Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you clear the line when one side is jammed full with pulls and the other is jammed full of pallets of truck freight? Magic? Super powers? I don't clear the line because I can't. There's no place for me to move shit. The pallets just have to stay where they are. Besides it's not productive. Better off just going straight to back stock and try to put a tiny dent in back stock. I will plug in the machines and the FF printer in the back. After the 6pm caf batches, it's price change batches, FF, plug in machines and ff printer, and back stock.
Our closer started shrink wrapping the truck freight and putting it up in the steel after the flow TL complained about the line not being set.

It's probably time consuming but it definitely gets the point across...

That works when there is room available in the steel. At my store there's literally no room for the pallets. They have to stay put until flow works the product. It's just the way it is.

That works when there is room available in the steel. At my store there's literally no room for the pallets. They have to stay put until flow works the product. It's just the way it is.
No room in our steel either. We have a line down the tv wall of backstock every day to set the truck. It's soul crushing.

Now that the accumulator is pretty much defunct. Does LOCU stowing and/or LOCU + then STO effect anything?

Just spent the other day LOCU and STOing BBO1 and BBO2. Had off yesterday, heading in this afternoon. Don't know if I just F'd up AUTOs/CAFs for the BRTMs yesterday.

Sorry, if this has already been addressed. Please just point me to the previous post if such exists.

Now that the accumulator is pretty much defunct. Does LOCU stowing and/or LOCU + then STO effect anything?

Just spent the other day LOCU and STOing BBO1 and BBO2. Had off yesterday, heading in this afternoon. Don't know if I just F'd up AUTOs/CAFs for the BRTMs yesterday.

Sorry, if this has already been addressed. Please just point me to the previous post if such exists.
It shouldn't hurt anything. Only thing I would see happening is incorrectly STOd stuff coming out if there was a need

How do you guys handle Myfa orders. Backstocking all the fdc, pulling all the cafs which range from 1.5 to 2 hours and getting all the push done with having 16 hours scheduled for dayside? We keep not finishing especially with so many calls every day.

It shouldn't hurt anything. Only thing I would see happening is incorrectly STOd stuff coming out if there was a need

Thanks for the response.

Had to remove a decent amount of BBO1 from BBO2 (Get the Chems outta Food... dopes in the BR). Took the opportunity to LOCU everything, zone and restow (Used STO as often as possible, vs. restowing while still in LOCU). I just remember reading that if you LOCU STO it would effect the accumulator... but I guess since the accumulator doesn't exist anymore, it doesn't really matter either way.

Thanks for the response.

Had to remove a decent amount of BBO1 from BBO2 (Get the Chems outta Food... dopes in the BR). Took the opportunity to LOCU everything, zone and restow (Used STO as often as possible, vs. restowing while still in LOCU). I just remember reading that if you LOCU STO it would effect the accumulator... but I guess since the accumulator doesn't exist anymore, it doesn't really matter either way.
Nah, you're in the clear. CAFs are based on floor counts and on hand vs what's STOd

Today we had 4 daysiders, great! Except one left at 2:30PM and another at 3:30PM...

So so stupid: *if we have the payroll, we don't need two openers; we need an opener, two lateish mids and a closer *or* an opener, a lateish mid and two closers.*

CAFs were more or less an hour and a half all day which was fine cuz we had coverage and one of us was allowed to backstock so it was under control...until the early daysiders left and no one was backstocking after 4PM (one early daysider was a SrTL and was allowed to backstock instead of push inbetween CAFs, rest of us had to push).

After the 6PM CAFs, we're usually allowed to backstock, but today the LOD made *both* me and the mid help push. The line had 8-10 vehicles when we finished the 6PMs. They could have had say...half the late sales floor TMs push one tub (even if partially) and do their zone afterwards, problem mostly solved, CAF pusher could have finished rest with ease.

But she made BR push instead (along with a newbie SFTL and a another SFTM) giving us a tiny amount of time to set the line and do price changes (had 3 flat beds today) before 8:30PM.

I left 8 to 10 vehicles of backstock for the night *all because these idiots make us do the sales floors' job and suck at scheduling*. But oh well, it's the bed they made.

With the ridiculous amount of push and flexes, we rarely have time to set the line. If a certain ETL is there, he lets us come clean on the backstock instead of pushing everything. And we don't even pull price changes at night anymore; that gets done in the morning now.

How do you guys handle Myfa orders. Backstocking all the fdc, pulling all the cafs which range from 1.5 to 2 hours and getting all the push done with having 16 hours scheduled for dayside? We keep not finishing especially with so many calls every day.

