Archived Team leader to ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BS in psychology and I'm still working as a min. wage slave here two years after graduation. I honestly don't know what's keeping me from a better job and it's very worrisome to me. Maybe low self esteem. I know I have much much much much more potential than I think but I am overwhelmed by the real world. I don't even know where to start. I'm living away from my parents (with their help... could definitely not live away on Target TM wage) and even though I am enjoying life, I would like to splurge, spoil by bf the way he spoils me, eat out and not worry about paying my bills. I honestly have a roadblock that is keeping me from doing what I want to do and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I know the abundant resources out there to get a job. Maybe I'm overwhelmed at all the options out there.

*sigh...

I get my BS in Psych next year - the possibilities are endless! If you're interested in staying with Spot, Psychology could even lead to an ETL-HR position. If you wanna leave Spot I'm sure you can find something, there is a lot out there

I have a BS in psychology and I'm still working as a min. wage slave here two years after graduation. I honestly don't know what's keeping me from a better job and it's very worrisome to me. Maybe low self esteem. I know I have much much much much more potential than I think but I am overwhelmed by the real world. I don't even know where to start. I'm living away from my parents (with their help... could definitely not live away on Target TM wage) and even though I am enjoying life, I would like to splurge, spoil by bf the way he spoils me, eat out and not worry about paying my bills. I honestly have a roadblock that is keeping me from doing what I want to do and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I know the abundant resources out there to get a job. Maybe I'm overwhelmed at all the options out there.

*sigh...

Hang in there, Dan. You'll find something that works for you. Sometimes you gotta get creative.

*sigh...

Main thing is to start applying for jobs that need a degree. Even if it takes a while - and even in a bad economy - eventually someone is going to call you.

Just remember this - every year after you graduate that you don't get a job that requires a degree is going to make it that much harder to get such a job.

*sigh...

maybe find out if you store has any hr team member openings? it could be a little bit closer to what you want to do in dealing with people more than product?

Dude, I am not judging anyone on their degree!!! Read the whole thread.

He volunteered the information that he had a degree! I never even brought it up!

Then I asked him why he wanted to stay at Target as a TM with a degree, and he ***asked me!!!*** to find him some job listings that he could apply for saying he would gladly do so.

Then, per his request, I asked him what his degree was in so I could find out if there was anything available he might not be aware of.

Then all of a sudden he comes up with the BS that he can't say what his degree is in because it will tell me where he lives. (WTF? Knowing he has a degree in biology, for example, will tell me where he lives? Basically this tell me he doesn't have a degree because knowing what his degree is in has nothing to do with where he lives)

Now I am the one that is in the wrong?

You're being a tad judgmental now. I will start by saying I DO NOT have a degree, but the degree I started going to school is offered at 4 colleges in the country. I wouldn't state it on here either. Not necessarily for fear someone would track me down, but for fear someone I work with would read it and recognize me, as it is very well known what I went to school for. Most people here do want to keep their anonymity. They can do it in whatever way they are comfortable with.

I will also second what many people are saying with several TLs and TMs having a degree at my store (I'd say 1/2 the TLs and maybe 5-10 TMs) My area was hit hard by the fall of the economy and we haven't recovered in the slightest. Sometimes a job like Target has to be settled for in the meantime.

You're being a tad judgmental now. I will start by saying I DO NOT have a degree, but the degree I started going to school is offered at 4 colleges in the country. I wouldn't state it on here either. Not necessarily for fear someone would track me down, but for fear someone I work with would read it and recognize me, as it is very well known what I went to school for. Most people here do want to keep their anonymity. They can do it in whatever way they are comfortable with.

I will also second what many people are saying with several TLs and TMs having a degree at my store (I'd say 1/2 the TLs and maybe 5-10 TMs) My area was hit hard by the fall of the economy and we haven't recovered in the slightest. Sometimes a job like Target has to be settled for in the meantime.

I am just saying I don't believe every TM I have heard that claims to have a degree. I worked at Target for many years *before* the recession (when it was damn easy to find a job even if you didn't have a degree), and if I had a dime for every TM who told me "I have a degree, but just love working for $6/hour despite the fact I could easily be making 50K" I would be filthy rich right now.

Maybe it's simply because (as a TL who constantly participated in the hiring process) I actually paid attention to the applications of the people I was interviewing. I can tell you right now I interviewed more people than I can count who put on their application that they were either high school drop outs, had only a GED, or HS diploma and later on I heard them claim to have a degree while talking to other TMs. Of course, due to confidentiality I could never tell anyone they were full of it.... but by the 20th or so time it happened I figured out pretty fast most TMs "with a degree" were BSing.

