked the last two days mentioned they had noticed some improvement.

@InstocksGuru - when you reset network settings ... see if you can open up safari and search google for anything ..or get anywhere else. We've noticed that devices that have that step done, without something pushed from device management, devices can't talk to the web ...and usually can't talk to the settings service that controls what shows up (SFQ) or charges when or lets your device get app updates over the air. Let me know if you see that happening.

Top level scanning - i'm making things up ... what i meant was the info that shows at the top of the screen after scanning - that should show up - while we go fetch the bits for the rest of the screen. That should have been better yesterday and today.

Network issues today could be explained by lots of stuff as we prep for next week's fun we're limbering up by throwing around massive amounts of data. Let me know if it keeps happening though.

@InstocksGuru - when you reset network settings ... see if you can open up safari and search google for anything ..or get anywhere else. We've noticed that devices that have that step done, without something pushed from device management, devices can't talk to the web ...and usually can't talk to the settings service that controls what shows up (SFQ) or charges when or lets your device get app updates over the air. Let me know if you see that happening.

Top level scanning - i'm making things up ... what i meant was the info that shows at the top of the screen after scanning - that should show up - while we go fetch the bits for the rest of the screen. That should have been better yesterday and today.

Network issues today could be explained by lots of stuff as we prep for next week's fun we're limbering up by throwing around massive amounts of data. Let me know if it keeps happening though.

@mobileFellow After we reset the network settings that is the first thing we checked. From past experiences we knew that if Safari wouldn't load a webpage after that step that we were going to have to call CSC to get them to push the new packets to the MyDevice. Luckily this time around it worked just fine with just the reset! :D After Safari loaded google.com for us by the time we got back to the Home Screen cartwheel had all ready updated and installed said update.

Talking with a fellow In-Stocks TM he said he noticed the data at the top of the screen loading near instant. In fact, he was using just the DPCI (and other stuff at the top of the screen) instead of the location to see if things were in the correct location before he scanned research.

If it feels better, then hooray it is and we'll have some celebratory cake over here. If it doesn't feel different we'll have consolation cake.

It sounds like you are just eating cake regardless and wanted to tell everyone about it. Back in my day we had to walk up hill both ways to the store and do an emergency hot fix in the dead of night and if we were lucky we might get a great team card once a year, and you know what? We liked it! ;P

lol, but really just dropped by to say I have found my next adventure and I will be shaking up the medical app world. So exciting stuff there!

Also best of luck to everyone this holiday shopping season!

It sounds like you are just eating cake regardless and wanted to tell everyone about it. Back in my day we had to walk up hill both ways to the store and do an emergency hot fix in the dead of night and if we were lucky we might get a great team card once a year, and you know what? We liked it! ;P

lol, but really just dropped by to say I have found my next adventure and I will be shaking up the medical app world. So exciting stuff there!

Also best of luck to everyone this holiday shopping season!
Exciting! Congrats!

Scan speeds are faster. But the Target app is still slow. Any ETA on the new iPods? Today I took my phone out to lookup an item because the app was taking a long time to load.

You also used to be able to print any missing labels on an aisle just by scanning an item before and an item after the missing label. Now you have to either get a hold of the line listing from the POG or reprint all labels to find the one you're missing. It usually just ends up flexed over with something random. Then when the missing item comes in, it either gets backstocked or flexed into another location, causing a neverending cycle of screwed up POGs.

You also used to be able to print any missing labels on an aisle just by scanning an item before and an item after the missing label. Now you have to either get a hold of the line listing from the POG or reprint all labels to find the one you're missing. It usually just ends up flexed over with something random. Then when the missing item comes in, it either gets backstocked or flexed into another location, causing a neverending cycle of screwed up POGs.
What I do is drop a batch for the whole pog, open it up to find the missing location dpci, then do a new batch for just that label. Time intensive over the old way, but it works on big pogs instead of printing pages of labels. Bonus if I can find a hip printer to just do one label.

The PDAs can display online items along with in store items on the same page in item search. I don't know why this wasn't included on the myDevice. Pretty dumb.

