Archived Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was terminated last week for internal theft. Estimated amount of $60 (all from gift cards the registers prompt on certain item promotions). There was no police involved with my case. I just signed this form and paid the $60 after I admited. My question is, will this appear on my records when I have background check for future jobs? Fortunately, I'm still employed as I had two jobs, and Target wasn't my first job. This was definitely a reality check for me. I'm 18 years old.

Ah. People love to think they're smarter than the system.

If they didn't involve the police, it likely won't show up on any background checks. But the fact that you signed a form saying you did it, they could still turn you on to the police, even if you did already pay them back.

Target will only tell your future employers your start date and end date.
They used to say if you were eligible for for rehire but I don't think they do that anymore.

The point that this is going to count is when you get asked why you left Target.
Because if you lie and the company you work for finds out later you lied then you will be fired even if you aren't stealing now.
If you tell the truth it will hurt but hey, there are felons out there getting jobs so this is surmountable.

Ah. People love to think they're smarter than the system.

If they didn't involve the police, it likely won't show up on any background checks. But the fact that you signed a form saying you did it, they could still turn you on to the police, even if you did already pay them back.
The form was a promissory note. Paid in full right after I admitted..

The form was a promissory note. Paid in full right after I admitted..

Right. Basically to use as evidence against you. Otherwise there's no need to sign a promissory note promising to pay since you paid right away.

It doesn't matter if a shoplifter pays for the merchandise after they take it. Target can and will still prosecute.

You may want to consult with a lawyer.

Right, but why else would they issue a promissory note when he/she paid right away?
It may be like when you pay cash for a vehicle from a dealer. They still fill out finance paperwork but it shows paid in full.

I was terminated last week for internal theft $60 I'm 18 years old.

You have entered the Twilight Zone.

man-in-dunce-cap.jpg

You're 18 and stealing from work? Bruh we've caught people taking a single $5 gift card let alone multiple. I don't know about future employment and not to be rude but you're not smarter than the system smd it will catch up to you.

No $60 accumulated in gift cards over the course of 3 months. I didn't steal any merchandise. The promise note was paid in full. They have a records of what I spent the money on, and (as sad as it may be) it for snacks during my breaks and $15 meal cards for red robin and such. It just accumulated, I didn't use the gift cards to by a mass amount of videos games or something like that. The AP guy said because of how honest and cooperative I was, no charges will be pressed. Just lost my part time job which really wasn't worth losing over snacks and food :(

Well, that's a hard way to learn that stupid little mistakes can build up and really bite you on the ass but I hope you got the message.

You were fired for HR policy not internal theft. The difference is you stole from the guest (Promo gift cards), not Target.

Target won't press charges but technically the guests you stole from can press charges.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh a lot harder than it should have.

But for those of you who want to throw the book at Inkling and watch him/her fry: get of your high horse. Bumming $60 in gift cards at 18 is not what I call a tragic crime. Wrong? Of course. Stupid? Sure. And we've all done stupid things - even dumber than stealing. Some lessons are learned the hard way. People see stories like this and react like the person burned down an orphanage. Yeah, you're all saints, volunteering at soup kitchens twice a week. Please.

You're 18!! Doesn't mean it was OK to steal...but it is a huge wake up call. Take what you've learned, be grateful you don't have a police record and move on. You're not a bad person....just young and testing the waters. Hopefully this event scared you straight. Good luck!

You were fired for HR policy not internal theft. The difference is you stole from the guest (Promo gift cards), not Target.

Target won't press charges but technically the guests you stole from can press charges.
Now, this brings up an interesting point. Target isn't actually out the $60. So why do they get to recoup $60 from the OP?

You're 18!! Doesn't mean it was OK to steal...but it is a huge wake up call. Take what you've learned, be grateful you don't have a police record and move on. You're not a bad person....just young and testing the waters. Hopefully this event scared you straight. Good luck!
Thank you :')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back