Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a way of picking what I pull, what part of which stockroom am I in? What don't I need a wave for-no keys and everyone is in say - home/domestics - I think the grocery is a good place to start. No reason to be crawling over each other in the same isles. And just start killing it. But these kids couldn't even pretend to care, dude 15min and 20 batches? And now you say something?

And when you want a promo acting like a sloth is not a way to get one.

For the last few months, leadership has asked one of us to start cooler-freezer CAFs first so PFTMs can get them done ASAP.

Aside from that, I start with softlines and toys; I don't want anyone asking me to push softlines after CAFs are done. Also, aside from IFUR, they're quick and easy and you can knock down your CAF count fast. I usually add STAT and OFFICE with them since they're next to SLs in the BR (and nearby on the SF), but some CAF pushers separate them out, which I don't mind.

Then, unless they're small, I start a new tub and do sports and toys, which are next to softlines in BR. I sometimes add bath and bed to that vehicle since they're near toys in the BR. They aren't *that* close on the SF, which is why I sometimes I hold off on those til I pull appliances/plastics.

Then I pull grocery If someone hasn't already gotten to it. Then I do CHEM and PAPER, I try not to wait to do them to late cuz they can be unpredictable. After that, appliances/plastics/furn. At some point, I do electronics, but usually just when I happen to think about it when I pass the room. If I'm by myself, I do HBA and PETS last, but there's a guy that usually gets there first.

Some TLs believe the incoming closers should start with HBA and PETs, which I disagree with. 1) I have no idea if there will be any vehicles in each room. If there aren't, I have to leave product on the floor or go to the backroom and get vehicles, defeating the alleged time saving. 2) I'm usually headed to the BR 2 to 3 mins before the CAFs drop and already there when they do, so no time saving there. 3) I like to check CAF times (especially on SAT/SUN) and I'm the only BRTM who does so regularly (one of our awesome CAF pushers checks them too, but not all the time and he's not always there when I am).

Crumbdumb I get what you are saying, my logic is when you guys need help. I try to stay out of your way cause you have keys are going to have to pull certain things I just try to help clear the gun. The good backroom guys are faster than I am, so me in the way is not helping.

If I get to a batch say pets where a wave will be needed, I will clear everything I can reach and tell you its just the wave needed locs so you already know when you hit that batch just get on the wave and go! And I will leave the tub where you can drop the dog food off on. If you saw our stockroom it would make total sense.

This weekend they had enough people just not right mix of people. To many newbies, slow newbies.

At my store, we have two sections of mobile aisles in the light-duty side. My BRTL tells us to start in the mobile aisles so that if we need help pulling in the end, we don't have to worry about multiple TMs having to go into the same section of mobile aisles.

or since they drop in in reverse alphabetical order just go to the batch you want to pull ....

At my store, there's no rhyme or reason to the order in which the fillgroups are listed. I wish they were either alphabetical or in order by location (at least for light-duty, anyways). Also, what do the 4-digit batch numbers mean?

Crumbdumb I get what you are saying, my logic is when you guys need help. I try to stay out of your way cause you have keys are going to have to pull certain things I just try to help clear the gun. The good backroom guys are faster than I am, so me in the way is not helping.

If I get to a batch say pets where a wave will be needed, I will clear everything I can reach and tell you its just the wave needed locs so you already know when you hit that batch just get on the wave and go! And I will leave the tub where you can drop the dog food off on. If you saw our stockroom it would make total sense.

This weekend they had enough people just not right mix of people. To many newbies, slow newbies.

Oh ok, I didn't know you weren't a BRTM. :) Yes, grocery is perfect for insourced people or newbies.

I overheard the ETLs and a SrTL talking during their "walk" today, apartly one (or more) of them thinks the line can be set in 10 mins...(I didn't hear who said/thinks this, but I have a good idea).

To her credit, one ETL (who happens to my favorite) called bullshit.

Yes, setting the pallets doesn't take much time (not even sure it would only take 10 min, but anyway), but getting everything off the line is the real task and takes a lot of time. 90%+ of the time, the line is filled with tons of shit so whatever point this idiot ETL was trying to make is irrelevant. That's like saying it takes me 4 minutes to get to work if there's no traffic...

Last edited:
I overheard the ETLs and a SrTL talking during their "walk" today, apartly one (or more) of them thinks the line can be set in 10 mins...(I didn't hear who said/thinks this, but I have a good idea).

To her credit, one ETL (who happens to my favorite) called bullshit.

Yes, setting the pallets doesn't take much time (not even sure it would only take 10 min, but anyway), but getting everything off the line is the real task and takes a lot of time. 90%+ of the time, the line is filled with tons of shit so whatever point this idiot ETL was trying to make is irrelevant. That's like saying it takes me 4 minutes to get to work if there's no traffic...

I had an ETL tell me that once. I then challenged her to watch us set the line and provide feedback on how we can do it faster. It takes 3 of our overnight people at 9:30pm at least 30 minutes to set up our line for our 10pm unload...more if there's lots of guests in MMB, sporting goods, luggage, and mini seasonal (where we put everything that's in receiving). She watched us bust our butts and afterward never said anything about it ever again. The only thing she said during was, "I never really knew how much stuff was back here and you have to move it all twice a night?!?" We're AA volume and have a space constrained receiving area so we have a lot of stuff to move...and it all has to come out for the unload.

