Archived Target releases to the AP that they will open at midnight on Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retail is about making money and I am sure there will be plenty of guests shopping at midnight. Being in retail there are sacrifices such as this. As for hOw it was announced they would have gotten flack any way it was done. I only wish it had been announced a bit earlier so we could have been more prepared staffing wise as that schedule comes out in two weeks. As in life sometimes you just have to roll with it and be thankful that it isn't anything worse.

Eventually as a company you have to decide if you will put any sort of value on the personal lives of the employees. While Target is here to make money, what message are they sending their team (including STLs,ETLs, etc...) about the importance of being with family during such an important time of year? And the fact that some of us found out from the media is even worse. I know for a fact the emails that STLs received today were senior leaders scrambling to try to get messages to stores after Target communications leaked this to the media.

Just found out while i was checkin the stocks app in my ipod. When i saw the news, well let's just say no sleep and alot of energy drinks for me on thanksgiving till the end of my shift on black friday

Here are the downsides for the midnight opening.

*Thats going to be a lot of time and a half.

*Lots of ad item prep work on Wed. night. Since there will be little or no prep time for Black Friday

*A perfect Wed. night zone.

*Friday & Saturday Cash Office is going to be bad.

*And the question is "will stores have any enough coverage for a 22-23 hour+any open prep+closing zone day?"
we have issues just trying to fill a normal week for cashiers.

it sounds like i was one of the lucky ones today. they called us all together about 1:45, and told us. said the release was going to happen at 2 i believe (our time) , and they wanted us to hear from them. i give them kudos for that. however, with the early shift, i wish they would take volunteers first before they start the schedule. lets face it, especially, if you are not a morning person, you had better not be scheduled that early. you are going to a rotten time, your piers around you will too as a result of your bad temperment. I know this is hard for a lot of TM's. Think out of the box, and maybe they will listen to us. In previous years, i had always been an opener. for some stupid reason, they put me as a mid last year. not my favorite time. I love to be in the middle of black friday. it is fun, again, if you are a morning people person. our store is talking about trying to get out earlier than 3 am on thursday morning. they always shoot for midnight and it seems to get later each year. hmmm

This is totally going to screw up the scheduling in some of my workcenters. On a side note does anyone know if the black Friday ad has been leaked yet?

I don't really see how else they could have announced it. If they tell the media hours or days before the TMs, what would be the point of telling us? If they told the TMs and told them all "please be quiet about this until XX time when we tell the media" you know damn well that they can't expect all 350,000+ TMs to actually stay quiet and not tell someone in passing somewhere, and in this day and age with social media it would have been everywhere in no time flat.

Our STL announced they would be accepting anyone willing to work a 10 hour shift and that we've been approved for overtime for that week. I've even been included with the AP team to help with crowd management(I'm 6ft 1in, 240lbs and my voice carries. Guess they wanted someone with "presence").

I saw my ETL's copy on the desk.
The paragraph about letting the team know "how MUCH we APPRECIATE them" & how they're a "VITAL part of the TEAM" just about made me sick.
Not even a glimmer of sincerity...

(excuse the language, i took this from my FB page)

it's ************ing BULL************ they leak this to the media before letting hard working team members know about it. I have been working for target since July 2010, I left my grocery store job for this in hopes of better hours and pay. Bull************. I got the hours, but you are treated like a goddamn slave wage earning DOG for the amount of work you do and the amount of ************ you put up with. Target, you royally ************ed yourself in the ass. More headcount required on black friday? yes, which screws over 4th quarter hours and possibly first and second in the months after. No hours. How can you HONESTLY expect to compete with walmart when you pull bull************ like this. Chances are, I'm going to walk out in the middle of my shift. I don't spend alot of time with my family, but around the holidays. I cherish. Every. Single. Moment with them. You ************ed up bad, target.

Sincerely, a disgruntled Target team member.