I see it as being in jail. In jail, 90% of the people you talk to will swear to god they are completely innocent. To me it is the same thing as working for $6/hour and claiming to have a degree. Chances are if you are in jail you are probably not as innocent as you claim to be.... Likewise, chances are if you are working for $6/hour the past 10 years and claim to have a degree.... well, something isn't right with that picture. Sometimes if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

FYI - the *only* TMs I believed who said they had a degree were the ones who claimed to be in college, after a few months/years announced to everyone in the store that they had graduated, and either promoted to ETL or had a new job a few weeks later. *Those* TMs have a degree. The ones who claim to have a degree, yet are still making $9/hour 5 years later? Yea.... not so much.

Hell, back around 2005 I remember we had a TM who claimed to be in medical school, yet had open availability and worked close to 40 hours a week. (I am not kidding you, medical school to be a doctor) Medical school, but working at Target with open availability almost 40 hours a week. She was big news, because even the naive and trusting people knew she was full of it.

Last edited:
Dude, I am not judging anyone on their degree!!! Read the whole thread.

Just read everything.

You're not judging anyone on their degree, you're calling them a liar. Much better. Demonstrate some accountability (as a TL you should get the reference) and admit that you don't know every bachelor's degree that is offered at every university in the country. And, if it feels that everyone is against you -- that's usually a good indicator that you're in the wrong. This is a place for people to ask questions and get answers. The OP didn't come here wanting to know why becoming an ETL is much worse than other positions that require a bachelor's degree.

Mods, this thread should probably be closed or deleted, I think the OP was scared off. ;-)

[Just noticed the OP's name, great minds...]

Just tossing this out there.... some times people have a degree that is completely useless to them. It's in a field that they don't want to be in anymore, or has become glutted with too many people. I have an associate's degree in Accounting. I realized shortly after I graduated, I hate sitting behind a desk, hence it's an associates and not a bachelor's. I also earned that degree more than 20 years ago. So why I am a lowly tm at Spot? Life intervened. When I was young, I wanted different things, but life events occurred and changed my path to a point where I could comfortably stay at home. Then more things happened and I had to change my path again... voila I'm a tm. What I'm saying is some times you have to look beyond the piece of paper, whether it's an application, resume or degree.
And yes, I agree people dumb down their resumes and applications to get a job, any job. It's their responsibility to remember what they said and not go running their mouths.

can not remember the last time we had an internal promotion,years ago,we do have three new etls in our store over the last few months,hard to believe they have degrees,they do not look old enough to be out of high school,in each case it is their first job.

There is no bachelors degree that is so specific that you could be tracked down because of stating it.

Sorry all, I work multiple jobs and it has been one of those weeks. Nater, my degrees is very specific. Everyone in my store and our store partners in my district all know what it is. With the popularity of this forum, I would probably get a phone call about it today. SOT, I appreciate the discussion and I'm sorry that your judgement of me is incorrect. No hard feelings!! Now where did this thread start?!?!?!?!

There is no bachelors degree that is so specific that you could be tracked down because of stating it.

i think there are several that would severely limit the guessing game when trying to identify someone. forensic psychology. avionic engineering. enigmatology. it seems to me that the biggest problem with posts in this thread is that everyone is thinking/speaking in absolutes.

you absolutely CAN become an etl from a tl. it HAS happened and will continue to happen WITH and WITHOUT a degree. to the op, just seek out a mentor, stay positive, see what the leadership team needs from you, captain and learn all you can. if it doesn't happen within a couple of years, pack up and take what you've learned to a company that more closely fits your abilities.
Every store is also different. My store has 11 TL, not including ap. 7 of them have degrees. For whatever reason, they're still at target. But the big difference is, they don't ***** about being at target, and don't say that people without degrees are worthless or less deserving. the two best tl in our building do not have degrees, but lots of experience. they have been asked to promote, and both turned it down due to their family and they don't drink the koolaid. EVERY situation is different. NOW can we PLEASE stop turning any etl/tl/promotion discussion into a battle of degree vs. non-degree and try to help out the op? it's not a contest and no one has anything to prove about their degree or lack of.

