Archived team leaders and avability questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in becoming a team leader after this semester is over, but the problem is that I'm a college student and I was wondering what the availability standards for team leaders is? Could I still become a team leader with two or even three days of closed availability? I want to become a soft lines team leader if it matters. also my store has no open soft lines team leader positions will I have to transfer? I've been working at Target for almost nine months is that enough experience to become a team leader? Sorry for the crazy amount of questions!

You pretty much need open availability to be a TL at Target. You might get away with having one day during the week that's unavailable but other than that I doubt they would consider you.

All of our TLs rotate weekends so they have a set day off during the week and that's it.

It also depends on what your store's leadership team is made up of. If your workcenter (Softlines, in your case) has a few open availability TL's then they might be more lenient with your availability. I would say that unless you manage to work out a situation with your leadership where you take all of your classes on one or two days and work the remaining 5, I think working as a TL with a full course load would be very difficult. That is unless you are taking online classes, of course.

First thing you have to do is tell them you are interested in being developed. They will work with you on that, give you more responsibility, etc. When they feel you are ready, they will put you to interviews. If you pass, you will be put on the bench and when TL positions come up at yours or nearby stores, you will be considered for it.

If you are in an area with other stores nearby, there is no guarantee you will stay at your store. There is also no guarantee you will get soft lines TL. It depends on what positions are open and what the needs of the store are. They aren't likely to consider you if you tell them you will only consider one dept. They need people who are flexible and willing to lead any team. So when a position comes up they want to give you, you may be able to turn it down once. But twice would be the kiss of death.

I would like to move up with the company, but after reading you guys responses I think a leadership role wouldn't be the best for me right now

There are absolutely cases where a TL can only be available 4 days a week, and def 5 days a week. Just depends on how flexible or desperate your leadership is.

I work 4 days almost every week.

I would like to move up with the company, but after reading you guys responses I think a leadership role wouldn't be the best for me right now
I became a TL while still in school full time. Worst decision I ever made. What I would do is let your leadership know your interested. At which point they'll probably help train you.

I worked full time and went to school full time. I arranged my classes so that there was only one day I didn't have availability and other class days I closed. The store was happy to work with me for the 4 semesters it took me to finish. It was really difficult to do both at the same time, so if you can't devote yourself to only doing this two things (no social life, love life, minimal sleep, no hobbies) then don't do it.

I worked full time and went to school full time. I arranged my classes so that there was only one day I didn't have availability and other class days I closed. The store was happy to work with me for the 4 semesters it took me to finish. It was really difficult to do both at the same time, so if you can't devote yourself to only doing this two things (no social life, love life, minimal sleep, no hobbies) then don't do it.

Right, people complain about how many hours ETLs work, imagine doing 80 hours of combined school and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back