Archived The Big & Dandy Plano thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the Plano team lead at my store, at the first I really struggled with the work and team since I had set a lot of the big transitions while I was still new in role but now I feel much more confident. Organization is the key along with holding your team accountable, those two things will set you up for success. At my store we work Sunday through Thursday. I'm usually the only schedule on Sunday because that gives me time to prepare for upcoming transitions without having to manage a team but I also set small pogs that don't take all day to do but can still keep us on track.

I am both ptl/patl so I work Sun-Thursday. Making sure you have a solid pog team and make sure you communicate daily with store leadership is a key.

Is it just me or does Plano have to do everything now a days? Re-merchandise, pricing, instocks ,salesplanners, push(truck), backstock, back up cashier...it might not just be Plano but I swear the days if getting hired to do what it says you do on your pay check is over....

Its just your store. We only do what we are given hours for, and since they cut those, there is no time for the team to be doing constant back up.

TargetOldTimer, I remember those days. Sometimes it's like that. Here lately it's been a little out of control. Backup isn't too bad but everything else is...

Has anyone else started the back to school set..? We started last week.....I love Patio Furniture with my pens and pencils....

Is it just me or does Plano have to do everything now a days? Re-merchandise, pricing, instocks ,salesplanners, push(truck), backstock, back up cashier...it might not just be Plano but I swear the days if getting hired to do what it says you do on your pay check is over....

We passed that point about a year and a half, almost two years ago. Now we barely have anybody scheduled for plano, that there's no way to do all that stuff. No bodies, no people to do the actual plano workload if it's just one person scheduled.

Same in my store I still get my "hours" and I have a team of 3 including me normally.. but we do everything. Now they are talking about how we should answer calls for the salesfloor and backup cashier and get carts etc.. seriously? we help on the salesfloor.. we get call boxes all the time. I don't really ever answer phone calls unless they are too short handed but getting crts? and why should we have to backup when theres salesfloor people hiding out on the salesfloor. ive been there 12 years I know they are just not responding.

what is your stores plano team size? I am just curious with all the huge sets coming down the line how they expect us to get it all done?

what is your stores plano team size? I am just curious with all the huge sets coming down the line how they expect us to get it all done?
I have two full time team members and my signing team member. last week during BTS i had myself and 3 other team members. needless to say we were still finishing last weeks work till yesterday. we spend 1 - 2 hous doing smar huddle and pushing truck everyday. depends on how things are going for the flow team.

We have 1 PTL, 5 Presentation TM, and 1 signing TM. We also have 2 fully trained backup TM who can help out if we need them.

We have 1 PTL, 5 Presentation TM, and 1 signing TM. We also have 2 fully trained backup TM who can help out if we need them.

this is the perfect sized team (and with backups--wow!!). especially if you pull/backstock/remerch clearance and smart huddle every day.

this is the perfect sized team (and with backups--wow!!). especially if you pull/backstock/remerch clearance and smart huddle every day.

I agree I have lots of backups that I have trained but my core team is ptl, 2 tm's and 1 signing tm

My store has the ptl, 3 full timers (1 who does revisions almost exclusively), 1 part timer, and the signing tm. We really need to have 4 FT Plano TMs. They do it all (except entertainment revisions, video games revisions, and check lane endcaps), including demerch, re-merch clearance, pull, and backstock. Heavy set weeks are rough. -_-

we do all entertainment(not new releases), video games and checklanes but we dont have to backstock normally and we do clearance if its manageable but if its too much we put it for smart huddle and end up doing it then.
Its nice we dont have to do accessories anymore just the belts, umbrellas and wallets.

We had the PTL, 4 full time plano TM's, the signing ninja and a couple of folks in other departments who had plano training to help out when it hit the fan.

1 PTL, 4 Full-time TMs, 1 revisions TM, 1 part-time TM, 1 signing, 3+ back ups

The PTL also utilizes a couple of Flow TMs to push.