Just tossing this out there.... some times people have a degree that is completely useless to them. It's in a field that they don't want to be in anymore, or has become glutted with too many people. I have an associate's degree in Accounting. I realized shortly after I graduated, I hate sitting behind a desk, hence it's an associates and not a bachelor's. I also earned that degree more than 20 years ago. So why I am a lowly tm at Spot? Life intervened. When I was young, I wanted different things, but life events occurred and changed my path to a point where I could comfortably stay at home. Then more things happened and I had to change my path again... voila I'm a tm. What I'm saying is some times you have to look beyond the piece of paper, whether it's an application, resume or degree.
And yes, I agree people dumb down their resumes and applications to get a job, any job. It's their responsibility to remember what they said and not go running their mouths.

I hate to tell you this, but there is no such thing as a worthless degree.... even at the associates level. I used to think my associates was worthless. (it is in general studies from a community college.... can't get much more worthless than that)

Guess what? One day our playstation rep (who I had known for years) visited our store. We started to BS like usual, and he mentioned to me he was vacating his position. I made some comment like "Damn, wish I could fill your spot!" next thing I know he is getting my phone number to give to his manager.

Next thing I know I am getting a call from his manager telling me I was "strongly recommended" by his "best rep", and wanted to interview me.

I come to interview with him and guess what he tells me? "Honestly, your retail experience being all over a retail store and in supervisory roles is awesome. I don't get many people like this, but I know working at Target you probably don't have a degree, and I'm afraid we require at least an associates for this job. If you would have had that, I could hire you right away." Oh sh**! I tell him I have an AA degree! He tells me to bring him my official transcript and the job would be mine. I got my ass to my college and got that transcript the same day. Later that day, I was offered a job as a playstation rep and filling out a voluntary termination form at work.

Guess my degree wasn't so worthless after all, was it? (FYI - my job is awesome)

My point is this - just because you have a degree in sociology doesn't mean you have to work as a sociologist. *Most* employers just care that you have the degree. (with few exceptions such as medical/tech jobs) Did SCEA care that my degree was general studies? Did I have to have a computer networking degree or something? Nope. Just an associates degree is all they cared about.

SO I am sorry - no, I don't believe someone who says "there are no jobs in my field" - because I know from my own experience that doesn't matter. If you have a degree, you can get a job that just requires a degree. 99% of the time they really don't care what it is in as long as you have it.

Sweet dude! I'll tell you my 4 year degree and you find me the job that makes 5 times my current pay. I'm all over that!!!! Tell me when your ready. I had no clue it was that easy!!!!!! I'll tell the wife to start packing, we're moving into a NEW house.

This made me laugh! I'm in the same boat. I started at Target as a teenager, then worked full-time while in college. I have worked in pretty much every area of the store and am still just a TL. I got my "real" 4-year degree a few years ago and what do you know...no one was hiring, except for other retailers. And, I was and am still actively looking. The area I live in has a lot of great jobs, but they are all being taken by people who are NOT recent college graduates, but by those who were laid off elsewhere and are over qualified. So, in order to get that "really great job that pays 5 times more" I need experience...and to get experience you need an entry level job.

So, now I'm a TL at Target (still) and am working on my (real) Masters and will try to remember that maybe, just maybe with that I could make TEN times more than my current pay....yeah, if only it were that easy.

I think some people don't realize that some of us who have been successful at Target make a great deal more than we will if we have to start out at the bottom at another company, and when you throw mortages, rent, student loans, and everything else in there, it's tough to take that steep of a pay cut to end up eventually making 5 times more.

This made me laugh! I'm in the same boat. I started at Target as a teenager, then worked full-time while in college. I have worked in pretty much every area of the store and am still just a TL. I got my "real" 4-year degree a few years ago and what do you know...no one was hiring, except for other retailers. And, I was and am still actively looking. The area I live in has a lot of great jobs, but they are all being taken by people who are NOT recent college graduates, but by those who were laid off elsewhere and are over qualified. So, in order to get that "really great job that pays 5 times more" I need experience...and to get experience you need an entry level job.

So, now I'm a TL at Target (still) and am working on my (real) Masters and will try to remember that maybe, just maybe with that I could make TEN times more than my current pay....yeah, if only it were that easy.

I think some people don't realize that some of us who have been successful at Target make a great deal more than we will if we have to start out at the bottom at another company, and when you throw mortages, rent, student loans, and everything else in there, it's tough to take that steep of a pay cut to end up eventually making 5 times more.

Have you applied for ETL positions? I don't mean "talking to your ETL", I mean straight up applying on the Target.com salaried careers page and just bypassing them?