I had an ETL tell me that once. I then challenged her to watch us set the line and provide feedback on how we can do it faster. It takes 3 of our overnight people at 9:30pm at least 30 minutes to set up our line for our 10pm unload...more if there's lots of guests in MMB, sporting goods, luggage, and mini seasonal (where we put everything that's in receiving). She watched us bust our butts and afterward never said anything about it ever again. The only thing she said during was, "I never really knew how much stuff was back here and you have to move it all twice a night?!?" We're AA volume and have a space constrained receiving area so we have a lot of stuff to move...and it all has to come out for the unload.

I think I found the culprit!

Today, after one of the busiest days of the year (no joke), one of my least favorite ETLs walkies me at around 7 saying I need *all* the backstock (including coolers/freezers, pets, HBA) done by 8:30 with the line set *and* it needs to be set in 15 mins...

The fuck?

At this point, there were 8 or so tubs of regular backstock (with more coming in cuz they weren't even done *pushing* the line...) and a couple small BS vehicles in the cooler/freezers. I rushed like hell and finished all the BS except one tub of FURN and the stuff still being brought back from CAFs (to his credit, the BRTM I rag on a lot finished the price changes).

I walkie this asshole ETL at about 8 and ask her to meet me in the back. Incidently, she asks me to get a guest pull when she meets me back there...Anyway, I tell her this 15 min thing is unrealistic with all the crap on the line (including, again, the CAFs that haven't even been pushed yet...)

She *claims* she has the ability to set the line in 15 mins cuz she use to be LOG and did it before all the time *by herself*. And that she could do it tonight if she wanted.

Really now...maybe things were different at her old store, but I *highly* doubt she'd be able to do it by herself at this store with the dozens of vehicles and other assorted crap to move out the way like I have to every night...

I guess I guilted her a bit and she came back a few min later to help me set the line. Unnecessary, but whatever. It was clear she hasn't been LOG in a while cuz she barely knew where anything was supposed to go (I don't fault her for that tho, we've changed the line layout several times over the years and she's only been in this store about a year). We ended up finishing in about 25 min (which, with two people, isn't that good, but again, I'll be a bit generous cuz she's new to the store, isn't LOG, and line layout changes all the time).

I still hate her guts. Very few ETLs stay here for long and I don't expect anything different with her. Hopefully she takes the STL with her. I only like one ETL at this point; I use to not like her, but she's lightened up over the years and is relatively chill now.

I'm pretty much done with everyone in the backroom at the turd of a store that I work at. Even with my constant complaining and hatred of Target, I honestly get along and/or at least tolerate most people. Most of the people that I can't stand and the ones that give me drama are the ones in the backroom. The majority of them are just lazy incompetent untrustworthy assholes.

I told the fucker that was helping me today that he was stuck with me until 630pm and that I enjoy the role of the villain. That fucker bailed on me right at 630pm. He didn't even finish pulling the hardlines CAF batches. He left about 14 hardlines side CAF batches for me. I didn't finish until 705pm and I don't give a shit. Fuck the backroom and Target.

I told the ETL of logistics about how shitty his backroom team members are. I didn't care if he gave a fuck. I just wanted to bitch and complain. I told him how that no one in the backroom ever communicates with me on the walkie talkie about what they're doing and when they are going on and coming back from breaks and lunches and how they just bail on me and don't even tell me. I also told him about the piece of shit guy that was scheduled until 530pm on Saturday but left at like 445pm. What the fuck?

When I'm in the backroom at my store around those fuckers, it's like Christian Bale on Terminator 4 rant. Like seriously, what the fuck are you doing?

I am glad when I'm the last human in the backroom at my store. I can't stand any of them. The salesfloor team members are actually human and not pieces of shit. They're actually somewhat friendly to me unlike backroom dwellers. They're a lot more helpful.

I will just give you an example of the shit that these lazy backroom fuckers pull at my store. Someone took the backroom electronics key because electronics was extremely busy most of the day. The guys pulling the GM side were calling electronics every hour to come back and unlock the stockroom.

You can't walk out onto the floor and just ask to borrow it? Just lazy piece of shit babies.

And can't forget how the two assholes that were helping me today took a break at the same time. This is backroom day. Not early morning backroom where you can just slack off and camouflage yourself into the group.

Backroom team members just walking off and going who knows where and no communication. This store is a joke. The backroom is a joke. My team lead is an idiot. Oh yeah, why doesn't she work Sundays? How can a person be a team lead if they are unable to work Sundays?

If Im scheduled until a 30 I usually just finish out the cafs for the hour. I do have Tms that will just jump out at batch when their time to leaves hits though. I can't really get mad because there is really no reason to stay.

Some of us don't have the luxury of staying past our scheduled time.

1. We have lives outside of Target.

2. If I'm scheduled 40 hrs (like I am next week), I have no option but to go at my scheduled time.

3. Without getting into the details, staying past my scheduled time has gotten me in trouble (and not cuz of the 40 hour thing).

