MEGATHREAD Target Talk (Definitions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
EXception Fill. Basically, a way of dropping a pull batch for items that you specifically need, in specific quantities.

What about CAF?

If I remember correctly, it stands for Computer-initiated AutoFill. It's when the system automatically drops a batch for the backroom to pull in order to replenish merchandise throughout the day based on sales.

Also, could someone please explain what a POG fill is and how it works? I was helping the GSTL set an endcap at the lanes this morning, and she mentioned doing a POG fill because we didn't have all the right merchandise for it.

Pog fill is to fill dpci's products tied to an endcap. If there is no product in br, nothing comes up in the gun to be pulled. Steal it from home location, that is where most the product is pushed to. Depending on the ending date of pog, do a ptm/mpg. Which is flexing. Another is you can do an exf, to fill it.

Last edited:
Pog fill is to fill dpci's products tied to an endcap. If there is no product in br, nothing comes up in the gun to be pulled. Steal it from home location, that is where most the product is pushed to. Depending on the ending date of pog, do a ptm/mpg. Which is flexing. Another is you can do an exf, to fill it.

Just to show what Target talk truly is... a simple task that we explain using 6 abbreviations and target specific terms, not that it bothers me. I just noticed how this would look to a newbie, yikes! It must sound like gibberish!

Abbreviations: POG, DPCI, BR, PTM, MPG, EXF.

Terms: pulled, home loc, push, flexing

So a POG fill basically just pulls however much product is needed to fill the endcap to capacity (assuming there's enough in the backroom to do so), right?

Just to show what Target talk truly is... a simple task that we explain using 6 abbreviations and target specific terms, not that it bothers me. I just noticed how this would look to a newbie, yikes! It must sound like gibberish!

Abbreviations: POG, DPCI, BR, PTM, MPG, EXF.

Terms: pulled, home loc, push, flexing
Stupid me! This part should be in I'm lost forum.
It is in the training guide too!

Oh ok. How do I fond out what my store is? And thanks for the info
you log unto workbench then store reports, scroll down and click on store facts sheet...once you click on that you should see your store volume, demographics, distance between nearest competetor, ETL titles and names, bunch of info about store

So a POG fill basically just pulls however much product is needed to fill the endcap to capacity (assuming there's enough in the backroom to do so), right?

Yes, and technically, when you are setting a new planogram or salesplanner (endcap), you should always use the "New POG Fill" option. We honestly never use "POG Fill" for an existing salesplanner. There are other ways for it to get filled. But yes, New POG Fill creates a batch for every item on that POG or SPL that is currently located in the backroom, and requests it to capacity (in a perfect world, the amount pulled will fit perfectly on the endcap...but it never happens that way).

Yes, and technically, when you are setting a new planogram or salesplanner (endcap), you should always use the "New POG Fill" option. We honestly never use "POG Fill" for an existing salesplanner. There are other ways for it to get filled. But yes, New POG Fill creates a batch for every item on that POG or SPL that is currently located in the backroom, and requests it to capacity (in a perfect world, the amount pulled will fit perfectly on the endcap...but it never happens that way).

Yeah, I think she did "New POG Fill" because it was a new salesplanner. I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting HLM's response correctly.

Thanks, you guys are great! It seems there's never a day I don't learn something new.

Here's one for you, a term coined by an ETL long ago at our store:
"clopening"
clo·pen·ing
[kloh-pen-ing]
verb
The process of working a closing shift one night for an employer, then working opening early shift the next day for same said employer, normally with less than 8 hours between shifts.
"What shift are you working this week? Oh I'm clopening tonight and the day after that."
See also clopen

"clopening"
clo·pen·ing
[kloh-pen-ing]
verb
The process of working a closing shift one night for an employer, then working opening early shift the next day for same said employer, normally with less than 8 hours between shifts.
"What shift are you working this week? Oh I'm clopening tonight and the day after that."
See also clopen

We actually have/used to have a forum member who went by the name "Constantly Clopening." I think said forum member may left Target for a job elsewhere, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm probably a bit of a jerk for pointing this out but technically POG Fills and New POG Fills function a bit differently than that...

A POG Fill is a fill for a POG just like you think EXCEPT it doesn't just pull to fill the capacity... It has a trigger % just like the CAFs or Autofills but at a higher % than them (so it pulls more than the CAFs, but not to fill 100%)... This is why sometimes POG Fills don't pull anything when you know its located in the backroom! If you have an endcap that fits 50 of something and the home fits 20, and you do a POG Fill for the home POG but the endcap is full, it won't pull anything because the endcap is keeping it from triggering in that particular fill!