There was a TL I worked with for about 5 years who had a 4 year degree and was stuck at TL. For some reason, he kept asking ETLs about getting hired as an ETL and they kept BSing him with "oh you need more experience" etc.

One day he just straight up went to Target.com and applied for ETL without even telling anyone in the store. A few weeks later he was called by a district HR person and he was hired as an ETL just like that.

I think your best bet is to do like he did - just go to Target.com and straight up apply for an ETL posting. At that point, it is handled at the district level, not the store level..... in other words, other ETLs have zero say on it.

Yeah, ETLs are pretty useless. Most ETLs who could actually help you develop will get a promotion within 2 years and the others are .. well .. terrible. Depending on your STL, that is another way to start your path to an ETL. There is also the new Talent Profile that every leader has to complete, supposedly this is to help with internal promotion. So many paths that all lead to an easier job with more pay. ;-)

Have you applied for ETL positions? I don't mean "talking to your ETL", I mean straight up applying on the Target.com salaried careers page and just bypassing them?

There was a TL I worked with for about 5 years who had a 4 year degree and was stuck at TL. For some reason, he kept asking ETLs about getting hired as an ETL and they kept BSing him with "oh you need more experience" etc.

One day he just straight up went to Target.com and applied for ETL without even telling anyone in the store. A few weeks later he was called by a district HR person and he was hired as an ETL just like that.

I think your best bet is to do like he did - just go to Target.com and straight up apply for an ETL posting. At that point, it is handled at the district level, not the store level..... in other words, other ETLs have zero say on it.

I will definitely look into it, but I have a feeling that my DTL will not like me going above the STL. She was even the one that wanted me to go to interviews, yet barely speaks to me or any other TL when she pops into the store. She has been in the same position so long that I think she sees things only the way she wants to, and it would be much better if she were replaced. There are many TLs that I think would be promoted in an instant if we had another DTL.

Thank you for putting that thought into my head. I am going to check it out and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is that I am still where I am now, right?

I will definitely look into it, but I have a feeling that my DTL will not like me going above the STL. She was even the one that wanted me to go to interviews, yet barely speaks to me or any other TL when she pops into the store. She has been in the same position so long that I think she sees things only the way she wants to, and it would be much better if she were replaced. There are many TLs that I think would be promoted in an instant if we had another DTL.

Thank you for putting that thought into my head. I am going to check it out and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is that I am still where I am now, right?

Technically it is not going over anyones head. All you are doing is exactly what every ETL in the building did - apply for an ETL spot on the salaried careers page. That is how 99% of people apply for an ETL job. There is no rule anywhere that says a TM/TL can't go to the salaried careers page and apply for an ETL job like every other ETL did.

It is nuts that ETLs are making 50K with less experience than you.... yet you have a degree also and have tons of Target experience on top of them. Basically you are getting played for a sucker if you don't apply for it.

And guess what? If they have a problem with it that means they never really supported you becoming an ETL to begin with and then you will know where they really stand. Worst case scenario is that you don't get the job, and then you will know it is time to evaluate your options as far as other careers....

degree

Looked up last week the newest AE12 about Etl core roles and requirements in workbench....you dont have to have a BA anymore to qualify just college degree and some supervisor experience!

Looked up last week the newest AE12 about Etl core roles and requirements in workbench....you dont have to have a BA anymore to qualify just college degree and some supervisor experience!

Lol a BA is a college degree, and they have always listed supervisor experience.

What you said is equal to saying "You don't need cash to buy gas anymore!! Just money!"

BA

You are right that a BA is a college degree but as far as I know you can get an associate degree from a college wich is a degree but to get a BA you need to go to a university. All I wanted to say was now you dont need a BA to be an ETL:)

You are right that a BA is a college degree but as far as I know you can get an associate degree from a college wich is a degree but to get a BA you need to go to a university. All I wanted to say was now you dont need a BA to be an ETL:)

<sigh> You are mincing words. They changed it to "college degree" because there are other types of degrees (4 years) than a BA. There are BS, BBA, etc. All are four year degrees. There are also many types of advanced degrees (six year) like masters degrees. They are just making sure to include all of them.

If you go to target.com and check the salaried career page they clearly specify that when they say "college degree" it means 4 year+ degree for ETL job requirements.

No reason to be so condescending. He simply interpreted it to mean that lower level college degrees now sufficed. Apparently that isn't the case, woopee doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back