I make sure that my team does not miss any CAFS for whatever reason. No merchandise on the floor is more stuff in the back and less revenue for our hours. We partner with LoD to get help. As for FA SPUs, we may sacrifice timely pulling for the completion rate. Sometimes we may run across an order which may have an off location item. We have overstocked merchandise behind the line, in the steel and garden center. The ETLs are the only ones who can cancel an order. Sometimes they are not as fast as my team.

With the ridiculous amount of push and flexes, we rarely have time to set the line. If a certain ETL is there, he lets us come clean on the backstock instead of pushing everything. And we don't even pull price changes at night anymore; that gets done in the morning now.

I don't really mind doing price changes, but from the time I started working at Target, I've always thought overnight team should set their own lines.

1. When the day closer does it by themselves, it takes twice as long; two or three overnighters can do it in under 20 mins, it takes me 40-50 min by myself, sometimes 30 if the line is light (I've never had a closing LOD, ETL or SrTL offer to help, even tho it would cut the time in half) 2. The closer is fucking exhausted by the time they have to do it (and while they're doing it) 3. Overnight can set it the way they want and not whine to me the next day that I put certain things in the wrong place or whatever. 4. It takes 40-50 minutes away from my time where I could be backstocking or doing other way more productive things.

Last edited:
Thought I'd share my handy-work from the other day. Added some guidance signs for BBO backstocking. This should {hopefully} help limit the possibility of someone stowing Chemicals in Baby Food and vise-versus. If this works out well, I'll probably do the same for Pets and HBA (Oral Care).
View attachment 1566
Neat signs. My store uses a label maker and multi-color tape to distinguish segments down an aisle.

Oh god the robes.
Nothing like the static electricity trying to sort through the more than 50 extra MENS robes we have for the one location they go to
I was shopping & the poor SLTMs were trying to get those robes out; their hair looked like something out of a elec 101 class demo.

4th Quarter RANT:
Piles of backstock from daily 2000+ piece trucks.
"Does that FLOW TM know how to backstock?"
"Sure, I just showed them how to type in 'STO'."

11a-7pm Daily CAFs.
"They're only 30 mins with 2 TMs pulling."
"But it's just me from noon to 2pm."
"You should be fine."

FLEX, FLEX, FLEX!
"Backroom! You have a FLEX alert!"
"I'm already putting it in hold, thank you."

The bullshit calls from the floor...
"Backroom can you pull an item for a guest?"
"Sure, I'll put it on the line."
"No, I need you to bring it out to me, the guest is waiting."
-SMFH- Ain't nobody got time for that.

Today was one of the busiest days of the year (of course) and we only had 3 daysiders (one outsourced from another department with a 6 to 2:30 shift, which was dumb as shit and he's not good in the backroom either); The other TM was the newbie who sucks ass too.

After the opener left, all the CAFs were over 2 hours, some really close to 3. Our asshole STL helped and so did some other TLs, which was nice.

But when I tried to take my lunch, my asshole STL tried (and failed) to stop/haggle me over it. Why, I don't know, I got in at 12 and took my lunch at 4:46, relatively normal (the newbie TM took his lunch *the exact same time* an hour earlier), but after my asshole STL tried to walkie me a couple times after I announced my lunch on both walkie channels, I ignored him, turned my walkie off and took my lunch.

When I left for lunch, there was only one CAF left in the gun and someone was pulling it, so there was no reason to give me a hard to about my lunch, I have to take it no matter what and it's better I take it at 4:45 instead of 5:45 and *he has no veto power over my lunches anyway* as long as I'm in compliance. I *hate* this guy. I really do. With passion.

When I got back from lunch, he said nothing to me about my lunch cuz I was in the right and he knows it. *You do not have veto power over my lunches*.

And the BR newbie, holycrap. 2/3rd's of the time I tried to walkie him, he had a dead walkie battery or his walkie was off (I just wanted to coordinate breaks/lunches mostly, not micromanage him). He's getting a little faster, but he still has some trouble getting to point A from point B when it comes to fill groups.

And of course I left 10+ tubs of BS. I don't care anymore. If my LOG-ETL gives me a hard time about it, I'll tell him to talk to the STL who makes BRTMs push from the lines instead of backstock and ask him why we can't properly schedule on one of the biggest shopping days of the year. This is was a self-inflicted injury.

So last night we had an evening backroom TM call out, and as it was an incredibly sales-heavy day, the CAFs were gigantic. Paper alone took up 5 vehicles. 3 flats, a tub, and a 3 tier. The closing LOD was one of our new-ish ETL's, and she was really freaking out about it. When she was up at the front, I offered to help out since we had 3 GSA's including myself up there at the time. I didn't know how to pull, but I figured it wouldn't be hard and so the Backroom TM just got me going in the right direction. I gotta learn this stuff eventually anyways since I'm moving to Flexible Fulfillment, might as well do it when I can lend a hand and we have plenty of coverage at the font. A couple of HLTM's were also pulled to help pull.