I see this as a last minute decision for the company. The fact that we are this close with no "official" time shows that, within my store and district it was just assumed that it would be 4AM, so most everything was scheduled around that. This opening at 12 AM will probably be a disaster more because the stores didn't have the time to prepare and hire for that. Shoot, I personally have planned around being there at 1 AM as part of the Crowd Management Team. Now I don't know what I am going to do, it really means no sleep if I plan to have a family dinner. I understand why Stores were not told before it went public, however, they really should have reached a decision sooner, both for Store planning and personal planning. As with me, this decision makes the difference between a family dinner or sleep.

Target can go to hell. They lied and then told the public before they told us they were going to screw us out of a holiday. I am so sick of the idiots running this company. This is going to be complete mess and I will enjoy watching the fall out from it. Fast Fun and Friendly? Wait till you have a store full of half asleep team members pissed off they got screwed out of enjoying Thanksgiving. Screw you HQ.

pzychopopgroove tell us how you really feel.

But I see this as a scheduling disaster. You are going to have people max out on 40 hours mid day Black Friday. No one is going to be available Saturday.

Target can go to hell. They lied and then told the public before they told us they were going to screw us out of a holiday. I am so sick of the idiots running this company. This is going to be complete mess and I will enjoy watching the fall out from it. Fast Fun and Friendly? Wait till you have a store full of half asleep team members pissed off they got screwed out of enjoying Thanksgiving. Screw you HQ.
oh please... stop being a drama queen

you work in retail, and you didn't think there would be crazy holiday hours??? get real.

So much for seeing my family this Thanksgiving. I haven't seen them in a couple of years, and they said they might actually come down to see me this Thanksgiving. I knew, that due to working on Black Friday, and probably the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, that I wouldn't be able to see them much. With opening at midnight on Friday, and closing on Wednesday, I'm not gonna spend anytime with my wife and kids, much less have time to see my folks. All well. Guess I'll call and tell them not to bother.

you work in retail, and you didn't think there would be crazy holiday hours??? get real.

This.

If you work in retail, dont expect to get good holiday hours, it just doesnt work that way. If you want to change it, go to college, get a degree, and get out of the retail environment. Simple as that. If you dont like it quit, im sure someone else will be happy to work those hours.

How much time have you spent planning for 4th quarter staffing and planning for Black Friday now to find out that it was all that it was a complete waste of time and that HQ has been lying to you? It has nothing to with the hours genius it has to do with Target lying to its store leadership and then letting the public know before they tell the store teams. Its even more fun knowing we can not make TMs work at Midnight and have to ask them to open availability so we can schedule them, I am sure they will all just love agreeing to that, so I am sure we will have lie and imply they have to because HQ lied to us so why not spread they love right? Hey but screw the team members anyway they work in retail they do not deserve to enjoy Thanksgiving. Then again its people like you who make lying to TMs all to easy.

Imerzan is knowledgeable, but the cow towing to Target brass at every turn is a bit much...crazy holiday hours are the order of the day, yes, but corporate totally duped store management here and the public was more prepared for this than the store teams were.

WOW, well I wouldn't have known this if I didn't stay a little later on my shift than expected when they were having the huddle. To be quite frank, this is complete and total b.s. (and no I don't mean backstock). Yes I understand very well that Target is a consumer company and profits must sore and thus to them their strategy seemed very plausible to compete with other markets when deciding at the "last minute" to have Target open up at Midnight on Thanksgiving. Okay that is all well and dandy, but how about this, having some compassion, some common courtesy, understanding for what matters during the holidays, have a heart. Oh that's right Target and Gregg the CEO don't have one. It's too much buried down in the gluttony and greed of money. While I am thankful for the hours I do get at my job, I still thank this was a dumb@$$ move to say the least.

How about this Corporate, let's take your holiday away from you and see the tables turned.

Imagine if we had a system failure on BF like we did a couple weeks ago....
Icing on a very bad cake.

I just haven't seen that many asterisks in a long time...loved it.

Glad I could help out then, lol. :)

I mean, I loved working at the Winn Dixie I was at before my Super I'm employed at now. Hell, half the people I got along with well at said Winn Dixie *still* work there. For reasons beyond me. If I had gotten the hours that I requested from the store manager, despite asking other department heads for training, I would honestly still be working for said store.

This really blows. I guess I will not be getting any sleep if I say work at 1 am and work til say 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back