Archived Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Target one of the stores that uses a system to enter employee theft into it? The stores enter this in, and then when they hire someone, they can just check that database to see if their name appears. Some retailers participate in this, but I have no idea if Target is one.

This is what I'm talking about. Target has a connection with "The Retail Equation" and particaptes in the reporting system. If he applies somewhere else, and they use it too, they'll notice.

You got caught, learn to accept it. My question is, how would you like someone stealing 60.00 or your car from you?
My bet is, you would be mad about it. Stealing may seem easy now, but it can corrupt you later on, to steal other things or higher $$$.

Your name WILL be in a Retail Crime Database, even though the police were not called. This isn't a police record, but a external system a bunch of retailers contribute to.

How this will effect you, depends on who you apply to. As I know not every retailer participates, but more and more we're when I left.

Ouch. At least it won't affect him/her outside of retail though.

But yeah shoplifting is a good way to make your retail career very short ;)

My sisters boyfriend got fired from target a year ago when a foreign customer on vacation (they were going back to their country the next day) gave him their $5 promotional gift card because they couldn't use outside the US, and he used it with his tm discount card having no clue. A month later after monitoring him for a while AP called him in and grilled him like he was being busted for smuggling drugs it was nuts. This woman tried to coerce him into admitting he stole and writing a false statement and he refused and wrote what really happened and said if she didnt take it he would get a lawyer involved. It pissed her off but she took the paper. He was under his 90 days and he verbally quit before they could fire him (don't know if it counted as quitting or being fired) because he was so disgusted by how he was treated and he called some Target holine number to report the woman for her trying to pressure him into giving false testimony while the guy who watches the cameras just sat there. Target needs to make sure they know what kind of people are working in AP in their stores because obviously most cases are actual theft, but sometimes shady stuff goes on.

Last edited:
My sisters boyfriend got fired from target a year ago when a foreign customer on vacation (they were going back to their country the next day) gave him their $5 promotional gift card because they couldn't use outside the US, and he used it with his tm discount card having no clue. A month later after monitoring him for a while AP called him in and grilled him like he was being busted for smuggling drugs it was nuts. This woman tried to coerce him into admitting he stole and writing a false statement and he refused and wrote what really happened and said if she didnt take it he would get a lawyer involved. It pissed her off but she took the paper. He was under his 90 days and he verbally quit before they could fire him (don't know if it counted as quitting or being fired) because he was so disgusted by how he was treated and he called some Target holine number to report the woman for her trying to pressure him into giving false testimony while the guy who watches the cameras just sat there. Target needs to make sure they know what kind of people are working in AP in their stores because obviously most cases are actual theft, but sometimes shady stuff goes on.
Except that it's against policy to accept money/tips from a guest. He should have turned the gift card over to his team lead immediately.

A guest gave me a gift card to a coffee shop as a thank you. They had brought it in after they had followed my advice, Christmas time, hot toy of the season, they wouldn't take no for an answer. I took it, it was busy Christmas season, told my LOD, showed them the thank you card they told me to enjoy it, I earned it!

A guest gave me a gift card to a coffee shop as a thank you. They had brought it in after they had followed my advice, Christmas time, hot toy of the season, they wouldn't take no for an answer. I took it, it was busy Christmas season, told my LOD, showed them the thank you card they told me to enjoy it, I earned it!

The handbook forbids this

Side question if you guys don't mind: how does one go about looking into the transaction history and getting the old gift card number to take $$ off of it to issue a new one if a guest has lost a gift card or claims they weren't issued one in the first place? What are the steps?

Side question if you guys don't mind: how does one go about looking into the transaction history and getting the old gift card number to take $$ off of it to issue a new one if a guest has lost a gift card or claims they weren't issued one in the first place? What are the steps?

Partner with AP to see if a gift card was actually purchased/received. We can look that stuff up for you. An amount and a date is good enough to start with, but the more info we have about the transaction, the more likely we'll find it.

But in general, if they lost it, then... I mean... try to hold on to your stuff better, ya know? Accidents happen, but the store can't shell out $50 or whatever every time someone claims they lost a gift card.

As for what employers can and can't say is very simple, date you started, date you left, and if you indeed did work there. Most organizations will not divulge at what capacity you were employed under at the time of your tenure. No subjective information should ever be discussed, good or bad, as it leaves the former employer vulnerable to litigation.

A little story from a friend of mine who doesn't worry about a job any longer.

He worked for a Fortune 100 company and was always looking to move on and up. At one stop, he ran into a little group of coworkers who just did not like him. They were cordial towards him so he never gave it much of a thought when they were acting a little strange.

