MEGATHREAD Target Talk (Definitions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few shifts like this one being this week... I always tell my ETL-GE that I don't mind but I don't want to be the only one doing so. There are 2 GSA's (including me) and one GSTL and our of them two I am the only one with open availability, I don't see it fare that I close then open. I remember one time that we had a situation where our power went completely out while I was banking the checklanes once the store closed and it reset all the registers and my ETL-GE was the closing LOD and she wasn't able to set the alarm for receiving and seeing as how it was only her, I and the closing TPS...None of us could leave until it was taken care of. I called out help desk to see if I had to perhaps close all the checklanes or only the ones on my slip. Thankfully it was only the ones on the slip except that because all the registers rebooted, I had to pop open each and every one from under the drawer just to put the new bundle in. I hate doing that. Sucky thing is I had to open the txt day, 7am bright and early. ugh loll I sometimes don't mind because of school I am used to going to bed late and waking up early but other times I am just like... ughhhh eff mi lifeee loll jk

Here's one for you, a term coined by an ETL long ago at our store:
"clopening"
clo·pen·ing
[kloh-pen-ing]
verb
The process of working a closing shift one night for an employer, then working opening early shift the next day for same said employer, normally with less than 8 hours between shifts.
"What shift are you working this week? Oh I'm clopening tonight and the day after that."
See also clopen

I think rock wrote the training guides for instocks, ptm/mpg & exf's for workbench. I was reading up on it the other day. Very easy to understand. He has been the logistics king of bp for years. I would love to have him for my boss.

If only Target would pay me for my ideas and guides... boy would they be better off :)

I try and focus on the operational aspects of stores because A) not many people REALLY understand what is going on with it and B) Its what I find the most interesting! I get tired of the politics, the "communicating effectively" and "managing talent" aspects of the job! Its nice to focus on the nitty gritty aspects of the store that keep it running!

Can anyone tell me what a CTL does? My store doesn't use this role. I've never heard of it outside of this website.

Can anyone tell me what a CTL does? My store doesn't use this role. I've never heard of it outside of this website.

A CTL is a Consumables Team Lead. I'm not sure about SuperTargets, but in P-Fresh stores, the CTL oversees market and is in charge of all the P-Fresh processes while the Hardlines TLs tend to focus more on general merchandise.

Thanks! All I could come up with on my own was something like "Central" Team Lead? but that didn't make sense. And I work at a SuperTarget so I guess that's why we don't have one.

You still have a CTL... you guys just might call it "Grocery TL" but the official title in every store is CTL, even in Super T's...

Why is Women's called Ready to Wear?

Ready-To-Wear - Definition: Clothing that is mass produced in standardized sizes and sold at retail stores in a finished condition is called "ready-to-wear" clothing. These clothes are intended to be worn without needing any significant alterations by the end-user. Ready-to-wear clothing is in contrast to clothing that is made-to-order, custom designed, individually fitted or one-of-a-kind, which is sometimes referred to as haute couture.

A very old retail term that needs to be "termed".

I agree. :D The definition makes sense but it doesn't explain why it's only applied to women's clothing.

Because, historically, men's clothing is assumed to be "bespoke" (custom, or tailored). Even worse, many department stores would charge women for alterations to clothing, but generally would throw it in for free for men, on the excuse that men's clothing is "easier" to alter, there are less degrees of freedom in men's clothing sizing (usually just chest, neck, sleeve, and inseam, whereas women's clothing sizing also takes into account hips and bust, as well as variable hem length for skirts and dresses), and the sexist assumption that women mostly make or alter their own clothes. This started to get into a very serious legal dust-up in the 70's and 80's when women started to wear "career" or "business" clothes similer to men's suits, and men's clothing, unlike most women's clothing, started more commonly being carried in exact sleeve and inseam lengths. Here's an example of a resulting lawsuit from the 80's:

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-09/local/me-226_1_clothing-alteration

The Weekly Invasion - If your store is anywhere near Canada, you'll understand.

I have to ask, because I used to live in Buffalo, what is this? Never heard of it before.

It happens every Saturday when every Canadian and their mother comes over the border to shop. I thought you might already be familiar with it since you used to live in Buffalo. It doesn't only happen at Target, but every store.

Being relatively new to the sales floor, I'm still trying to figure out the whole PTM thing. What does it mean if an item's status is Active-NCF?

i think it stands for active- not carry forward, but i could be wrong.

Being relatively new to the sales floor, I'm still trying to figure out the whole PTM thing. What does it mean if an item's status is Active-NCF?

i think it stands for active- not carry forward, but i could be wrong.

This is correct. You know, call me dumb but I don't know why some items are Discontinued-NCF and others are Active-NCF. Does active stuff come back around for the next season, or is it more like Active means it's not on any current markdown program? Don't all NCF items hit clearance status eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back