MEGATHREAD Target Talk (Definitions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at Target for a while and I'm embarrassed to ask this, but what is a CTL?

Edit: Nevermind I skipped the page that talks about it

Last edited:
Something commonplace seems to be missing from this topic: What exactly does DPCI stand for? A quick google search says DePartment/Class/Item number. Is this correct?

Fixture question:

What is the name for the front part of a shelf or basedeck where the label strip holder snaps in?

I didn't think it had a name.

That would have been my guess but it seemed too simple :)

I read it earlier in this topic. What does it mean if an aisle is MPG.

MPG = Merchandise Presentation Guides

It means that the aisle will be resetting soon (within 6 weeks) and is no longer strictly to planogram. The goal for MPG POGs is to push all discontinued merchandise for that POG to the floor. These are the items that will be put on markdown soon and Target's goal is to sell it before it takes a markdown. This usually involves flexing around product, moving shelves and pegs, spreading out facings...basically anything you can do to make the POG look full and impactful before it transitions. After all the DCODE is out then it's time to move to pushing out regular merch too. Keep the aisle looking full as best you can. The PTM task list and Stand-Alone PTM are how you drop these pulls.

MPG and PTM go hand in hand. PTM = Pre-Transition Merchandising. It's the same idea. Really I think PTM replaced MPG a few years back, but the header labels still print as MPG. I like to think of it as MPG is the status of a pog where you utilize PTM strategies. I try to think the company has a reason to have both abbreviations, but I'm pretty sure the software just isn't updated to print header labels with PTM instead of MPG. They're used interchangeably. For example, PTM Task List and MPG Aisle Report.

Oh, and no backstocking. This messes up the accumulator. Make it all fit! (In reality, you probably will have to backstock stuff at some point, but staying on top of MPG aisles helps you keep pushing product out of the backroom.)

And it's not too well known, but you can drop a stand alone PTM for a non-MPG aisle. This will help you get all of the DCODE out before the aisle even goes MPG. Your instocks team and backroom teams will appreciate it. Just make sure you have actual space to flex the discontinued stuff because on a non-MPG aisle you're not supposed to flex. But you can flex over flipped labels and discontinued products.

Last edited:
Really stupid question, because I feel like I've been going the extra inch for quite a while ... for no particular reason.

What is the difference between zoning (regularly), MPG zoning (moving up, flexing out, removing empty pegs), and super zoning (no-idea what this actually means)?

Zoning is pulling out foreign and covering the holes (front facing the aisle). MPG (see above). Super zoning is actually zoning. Pulling all product forward, pulling pegs forward, facing all labels the same way, fixing overstock issues. Basically super zoning is zoning and zoning is half-assing it, but that's really all we're given time to do most days.

I only super zone too because in my book that's the only kind of zoning there should be. It takes a little longer but it holds up much better most days. It's kind of sickening to think that the standards are so low now that the old standard for zoning is now defined as being way extra ("super") work that seems impossible to achieve. In all honesty if the sales floor teams would superzone and flow team would fill to capacity, I'd say > 75% of the everyday problems at a typical store would disappear. Get the back room to finish back stock and everything would go so much smoother the rest of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back