An opportunity came up that doubled his current salary so he went after it. Just smoked all three interviews and was told by the director that all they needed to do was to complete their due diligence and the job was basically his. About a week later they called back and said thanks but no thanks. He was confused, but thought since he had other job interviews with the same amount of $$$'s involved, he just move on and practice his interviewing techniques.

Same results came of the other interviews.

A little later on he was approached by a headhunter who had a a career job that would set him up for a long time. However, this time the headhunter verified his information. The headhunter advised him to hire an attorney and company that checks your references.

Needless to say, he does not have to worry about employment anymore $$$.

I would think in your situation, about the only thing Target has in its employment system is not to rehire you and they will not divulge that to any outside parties for legal reasons.

Given you signed a promissory note and paid restitution, as far as Target is concerned its over and to never be discussed again. They most likely destroyed or will destroy all information involved as to avoid any future liability or legal repercussions. You should have been given a copy with the terms clearly laid out in simple language. DO NOT DISCARD THIS DOCUMENT if you received a copy. You may need it later on.

By the way, the $ monetary cards given with purchase are a form of a store coupon that only has limited value at Target. They have a "no cash value" stated on the back or somewhere, in other words you can't take it to guest service and cash it in. They have specific language as to redemption.

Adding money to these coupons is a way of Target capturing future sales with your own money at stake. Your just giving your money to them with the anticipation of spending it later on. If you don't, they will process it out of their system however they do it. That's why you should never reload these cards once they are exhausted. You can't get your money back.

I hate to say it, but you where duped into paying restitution given the nature of these store coupons IMO (if they were the ones the give with qualifying purchase). But in the long run, it will pay off since you have learned a lesson, FOLLOW THE RULES.

Target can only prosecute on the basis of theft of value. Since these are bearer coupons (no name designee), you can't really steal them unless you ring up phantom sales and/or intentionally take them by a scheme. I am not really sure if you could even prosecute on that given they have no "cash value" and are "bearer coupons". In other words, if you find one with money on it, you can still use it until it's value is depleted. They can't and don't ask for ID's when using them in a transaction for this very reason.

On the surface, it appears that this more of a failure to follow Target policy than it would be theft given what they represent. Even if you use them, it's only a Target policy that has been breached. They cannot deny the use of them by their very nature, a bearer coupon. If they did, that would open up a whole Pandora's Box of problems for Spot.

If they prosecute on the basis of a value, they would open themselves up to a breach of terms on the back of the cards. In other words, everyone would head over to Guest Service and cash out.

There is a lot information out there on store coupon and coupon fraud. If it wasn't a good way to capture sales $$$, it would have gone away a long time ago. That's why we have loadable store coupons while others only use receipt paper coupons.

You could of easily told them to go pound sand and quit. Target would have been basically powerless to pursue. That's why you'll never hear anything of this from Target. You learned a lesson and they removed a team member that was not following their rules.

If they did put your name on a registry (knowingly or unknowingly), find it and contact an attorney immediately that will help you take your name off of it. You were never given any due process. The attorney will instruct you on how to get your name off that list. Coercion/Retaliation is wrong and should be dealt with accordingly.

As for you next venture, chalk it to experience and NEVER MENTION this to a prospective employer or anyone else for that matter again. When it comes to the question of "why did you quit?" Just answer with it did not work out. In your case you can easily play it along the lines of a conflict of schedule.

I hope you have learned your lesson.

As for what employers can and can't say is very simple, date you started, date you left, and if you indeed did work there. Most organizations will not divulge at what capacity you were employed under at the time of your tenure. No subjective information should ever be discussed, good or bad, as it leaves the former employer vulnerable to litigation.

A little story from a friend of mine who doesn't worry about a job any longer.

He worked for a Fortune 100 company and was always looking to move on and up. At one stop, he ran into a little group of coworkers who just did not like him. They were cordial towards him so he never gave it much of a thought when they were acting a little strange.

An opportunity came up that doubled his current salary so he went after it. Just smoked all three interviews and was told by the director that all they needed to do was to complete their due diligence and the job was basically his. About a week later they called back and said thanks but no thanks. He was confused, but thought since he had other job interviews with the same amount of $$$'s involved, he just move on and practice his interviewing techniques.

Same results came of the other interviews.

A little later on he was approached by a headhunter who had a a career job that would set him up for a long time. However, this time the headhunter verified his information. The headhunter advised him to hire an attorney and company that checks your references.

Needless to say, he does not have to worry about employment anymore $$$.

I would think in your situation, about the only thing Target has in its employment system is not to rehire you and they will not divulge that to any outside parties for legal reasons.

Given you signed a promissory note and paid restitution, as far as Target is concerned its over and to never be discussed again. They most likely destroyed or will destroy all information involved as to avoid any future liability or legal repercussions. You should have been given a copy with the terms clearly laid out in simple language. DO NOT DISCARD THIS DOCUMENT if you received a copy. You may need it later on.

