Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at my store. We pull research and exfs. Pogs are supposed to be pulled by whoever dropped them.

There isn't an official rule on this, but at our store, backroom seems to only pull POGs if a TL asks us to. If someone drops a POG at 5 or 6 and noone says anything about it, I rarely pull it and I've never been coached.

So today, our 11 o'clock CAFs were 4.5 hours long with only 2 people pulling. Dairy alone was 45 minutes long. It took me the whole hour just to pull DAIRY and GRC 1-3. Needless to say, 23 CAFs rolled over. That was fun.

I pulled 9 cans of the same Progresso soup on an hourly pull today. From 8 locations. Fun & Friendly can be faked, but Fast requires cooperation. I don't know how to look forward to my next shift.

Last edited:
Yesterday felt like a saturday in the backroom. It was move in day for a nearby college campus so the CAFs were 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours every hour. I was the only one in the backroom from 12:30 - 5 so I pretty much had to have the LOG ETL stick around and help me pull every hour.

Due to "performance issues" (not coming clean everyday), dayside BR at our store now *has* to come clean everyday (or close to it) or...else.

Our TLs told us this Sunday and...since then I've come clean everyday I've closed...even Sunday which *never* happens. It hasn't been easy, but it's interesting what you can accomplish when you have a gun to your head.

But I try to plan, scheme and feel out what I need to do and I've figured some things out on how to do what I need to do (everything is 100 percent easier when my STL isn't closing, every other ETL is chill after 4PM except him).

I talked to my p-fresh buddy about what they said to us and she talked to the other p-fresh TMs and they now do much/most of their own BS, praise baby Jesus. That was a huge issue with why we weren't coming clean. P-fresh buddy and I talk about BR idiocy all the time; she gets it and has been a huge help, I'm lucky she's here.

Overall, we're doing better so far (out of fear), but I wonder if making an ultimatum like this was wise. What happens in the summer and holidays when workload kicks into hyperdrive and we have the same level of lame coverage? We only have 3 daysiders (one is awful and will probably quit before the year's over) and I cap my hours (my body can't take 5 days of it).

I was talking to our BRTL, who's been in his position for about 6 months since he transferred from the sales floor, and he says we have never come clean since he became BRTL.

Coming clean is a lovely term that leadership loves to throw at the backroom. I've been TL for a little over 6 months in B/R but I'm no rookie. I'll challenge the timing if the truck finishing, size of team and truck, planos lovely mess that's left and the fact you can't expect a 1700 piece truck and 2700 piece truck to be handled equally when you schedule both the same. Level out the trucks to a more consistent number and understand all that impacts the backroom. Once CAFS drop backstocking stops for the most part until 7pm and even then alot won't get done between flex, guest calls, and setting the line since its 1 person closing. Sorry had to vent again lol

I wish you were my BRTL...

(Re: trucks: maybe I'm nuts, but I think there should be no weekend trucks and just have trucks Monday through Friday...)

Anyway....yeah, before they added 6PM CAFs, p-fresh and made us push the line and the closer leave at 8:30, coming clean during the day was almost never an issue (for me) except if I had giant price changes or plano dumped a crapton on us. Now, it's like running a marathon.

I wish we could, at the very least, go back to 10PM closing...

Thank baby Jesus they don't make our backroom do ff...

Last edited:
Our goal now is to come clean in the main every day (except for softlines), and the closer is supposed to just backstock softlines when he is finished everything else. It sounds great, except our Pfresh coolers are not looking so great and our satellite stockrooms look fucking terrible and are overflowing.

image.jpeg

P-fresh CAFs are out of control. On a regular old Sat, DARY can take 20-30 min by itself, with most of the labels non-scanable! And then dayside gets attacked for rollovers (we didn't have any today thank god, but it was down to the wire a couple times).

It's a setup, I tell ya!

Today a SRTL took my softlines pull out of the 3tier, threw it on a pallet of backstock, and used the 3tier for their own pull.

Today a SRTL took my softlines pull out of the 3tier, threw it on a pallet of backstock, and used the 3tier for their own pull.
Did he know it was a pull? I can definitely see that happening at my store, where 3-tiers are in short supply and pallets of backstock are abundant.

Oh yes there was a clip and everything. At least have the decency to push the item along with your stuff if you're going to do that.

Our team is pretty good about putting the right clip on the appropriate vehicle. If the backroom TM doesn't know if it's a pull or if it's backstock, they can check the instocks feature on the Item Search app on the PDA to check when the item was last pulled. If it was pulled more than an hour ago, I'd guess it was backstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back