All in all, it was actually very therapeutic. It was nice to get away from the chaos that was the check lanes and chill in the backroom, doing my thing. I also learned how to backstock and pick SPU's, so that was fun. It's gonna be nice to be able to get away from the guests and worry more about task-focused goals as opposed to the service-based "treading water" feel that I get from the front end.

Sunday was worse than Saturday. A bubba didn't want to work today but at least a hardlines guy that used to work in the backroom with on the weekends offered to cover the shift. If he hadn't have done that, it would have been WOW. I don't even have words for what it would have been like. At my store we have a whopping 3 backroom day workers on the weekends. First bubba leaves at 430pm(I think it's way too fucking early but whatever, 2nd guy leaves at 730pm, and I leave at 930pmish. The two guys missed the 1pm CAF batches by one batch. The 430pm guy just had to leave at 430pm because there was just no way he could stay 10 to 15 minutes past to help us finish. That's when the wheels came off. I had a GRC2 batch that had 50 DPCI with like 300 eaches. DARY had like 30 DPCI that hour. Since lazy ass 430pm guy couldn't sacrifice 10 to 15 minutes, we missed the 4pm CAF batches. I think about 5 rolled. We missed the 5pm CAF batches as well but it was even worse. I think we had maybe 10 or 11 batches roll on the 5pm CAF batches. At 6pm, we had 2 big ass DARY batches. We didn't finish the 6pm CAF batches until 720pm. The 4pm CAF batches pull goal was a little over 4 hours. We finished a little over 5 hours. Terrible scheduling and a lack of accountability are why the backroom at my store sucks ass. If I was team lead, I would that 430pm fucker would be scheduled until at least 6pm or 630pm. He is typically a morning backroom person 4am to noon so working until 430pm is out of his comfort zone. I have said this before and I will say it again. Fuck your comfort zone. Do you think I like being in the backroom until 930pm? No. Just too many babies and wimps in the backroom at my store. And their favoritism is pathetically obvious. If you are a morning backroom team member, you get favoritism and preferential treatment. If you are a backroom day minion like me, you get shat on and a ridiculous workload with very little help.

I will be so glad when I'm done with Target and retail. I really hope that some of the lazy fuckers in the morning backroom team are forced to work some of my shifts when I leave Target for good. Knowing that would make me extremely happy. I would love to see them be out of their cushy 4am to noon comfort zone and be out on the salesfloor for an hour from like 8pm to 9pm pulling FF. Give you a taste of it and see how you like it, you lazy asshole fuckers.

And yeah, I don't like morning backroom team members. They fucking suck at my store.

I don't mind if overnight people don't want to work in the late afternoon and overnight at the same time. Working 4AM-12PM one day, 10-6:30 the next and 4AM-12PM the next is fucked up and I'd refuse to. (Btw, at our store, they make overnight BR push the truck part of the time, so it's not like they're never on the salesfloor).

The problems: (at our store at least is)

1. We don't have enough daysiders, one quit last month after our LOG-ETL and BRTM "huddled" with us to yell at us for leaving backstock nearly every night and our general performance. So a guy quit two days later, making the problem worse (nice one, leadership!) How can we hire and retain daysiders? I don't know. Paying more isn't out of the question, but they already bumped pay once (and it was a company wide thing) and I don't think they're eager to do it again. Not yelling at us would help. hmm...

2. Since we barely have any daysiders, forget about having a dayside "opener" (someone who comes in between 6 to 9 to pull research) for a while. Have someone else pull research: overnight, some TL, the instocks person, anyone else. If there aren't enough non-backroom people trained to pull batches, maybe train some? I'm backroom and you force me to push to the floor. And I don't even understand why research at our store is so big anyway, isn't that the point of autofills and the truck?

So...At least til January, ditch the opener and scheduled two daysiders to cover the autofill vortex and price change: one 11-7:30, one 12-8:30. On SAT/SUN, add one more at 10 (or 10:30)-6:30 (or 7).

3. Stop insourcing slow people. I know one of the scrubs they insourced was asked to work backroom, she said she'd do 1 or 2 days a week, and they went ahead and gave her 4 to 5 days (yeah, I know..."who cares?", but she sucks, so I'd grant her request).

To their credit, they do schedule one former BRer turned SFTL a few times a week, but we have another guy whose exactly the same that could work backroom, schedule him a couple times. There's one other TL who I don't think ever worked BR but does well there, schedule him a few times.

4. The pushing CAFs and 8:30 issue: been over it and they're inflexible, so not gonna waste much time on this.

Last edited:
Can we stop hiring newbie kids who have NO hustle. I mean I am old enough to be their mother with spine issues and when I move faster than they do when we are about roll the caf round, it's a big problem! I can do the work but I am not fast, I know what I am doing but I have to pace to not hurt myself. But these kids work at my "hang out with my girlfriends shopping pace" I could have screamed this weekend.