By the way, the $ monetary cards given with purchase are a form of a store coupon that only has limited value at Target. They have a "no cash value" stated on the back or somewhere, in other words you can't take it to guest service and cash it in. They have specific language as to redemption.

Adding money to these coupons is a way of Target capturing future sales with your own money at stake. Your just giving your money to them with the anticipation of spending it later on. If you don't, they will process it out of their system however they do it. That's why you should never reload these cards once they are exhausted. You can't get your money back.

I hate to say it, but you where duped into paying restitution given the nature of these store coupons IMO (if they were the ones the give with qualifying purchase). But in the long run, it will pay off since you have learned a lesson, FOLLOW THE RULES.

Target can only prosecute on the basis of theft of value. Since these are bearer coupons (no name designee), you can't really steal them unless you ring up phantom sales and/or intentionally take them by a scheme. I am not really sure if you could even prosecute on that given they have no "cash value" and are "bearer coupons". In other words, if you find one with money on it, you can still use it until it's value is depleted. They can't and don't ask for ID's when using them in a transaction for this very reason.

On the surface, it appears that this more of a failure to follow Target policy than it would be theft given what they represent. Even if you use them, it's only a Target policy that has been breached. They cannot deny the use of them by their very nature, a bearer coupon. If they did, that would open up a whole Pandora's Box of problems for Spot.

If they prosecute on the basis of a value, they would open themselves up to a breach of terms on the back of the cards. In other words, everyone would head over to Guest Service and cash out.

There is a lot information out there on store coupon and coupon fraud. If it wasn't a good way to capture sales $$$, it would have gone away a long time ago. That's why we have loadable store coupons while others only use receipt paper coupons.

You could of easily told them to go pound sand and quit. Target would have been basically powerless to pursue. That's why you'll never hear anything of this from Target. You learned a lesson and they removed a team member that was not following their rules.

If they did put your name on a registry (knowingly or unknowingly), find it and contact an attorney immediately that will help you take your name off of it. You were never given any due process. The attorney will instruct you on how to get your name off that list. Coercion/Retaliation is wrong and should be dealt with accordingly.

As for you next venture, chalk it to experience and NEVER MENTION this to a prospective employer or anyone else for that matter again. When it comes to the question of "why did you quit?" Just answer with it did not work out. In your case you can easily play it along the lines of a conflict of schedule.

I hope you have learned your lesson.
While most of your points are valid, I think you're a little off on some of them....

The one that stuck out to me the most was that the gift cards don't have a cash value. That's not necessarily true. Some states require retailers to cash out those cards, even ones received via a promotion.

This thread is pretty old. But like I previously said this instance was HR policy and not theft from Target. However Target could report it to law enforcement if they wanted to. So yes while they could have refused to give the money back to Target as restitution, nothing would stop Target from reporting and providing the evidence of the theft from the guest(s) to law enforcement.

For the amount it just wasn't worth the hassle. I've seen much higher value cases get passed to law enforcement even after the employee agrees to pay money back.

Last edited:
While most of your points are valid, I think you're a little off on some of them....

The one that stuck out to me he most was that the gift cards don't have a cash value. That's not necessarily true. (1) Some states require retailers to cash out those cards, even ones received via a promotion.

This thread is pretty old. (2)But like I previously said this instance was HR policy and not theft from Target. However Target could report it to law enforcement if they wanted to. So yes while they could have refused to give the money back to Target as restitution, nothing would stop Target from reporting and providing the evidence of the theft from the guest(s) to law enforcement.

(3) For the amount it just wasn't worth the hassle. I've seen much higher value cases get passed to law enforcement even after the employee agrees to pay money back.

(1) That's while you'll find "cash redemption values" on circular advertisement coupons like 1/20 of a cent. In practical terms, this has no cash value other than a "redemption value". In other words your $1.00 coupon is not valued at a dollar, only a redemption value which is not it's face value in cash in this case. You have got to love the legalese you find when looking this stuff up.

Our cards have specific redemption requirements to avoid fraudulent duplication and use. You agree to the stipulation upon acceptance of the card/coupon. I think you have to request redemption it writing and/or with some form of proof (receipt) if I recall correctly. In other words more than just hand it over and give me my $5 bucks.

That being said, these coupons have "no cash value" in a practical sense regarding the bearer surrendering them for cash at the point of purchase. In other words, they are not "cash vouchers". They are not treated as cash nor valued as cash unless certain conditions are met. This is done for counterfeit/fraud protection. I never knew/realized this level of complication existed until I researched the topic. A business can get themselves in some seriously financial difficulty if they don't protect themselves.

(2) I agree with your assessment on HR policy.