The back-ups are fully trained TMs. My PTL has a few for "just in case" and to cover vacations.
Good idea, because we had a week where two of his TMs had a family death and were gone for a week.
Other than that we never get scheduled because we're locked to other workcenters.

Last edited:
Is this normal? (Keep in mind we are a Low-Volume Store)

1-Team Lead (Pricing and Presentation)
1- Part Time Presentation
2- Full Time Presentation (1 is myself and the other usually shifts between Revisions and Price Change, depending on workload)
1- Full Time Price Change
1- Part Time Price Change

We usually finish on time, but lately it's been a bit difficult with everyone stretched thin all over the store.

we have 1 tl and 3ft in a AA volume store. 380 hours this week 300 schedule(allocated). now, how am i supposed to care if they keep screwing me with payroll.

we have 1 tl and 3ft in a AA volume store. 380 hours this week 300 schedule(allocated). now, how am i supposed to care if they keep screwing me with payroll.

Im only B volume and they do the same thing. This year my team and I have only managed to get the weekly workload done two weeks. it really stinks. But at the same time my etl and stl dont hassle me either because they understand. I do as much as I can with what I am given and go from there. each weeks I make a solid plan, my team members are all good and for the most part well trained. sometimes like this week I have new tm's that I have to train but market isnt that hard to train someone so itll be ok :) I print out my adj calendar and I print out the weekly scheduling dashboard that shows how many hours I was given and how many my team was scheduled, and i file them incase they ever try to tell me i havent been performing. I also write on the reports what we did like today, my team spent over an hour pushing truck, on friday we spent over 2 hours pushing truck then spent another hour pushing smart huddle.

seeing all this nonsense about payroll, i'm wondering if we're due for a pog overhaul. bet we'll have a brand new q1 priority next year---setting pogs with 1 tm, then it sits empty until the lone sftm can fill it up 2 days later.

btw, if you're having problems with your map accuracy matching your store (or even having the pog names on there)... hq is testing a new system and apparently it's ran into a few glitches. your toy maps will be short footages on the bulk toys and softlines won't be labeled at all. but they are aware, and will try their gosh darn best to get it fixed in time for the next transition.

Im only B volume and they do the same thing. This year my team and I have only managed to get the weekly workload done two weeks. it really stinks. But at the same time my etl and stl dont hassle me either because they understand. I do as much as I can with what I am given and go from there. each weeks I make a solid plan, my team members are all good and for the most part well trained. sometimes like this week I have new tm's that I have to train but market isnt that hard to train someone so itll be ok :) I print out my adj calendar and I print out the weekly scheduling dashboard that shows how many hours I was given and how many my team was scheduled, and i file them incase they ever try to tell me i havent been performing. I also write on the reports what we did like today, my team spent over an hour pushing truck, on friday we spent over 2 hours pushing truck then spent another hour pushing smart huddle.

how do you have time for doing all that paper work? I feel being hussled all week i have no time for it!

Last edited:
lol i dont do the paper work until the last minute honestly. Then i scramble and sit in my office for like 2 hours when I finally have to do filing or whatever. so how does your stl allot hours. for example, my adj calendar says 318 hours for this week for presentation (i am not including signing or sales floor hours) my stl gave us 220 hours. there's no way im getting this weeks work done. its Wednesday I still haven't started market shoes.

my team was pretty ticked this week because I pushed them so hard on Monday. I tried to tell them that unless we got all of shoes (with the revisions) at least set and pushed Monday that we wouldn't get done for the week. they think im just being obtuse. I tried to explain it using the adjacency calendar vs. payroll, but they've heard so much crap about payroll this year (and we always get cut) that they have tuned the message out.
in august, week 1 is the largest (toys). then theres a week with only 30 or 40 hours. WTF CORPORATE??? CAN YOU NOT COUNT? do you realize that a team of four is only 160 hours---if you assign every stupid thing in the same week (hello 300 hour adjacency), we have to kill ourselves, only to turn around and have no paycheck the following week for all our hard work. what happened to work life balance (or at least work balance lol). spread that workload out. come on, you can do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back