I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

So I'm sick with the flu and sick with guilt. I've called out yesterday and then today I tried calling out twice. Once two hours before my shift at 7:15am and again fifteen minutes before. Both times I stayed on the line for five minutes waiting on the ringing. Idk if overnight ignored it or were too busy but no one picked up. I texted my etl directly what was happening and fell back into a fatigue coma. Its gut wrenching to feel like I'm letting my store and ap family down but health is everything and I can't function.
My secondary concern is if my etl has my back am I safe from being in really hot water for this?
Sometimes the night ring doesn't get set up correctly and so nobody in the store knows the phone is even ringing. Texting your ETL would be most helpful if they were working and if they responded back. But even if they were off or didn't respond I wouldn't worry too much.

So I'm about a week from being at my 90 days and today there was a huge snowstorm and my car got stuck in my driveway. I called in but it was only fifteen minutes before my shift. Do you think I'll be okay? This is my first time calling in and I've never been late
Probably fine, unless you're seasonal.

So I'm about a week from being at my 90 days and today there was a huge snowstorm and my car got stuck in my driveway. I called in but it was only fifteen minutes before my shift. Do you think I'll be okay? This is my first time calling in and I've never been late
If you are already on next week's schedule, you're fine. They might get grumbly, but they should let it go.

I am seasonal. I've been working since mid-November. I've never been late, picked up extra shifts when called and I am on the schedule for January (through 1/10 at least).

I had to call out last Sunday, my sister seriously hurt herself and she lives alone 6 hours away. I called the store & spoke to the LOD as I was leaving town, after I got the call from the hospital. (Like 8 hours before my shift).

At first the LOD sounded irritated but as I explained the circumstances she seemed understanding.

I got back in town Wednesday & I'll be back to see her in a few days. I haven't missed any other shifts. Tonight is actually my first shift since calling in. How bad will it be? What might happen?

Last edited:
You called in plenty of time for them to attempt coverage, it was family emergency, this is your first instance?
You should be fine.

For several weeks, I was dealing with unanticipated traffic. I was arriving 6 or 7 minutes after the hour. I received coaching. While I understand that I was technically late, it wasn't that significant and there isn't a shift that goes by where I don't end up staying anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes late because I'm trying to complete something before leaving. In fact, we've been told not to stop in the middle of something and that if we stay a little later, it won't be questioned; it will be approved. So Target is getting more from me than my original scheduled time every day I work. I was peeved by the fact that I had to be coached for being a few minutes late. Given that you can clock in for up to 5 minutes past the scheduled beginning of your shift without repercussions, was it really necessary to say something because I was 1 or 2 minutes past that window?
Well the system flags your file if you're more then 5 mins late. In my area the HRBP confirms that everyone that was late gets a Documented coaching or write up.

Hello! I think I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
I've been working for Target since September & my attendance has been pretty good, I've only called out twice so far & I haven't been late too many times.
Last week I was a NCNS because I had misread my schedule & thought I had to come in a day later. I completely panicked & didn't call the store or anything & just showed up to my next shift in hopes that either someone would talk to me about it or that maybe nobody really cared.
I know that the January hours have dropped a lot (I went from 40 hours to 5 hours this week), however, I noticed that my name is completely missing from the schedule for the upcoming week.

Nobody spoke to me before/during/after my shift & I wasn't given any different treatment.

I don't know if this means I'm totally fired or if it's just a result of the hours dropping. I figured my name would have at least been on the schedule since I have open availability. Is it like a penalty or something? I'm just really confused & want to know if I should start looking for a new job or not lol.

If you were hired in Sept you are way past your 90 days. So, if Spot was going to fire you they would have to dot their I's and cross their T's. I would just to speak to your tl or etl and ask them what is going on .Chances are it could had been a mistake ( I have seen that before) so I wouldn't sit around and worry about it I would just ask them. Just make sure to keep an eye on your schedule so it doesn't happen again.

If you're an early morning TM, do you like to call in the night before and have them leave a note for the morning LOD the next day, or do you call the morning of the shift (before 6 AM). Both assuming you know you're going to miss that day.

If you're an early morning TM, do you like to call in the night before and have them leave a note for the morning LOD the next day, or do you call the morning of the shift (before 6 AM). Both assuming you know you're going to miss that day.
I call the morning of the shift, because it is a guarantee that the person who answers the phone will be exactly who needs to know that I won't be able to make it.

If I call the night before, I have to wait on hold for the LOD to pick up, and then I need to depend on him/her remembering to make a note of it so that I don't get a NCNS.

Ack, I didn't know calling the day before was bad. I thought it'd be better to give them more time to find someone to cover my shift. I'll have to make sure to call the day of from now on.

omg hey team;;;;;-)

So in late June I will be going out of the country for some professional/personal reasons! :) I will be out for nine days though; what do you all think the chances are of getting that time off (without pay of course)?

Last edited:
I have come down with a cough today that is likely bronchitis. I'm supposed to go in at 845 in the morning. Do I just go in and hope I don't cough up a lung on a customer?

I have come down with a cough today that is likely bronchitis. I'm supposed to go in at 845 in the morning. Do I just go in and hope I don't cough up a lung on a customer?

It depends on how management is at your store. I never needed a doctor's note when I called in (i didn't call in that much), but other stores can be different.

I'd set your alarm 2.5 hrs before shift & see how you feel.
If you feel like death warmed over, call in 2 hrs before your shift & ask to speak to the LOD - NO ONE ELSE - so it won't be counted against you.
If you're feeling kinda cruddy you can go in, hack a few & they MIGHT send you home.

I'd set your alarm 2.5 hrs before shift & see how you feel.
If you feel like death warmed over, call in 2 hrs before your shift & ask to speak to the LOD - NO ONE ELSE - so it won't be counted against you.
If you're feeling kinda cruddy you can go in, hack a few & they MIGHT send you home.

That happened to me one time when i felt absolute CRAP but decided to go in anyways. I already called in my last shift and didn't want to do it again.
I was coughing my lungs up and could barley talk but the GSA wouldn't send me home and got mad that i wasn't asking for red cards

That happened to me one time when i felt absolute CRAP but decided to go in anyways. I already called in my last shift and didn't want to do it again.
I was coughing my lungs up and could barley talk but the GSA wouldn't send me home and got mad that i wasn't asking for red cards
GSA can't send anyone home. On my watch, the person needed to say they didn't feel well and wanted to leave and I would go find the LOD. That's about all they can do.

Thanks all! Will an lod be there at 645? I'm still in my ninety days so I definitely don't want to get fired. But right this second there's no way I could work.

Thanks all! Will an lod be there at 645? I'm still in my ninety days so I definitely don't want to get fired. But right this second there's no way I could work.

If the opening LOD isn't in the store that early, there may be a leader from the overnight/early morning team who can take your call.

Damn that's sad. I just went into work with a cough and runny nose (despite my mom practically begging me to call out) and the GSA was basically like "it's ok you can do go backs for your shift it's not busy today anyways and I know you like doing this feel better ok"

but then the STL was like "ayyy how many red cards did u get today" when I started cashiering for the last 30 min of my shift because it got busy

"none because i wasnt even on a register before this"

"now its ur time to shine!!"

"im off in 10 minutes"

"you got this!!"

Back