They just kept standing there "in the duh zone" What do you mean take the tub down the isle as I pull? Oh you can leave stuff on the floor as I pull the isle? Holy hell! Move your ass!

Can we stop hiring newbie kids who have NO hustle. I mean I am old enough to be their mother with spine issues and when I move faster than they do when we are about roll the caf round, it's a big problem! I can do the work but I am not fast, I know what I am doing but I have to pace to not hurt myself. But these kids work at my "hang out with my girlfriends shopping pace" I could have screamed this weekend.

They just kept standing there "in the duh zone" What do you mean take the tub down the isle as I pull? Oh you can leave stuff on the floor as I pull the isle? Holy hell! Move your ass!

That's the dilemma, non-college aged employees don't want to stick around a job that barely pays a few dollars above minimum wage for too long, unless they think they can get a promo.

And we have several retailers and FF places around, so the college-aged types probably feel they have nothing to loose slacking off. They can get a $9-ish job somewhere else (and one where they don't have to physically exert themselves for 8 hours).

I will say one thing: when it comes to performance, people of all ages suck in dayside BR. In the 8 years I've worked dayside BR, only about 7 or 8 TMs were good (out of dozens, our turnover is off the charts).

The key to dayside BR isn't to work like a roadrunner, it's getting from point A to point B at a steady pace. Don't stare at your PDA for minutes: scroll for a few seconds, find a batch that's in some section (say softlines), hop in, and pull! And don't spend forever staring at your PDA lookin for the next location. Walk and chew gum at the same time: walk while looking for the next location.

When you're done in the section, do a quick scroll to see if you got all the batches, take your tub to the line and jump in another section.

BTW, you're allowed to walk and scroll at the same time. Nothing drives me nuts more than people who stand still and scroll for their next section for nearly a minute!

And you don't have to pull batches in order of the aisles. If you're pulling groceries, scroll til you see a grocery batch and hop in.

Last edited:
That's the dilemma, non-college aged employees don't want to stick around a job that barely pays a few dollars above minimum wage for too long, unless they think they can get a promo.

And we have several retailers and FF places around, so the college-aged types probably feel they have nothing to loose slacking off. They can get a $9-ish job somewhere else (and one where they don't have to physically exert themselves for 8 hours).

I will say one thing: when it comes to performance, people of all ages suck in dayside BR. In the 8 years I've worked dayside BR, only about 7 or 8 TMs were good (out of dozens, our turnover is off the charts).

The key to dayside BR isn't to work like a roadrunner, it's getting from point A to point B at a steady pace. Don't stare at your PDA for minutes: scroll for a few seconds, find a batch that's in some section (say softlines), hop in, and pull! And don't spend forever staring at your PDA lookin for the next location. Walk and chew gum at the same time: walk while looking for the next location.

When you're done in the section, do a quick scroll to see if you got all the batches, take your tub to the line and jump in another section.

BTW, you're allowed to walk and scroll at the same time. Nothing drives me nuts more than people who stand still and scroll for their next section for nearly a minute!

And you don't have to pull batches in order of the aisles. If you're pulling groceries, scroll til you see a grocery batch and hop in.
or since they drop in in reverse alphabetical order just go to the batch you want to pull ....

I have a way of picking what I pull, what part of which stockroom am I in? What don't I need a wave for-no keys and everyone is in say - home/domestics - I think the grocery is a good place to start. No reason to be crawling over each other in the same isles. And just start killing it. But these kids couldn't even pretend to care, dude 15min and 20 batches? And now you say something?

And when you want a promo acting like a sloth is not a way to get one.

Nowadays in the 4th quarter, barely anyone has any common sense. Here's an issue I've been dealing with for awhile.

I've been working in the backroom for quite awhile. There's barely any veterans left in the store besides management. Like many of yours, my backroom is also a mess with single large or double trucks on the 6 days we receive. I'm usually good at completing our workloads easily. However, due to the increased workload, it's like my team aren't doing anything significant (from ETL's perspective). We stay on top of CAFs and Flexibles. They want us to also keep the main, grocery, line and receiving clean. The irony is, the overnight process is mostly the root cause of it all. It's not what they don't see, it what they see.

It's always common that one of my team is told to do something else without my knowing.

My team is comprised of 5 people (with me) spread to max hours. All hands on deck for first 2 hours of CAFs. Afterwards, 2 people at most 1 pm onwards. When someone has to take a break/lunch, someone else has to step in. Not easy to do with a missing compadre.

Some of my ETLs praise open communication, but this baffles me.

Oh well, back to my magical world. Rant over.

tumblr_inline_n1heu4MZtK1rrkdbp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back