4. *Why* should I stay past my scheduled time unsolicited out of courtesy? It's not my job to fix their dumb schuduling. If they ask me to stay, I'll consider, if not, I'm leaving. If you don't like how they schedule, talk to somebody (I have before and it's led to nothing, but it's worth a shot). Believe me, I know how much it sucks for BRTMs to be left hanging on CAFs, price changes and the rest, but if you ask the right people you can get a TL to help with 6PM CAFs.

Last edited:
The scores for caf batches at my turd store are so bad now that it doesn't matter if they roll. I can't force etls and teamleads to drop everything to come back to help me with caf batches. I usually ask twice and if no response then fuck it. They roll, they roll. Keep on rollin' baby. You know what time it is.

I've only done caf batches once so far as Flow, but I like it so far. I always move quickly.
What is the process of backstocking in the backroom, I'd like to know.

"Gotta kill a few people.
Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs."

I've only done caf batches once so far as Flow, but I like it so far. I always move quickly.
What is the process of backstocking in the backroom, I'd like to know.
STO function in RF Apps.

Scan item, scan location, key quantity and put it there neatly. Very similar to pulling batches. Make sure you're putting items in the right aisles/fillgroups though or you'll slow down your team.

STO function in RF Apps.

Scan item, scan location, key quantity and put it there neatly. Very similar to pulling batches. Make sure you're putting items in the right aisles/fillgroups though or you'll slow down your team.

Simple, Thanks I hope I get more chances to pull batches or backstock in the BR.

Simple, Thanks I hope I get more chances to pull batches or backstock in the BR.

Make sure you separate out sizes on clothing... aka the DPCI for a small shirt is not the same as for a large shirt.

I often look at the UPCs of items that could be confusing (think phone cases - can look alike at first glance, but can be different UPCs and DPCIs.)

Place the product in the Waco so that the bar code is facing up or out, if possible. Also, it helps to rubber band like items in groups together (think packs of pencils.) Flow should be rubber banding items, but sometimes they forget.

Someone please explain to me why my TL has like 4 of us backstocking, but expects one person to pull batches and flex fulfillment?! A few of us have said "oh hey, there are a few orders in the gun. _____ is still pulling their batches, would you like for me to hop in to FF? I've noticed a few have already gone over their pick time"

And instead of saying "yea, that would be great" we get a response of "no. ______ should be doing them, just go backstock." and they act irritated, like the CAFer isn't doing their job (even though he totally is- it's just next to impossible to do CAFs and FF simultaneously) I just don't get it...WHY would you have one person be responsible for the only two "timed" tasks, while "wasting" all of your other TMs on backstock?

My TL has basically totally checked out recently and just doesn't seem to care. The backroom looks like a war zone when my TL is in charge, but when my ETL heads stuff up things go flawlessly (which blows my mind...up until recently it seemed like our ETL was clueless and the TL held everything together) I really loved my TL, but it's all just falling apart right now. It's so frustrating to watch. :( We all offer suggestions to try to make things go better, but we're shot down every time.

Going off of the story above what does everyone's morning BR TMs do when the CAFs start dropping? Seems like ours mostly backstock and only help pull a few batches if things get crazy.

Imo everyone should do the pulls then resume whatever task at hand but what do I know

I'll be glad once this holiday is over

Online FAs and SFS orders being a pain in the arse.

Tuesday Night
Found out that Price Changes were 3:36 hours, which had to be pulled this Morning

Earlier tonight found out that Prices changes were 2 hours

Just when I thought we caught a break. Oh well, we'll pull those in the morning.

tumblr_mbqn7c5QQL1rq3dcto1_400.gif

There is also another double truck tonight, so I wonder what I'll be walking into the next morning?

Going off of the story above what does everyone's morning BR TMs do when the CAFs start dropping? Seems like ours mostly backstock and only help pull a few batches if things get crazy.

Imo everyone should do the pulls then resume whatever task at hand but what do I know
Our morning and dayside BR is the same team. Maybe there will be a mid scheduled, maybe not.

Morning BR team usually has to work the back side of the line during the unload, so they start pulling the autofills an hour and a half late. They have to rush to get it done, then get the backstock from the unload done, then maybe backstock a few tubs to use for the 11s (sometimes they don't even finish the backstock from the truck by 11).

Then it's just pulling CAFs and trying to clear tubs until the closer comes in.

If you want to buy some cheap Sharper Image stuff, buy it today because I pulled about 3 pallets of tonight for price change. I pulled 2 pallets of mini heaters as well. I'm glad I had help and that my helper stayed until 8pm. It took us an hour and a half to pull 10 batches. That would have been 3 hours of work if I had been by myself.

The FF wasn't bad at all tonight. I thought it was going to be crazy and there would be like 10 to 20 orders pop up in an hour or something.

The amount of seasonal in our backroom is insane. 2 days ago I pulled a batch with 114 DPCIs and 7000 eaches. Leadership has since kept dropping seasonal batches that are huge. It's almost all gone though, and hopefully that means when Christmas hits clearance, there wont be much of it in the backroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back