Now a New POG Fill is EXACTLY like a POG Fill but the only difference is the *NEW* product pulls to capacity (ignoring triggers) and the carry forward product triggers just like it would in a POG Fill! Most people don't realize this and get confused as to why some product doesn't pull in a New POG Fill, but its because if the product is carry forward, it is waiting for it to trigger!

This plays a huge role in the logistics process actually! Look at an area like domestics when it goes MPG... If you get freight off the truck that triggers as push for domestics, and the flow team pushes it like normal (backstocking that push because it is "full" and not flexing) then the accumulator is off! It thinks all that product went to the floor and now it is in the backroom (also the reason PTM pulls shouldn't have backstock)... Now when plano resets that area, and drops New POG Fills, it will pull all new product, but look at triggers for the carry forward stuff! If your flow team didn't flex for 4+ weeks worth of trucks, that is alot of product with skewed accumulator values that won't pull! This is actually why most stores have bad outs with locs % when it comes to stuff plano just reset (with no fault to the actual plano teams)

Last edited:
"clopening"
clo·pen·ing
[kloh-pen-ing]
verb
See also clopen

At my store we usually call that giving somebody the "turn-around" (you go home, and turn around to come back a few hours later). I like that term a lot better, though.

I'm probably a bit of a jerk for pointing this out but technically POG Fills and New POG Fills function a bit differently than that...

A POG Fill is a fill for a POG just like you think EXCEPT it doesn't just pull to fill the capacity... It has a trigger % just like the CAFs or Autofills but at a higher % than them (so it pulls more than the CAFs, but not to fill 100%)... This is why sometimes POG Fills don't pull anything when you know its located in the backroom! If you have an endcap that fits 50 of something and the home fits 20, and you do a POG Fill for the home POG but the endcap is full, it won't pull anything because the endcap is keeping it from triggering in that particular fill!

Now a New POG Fill is EXACTLY like a POG Fill but the only difference is the *NEW* product pulls to capacity (ignoring triggers) and the carry forward product triggers just like it would in a POG Fill! Most people don't realize this and get confused as to why some product doesn't pull in a New POG Fill, but its because if the product is carry forward, it is waiting for it to trigger!

This plays a huge role in the logistics process actually! Look at an area like domestics when it goes MPG... If you get freight off the truck that triggers as push for domestics, and the flow team pushes it like normal (backstocking that push because it is "full" and not flexing) then the accumulator is off! It thinks all that product went to the floor and now it is in the backroom (also the reason PTM pulls shouldn't have backstock)... Now when plano resets that area, and drops New POG Fills, it will pull all new product, but look at triggers for the carry forward stuff! If your flow team didn't flex for 4+ weeks worth of trucks, that is alot of product with skewed accumulator values that won't pull! This is actually why most stores have bad outs with locs % when it comes to stuff plano just reset (with no fault to the actual plano teams)

That's actually fascinating and I'm willing to bet that not ONE person in my store knows that. Did you find that out on like Eureka? Or just something learned through experience? Do POG fills have a real-world ideal use situation? Is it just to fill out a light-looking SPL or inline where an OUTS/EXF would be inefficient?

That's actually fascinating and I'm willing to bet that not ONE person in my store knows that. Did you find that out on like Eureka? Or just something learned through experience? Do POG fills have a real-world ideal use situation? Is it just to fill out a light-looking SPL or inline where an OUTS/EXF would be inefficient?

I pull my information from all over... Eureka is hard to find stuff on so a majority of this info comes from our GOL and my own experience... The real point of a POG Fill would be much like a Manual CAF really... a POG Fill though would allow you to be more precise (making pulls by POG) instead of by fill group with a Manual CAF... If your accumulator is off, neither of these fills are technically designed to fix it and would suffer from the same mistake the made the endcap/inline empty in the first place probably! I would say their main purpose is to fill specific POGs outside of the CAFs and Autofills... I am thinking as an example, say your detergent just got blasted from 6PM to 7PM and you want to fill it back up since your store is open for another 4 hours, there are no more CAFs dropping and you want to get more sales for chemicals tonight, but dropping a Manual CAF would drop ALL of chemicals (which isn't necessary at this time)... dropping a POG Fill to fill the aisle back up would then be your best option!

I think rock wrote the training guides for instocks, ptm/mpg & exf's for workbench. I was reading up on it the other day. Very easy to understand. He has been the logistics king of bp for years. I would love to have him for my boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back