The MyDevice can do this if you use the Target App and search for a product. There are times I will use the Target App over the MyWork app when searching for the item because then I won't have to find the exact abbreviation/Terms Target decided to use for said item. (Have to search for Foxlamp instead of Fox Lamp to find a lamp that looks like a fox from Nate Berkus). Anyways... When you search using the Target App you can choose between Target.com tab or a local store tab (for me it is set to the store I work at but you can change it to another store if you would like).

Now if you are referring to the MyWork App, then I believe you are correct.

The Target app is so poorly optimized for the slow iPods that it's faster for me to pull out my phone, open the app, and search for the item, than it is to toggle over on the iPod.

The MyDevice can do this if you use the Target App and search for a product. There are times I will use the Target App over the MyWork app when searching for the item because then I won't have to find the exact abbreviation/Terms Target decided to use for said item. (Have to search for Foxlamp instead of Fox Lamp to find a lamp that looks like a fox from Nate Berkus). Anyways... When you search using the Target App you can choose between Target.com tab or a local store tab (for me it is set to the store I work at but you can change it to another store if you would like).

Now if you are referring to the MyWork App, then I believe you are correct.
I am referring to myWork yes. It's dumb to be required to toggle apps and run another search, just to get a dpci so you can toggle back again, and search the dpci to find the info you need. When you search something on the PDA, you can select "show online items," so that you don't need to toggle to a new app. You just search something for a guest and either tell them "yes we have it" or "it's online only." Skip the extra steps.

I am referring to myWork yes. It's dumb to be required to toggle apps and run another search, just to get a dpci so you can toggle back again, and search the dpci to find the info you need. When you search something on the PDA, you can select "show online items," so that you don't need to toggle to a new app. You just search something for a guest and either tell them "yes we have it" or "it's online only." Skip the extra steps.
The red button hovering over the search results in the bottom right corner can narrow your results. In store/online is a choice. It's not completely accurate, especially for things not yet on pog or recently off a pog, but most things it does ok.

Then, takes forever when it can't find item. Whip the out the phone.

The Target app is so poorly optimized for the slow iPods that it's faster for me to pull out my phone, open the app, and search for the item, than it is to toggle over on the iPod.

Yes, the target app on the mydevice is virtually unusable.

I end up using the Target app on the iPods because no matter what I do Target.com on my phone never loads the mobile version and I'm not going to try and deal with a fullscreen page on a tiny little screen. I'll take slow speeds over slapping my sausage fingers all over links I didn't mean to click.

Also pretty sure the loss of scanning sounds comes from something in the iPod breaking. Twice now I've dropped an iPod and it loses that functionality.

because no matter what I do Target.com on my phone never loads the mobile version and I'm not going to try and deal with a fullscreen page on a tiny little screen. I'll take slow speeds over slapping my sausage fingers all over links I didn't mean to click.

Have you tried clearing your cookies?

Almost all the myDevices in our store, the scanner works for a little bit then stops working. Closing out app and rebooting doesn't fix problem.

Almost all the myDevices in our store, the scanner works for a little bit then stops working. Closing out app and rebooting doesn't fix problem.
Same problem here :/ I tried opening them up and putting a spacer of some sort in there to keep the battery in place. That only works on a few of them though.

It's the sled battery. After all of my tinkering with them, my best guess is that the contact pins have worn down the part where they touch the battery so much that the battery has trouble connecting and sometimes just doesn't charge at all. I think most of our problems could be solved if we could order new batteries, but I could be wrong.

I tried to pull up MyGo on the MyDevice today (iPad was down), but it was prompting for store number and password. I tried everything I could think of but I couldn't get it to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried rebooting while in the cradle? Its the last fall back I have before opening them up and tinkering. Set in cradle, hold down the power top right button and the round one on the actual screen til it reboots.

I tried to pull up MyGo on the MyDevice today (iPad was down), but it was prompting for store number and password. I tried everything I could think of but I couldn't get it to work.

Anyone have any ideas?
It was fucked today til almost 5pm EST. Guests could place orders, they got their fulfilled e-mail but we couldn't process them for pickup. It got pretty rough, cause we couldn't cancel them either....

Back