Coupons are a different animal when it comes to legal issues from what I have learned. We get "couponers" who clean us out and take the merchandise to resell at the local flea market. I looked up the use and I asked a couple of attorneys about the legal use of coupons.

What I learned is that the terms of redemption (redemption of cash/goods/services) will be included in the terms of use. Once again, most companies allow you the right to "cash in on a coupon" with specific instructions. Companies will often require you to provide proof of qualification or something as to protect themselves against counterfeit coupons. You'll find the clause of "Your rights vary from state to state" also appears in these terms.

From what I understand, Target would have to have offer proof that he intended to use the coupon in a manner other that its intended purpose along with proof that they were obtained in a manner that would constitute theft when filing a police report.

Unless they were trying to use it for something than its intended purpose, there is not much you can do about it. That's just how it is. That's why you see limits on the number of goods/services/cash that can be redeemed against a coupon in writing somewhere along with terms of use.

That brings us to the how how he obtained the cards/coupons. All coupons in general are considered "bearer" in redemption unless otherwise noted on the coupon itself. Target would have to have in writing (affidavit) from the Guest that they did not permit or extend the right of use of the coupon to the team member. In other words the Guest and/or the right to use in writing, the original receipt would have to be involved in the initiating of the filing of the police report. Good luck on that one.

I'll paraphrase and substitute Target for "company" in a common theme I ran across; Target cannot initiate a legal action on behalf of someone without their written consent.

It's different than taking money out of the register or merchandise from the store. You would be stealing directly from Target.

That's why retailers in general do not pursue such things. It's just too costly and too much work if its not fraud on a large scale from what I have learned/read.

(3) Your dead on with the money. It cost a lot of money to prosecute these crimes. The time you pay the attorney and prepare the case you could be out several thousand dollars and still not get a conviction. Sometimes, no matter how blatant, they are just not worth it.

I hope that former Team Member learned his lesson.

You'll need to involve AP &/or your GSTL or other leader with EJ access.
Steps shouldn't be divulged on here because of the possibility of a TM committing theft.
We termed a GSTM who was transferring giftcard balances onto her own card.
Sure enough, AP tracked her purchases down despite her frequently transferring to other cards.

Last edited:

This is probably something only AP or an ETL should be involved with.
There is way too much risk for theft and I don't think it should be covered here.

Contact an ETL or GSTL, along side AP.

Not in formal background checks as long as police were not involved. But more than likely the only ding you will have is not rehireable for Target.

In our area the only thing prospective employers ask is 'Did the applicant for for xx?' & 'If given the chance, would you rehire them?'
All the former employer can say is yes or no.
If the answer is 'no' it's up to the prospective employer to ask the applicant why they wouldn't be rehired, listen to their answer & judge whether it's credible or something that would result in a denial of an offer.

Well, in the spirit of this relevant topic being bumped.

I remember reading an article a few years ago where a guy got sent to literal prison for stealing some $30 worth of candy from a local store over the course of 5 years.

I've been tipped before as a Cart Attendant, just good people giving me a buck or two for a carryout or just randomly out in the parking lot one time a lady gave me a Caribou Coffee Giftcard because it was a very cold night (-20 degree windchill, and it was windy.) and that's all she came to target for was to find the working cart attendant and give him a gift card.

Sadly... I lost that gift card that night as well lol. I accidentally stuffed it in the pocket that my pusher remote would go and I must of made it fall out whenever I went for my remote. Still sucks to this day even if it was sometime last year.
Never turn in a tip. Your TL/ETL is just going to use it lmao

Lmao just what I was about to say. One time, someone found a $20 bill on the ground at my SCO and they said since they found it I could have it as a "tip" and I debated for a second "There's a lot of cameras on this side of the store..." so I just politely said no and told them to go buy something nice, but they didn't want it so I took it and gave it to my GSTL who put it in a til.

However, if it were on the other SCO in my store where there's basically no cameras up on the ceiling(for some reason), would I of had accepted if no one was there to see me accept it? Can't quite tell you... I really can't.

Yeah, if your obviously at a register you don't want to mess around with any cash but I doubt AP is looking to see if the lone CA got a tip for helping out with a carryout. Not only are the camera to shit to see if it was actually money, they cant even prove if you were related to them

At my old job I got tipped and I was asked what it was about and I told them it was my dad dropping off my lunch money. They couldn't prove otherwise lmao

However, if it were on the other SCO in my store where there's basically no cameras up on the ceiling(for some reason), would I of had accepted if no one was there to see me accept it? Can't quite tell you... I really can't.
All registers have some sort of camera watching them. It's required. Just becomes there's no dome doesn't mean there's no cameras.

As far as tips are concerned. I don't care about a cart attendant (or anyone for that matter) taking a tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back