I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I really dislike the whole 90 day probationary period thing. I think it's kind of a sick game to play with people's financial security because of a silly 90 day period. I had my 30 day review two months after I started and was told I was doing a good job, but I needed to increase red card conversion, which I have no control over past asking if they know about the benefits, and if they would like one. Also, today i found out that our ETL-HR asked a cashier that was hired nearly a month and a half after I was if she wanted to train to do service desk, also they have hired a few new people today, and I don't know what to think anymore.

I think my prospects suffer because I'm not very social at all. I don't really talk to anyone besides some of the other cashiers and occasionally I'll say hello to the brass, but it's akward. I'm always nice and polite to the guests, and push red cards hard, but I just don't talk to my co-workers that much. If I lost my job unexpectedly, I'd be totally screwed.

This.

If I lost my job unexpectedly, I'd be totally screwed.

Get a second job that has guarenteed hours (I did, and at said job I have never gotten less than 30/week, in writing) and you hold your head up high, punch out, and walk out never to return again after a shift at spot. Trust me, it *WORKS*.

Hey guys, I'm a front end team member and I felt terrible one day, but i knew i couldn't call off so I went in anyways, i had terrible nausea and it felt like I was going to pass out, so I'm walking around trying to find the GSTL, and couldn't then I asked some random flow tm what I should do, he called LOD and told me to wait in the back, she asked me what was wrong, I told her i was sick and felt like I was going to be sick at any given moment and that I didn't want to call off, so she was just like yeah you can go home, i said thanks and left.

Think this will this affect my probationary period ? aka get me fired at 90 day review or sooner

your fine, ive seen people do way worse like NCNS, late by 2 hours under 90 days, idk how they made it, mostly because they were good TMs, u came in on your scheduled shift so your fine, i did the same thing my first couple of weeks because i had an ear infection

New policy at my store -- 1 call in is an automatic CA, regardless of reason. If you call in again while on CA, automatic termination.

All I can say in response to that policy is that the ETLs will be the only ones left to push truck.

New policy at my store -- 1 call in is an automatic CA, regardless of reason. If you call in again while on CA, automatic termination.

All I can say in response to that policy is that the ETLs will be the only ones left to push truck.

Highly doubt it happens, Target does not want to pay that much unemployment. Honestly in the last 2 to 3 years at Target I've never seen a person actually get fired for performance.

IMO theirs only 3 ways for target to fire you

1)Steal
2)Seniors or higher forget to lock doors at night or leave keys lying around.

Other than that I have never heard of any TM getting fired for performance outside of their 90 days at my store.

I will add this we are an ultra low volume store, so it doesn't make sense for us to fire a lot of people and up our unemployment tax

Sounds like a classic case of an ETL MSUATG.
It's not policy from Spot and if the store tried to do it they would not get any back up.

Sounds like a classic case of an ETL MSUATG.
It's not policy from Spot and if the store tried to do it they would not get any back up.

Any chance this policy is on workbench so I can tell an ETL to shove it? At my store, I know we only get like in the single digits in terms of applications per week -- not many actually hired due to failing UA's, not showing for orientation, etc. I'm literally concerned about losing half the flow team right before the holidays due to this policy.

Last edited:
the attendance policy on workbench just states that its up to the store. the only policy that is nailed down is FMLA type stuff. its on there under the hr tab. you may have to get clerical to print it for you. this way, they can get you for calling in, and don't have to have a specific # for absenteeism days. so if you have a tm who calls out every friday shift, but he hasnt missed x days, they can still coach based on call out pattern.
your hrbp would have to approve these terms, and i've never seen a tm termed for 2 absences in a 30 day period. i have seen terms for ncns (performance), absenteeism (3x/month he was put on corrective action, then he was coached two more times in 6 months), and being tardy both before/after 90 days. if they coach every single absence, it does help curb absenteeism, and this way they will have proper documentation if the tm keeps laying out and needs to be termed. fyi... if you're out 3 days with the flu, it counts as one instance (supposed to, anyway). and dont forget, if you do have something medical, get the paperwork and take an intermittent fmla if you qualify. it will protect your hours (and your job).

My store started this effective the first week in September.

1 call out = coaching
2 call outs in a 30 day period = auto term.

No way this can be true, then why do I have hundreds of sick hours and growing every week. If I call out (which I don't) but on the rare occasion I do because I am sick I use sick hours, BOOM no loss to me.

This is for real at your stores?? Call out two times in 30 days and you're DONEZO?! That's crazy. Granted, it's been a while since I've called out (knock on wood), but when I get sick... I get SICK. I can totally handle working with any sort of cold or respiratory issue... but if it involves barf, I'm not leaving my house. Why would they WANT me to?

I would like to believe they at least look at the team members' history before termination. I could understand terming the person who calls out twice a month anyways... but not the person who's calling out for the second time this year, in September. I understand the whole employment-at-will, and stores deciding the attendance policy at store level, etc., but something still tells me someone termed for calling out SICK two times in 12 months would have a DAMN good unemployment case. Who the HELL doesn't get sick TWO times in a year?!

I would believe it more if it was a NCNS not call-ins. But if a TM was to get sick or in a crash. Or a family member was in the hospital....think of all the unemployment claims that will be put in against the store.

If I was still working Target, and my store started this crap...I would walk out.

ROFL! Target can kiss the big one, if they think I'm not going to call in when I'm sick. I don't value their underpaid hopeless job that much.

There are some things in here I understand. **** does happen to people...they get sick, accidents happen, etc. But I think it's really something that can't be done with a broad plan and needs to be on a case by case basis. You know who your good workers are and who aren't...and who calls in because they are truly sick or because they have stubbed their toe.

It really sucks when people call off and they never replace anyone so the rest of us have to suffer. But I don't want people coming in who are sick, either. I just want people to act like adults and take responsibility and not call off or NCNS because it's weekend and something better came up.

There are some things in here I understand. **** does happen to people...they get sick, accidents happen, etc. But I think it's really something that can't be done with a broad plan and needs to be on a case by case basis. You know who your good workers are and who aren't...and who calls in because they are truly sick or because they have stubbed their toe.

It really sucks when people call off and they never replace anyone so the rest of us have to suffer. But I don't want people coming in who are sick, either. I just want people to act like adults and take responsibility and not call off or NCNS because it's weekend and something better came up.

They'll realize it soon enough. You could theoretically call in every 31 days and just be on permanent corrective action. But good luck transferring! It's kind of silly that if you're legitimately sick, you'll be put on CA/written up when you come back.

As for TMs who handle food and are legally required to call in when they have certain symptoms? Welp, you can just work in another work center!

They're cracking down since my store has a chronic problem with closing sf people calling in or ncns. Either way, the rationale is ridiculous. It's basically the few hs students who consistently call in that ruined it for rest of us.

Instead of a blanket policy, it really should be handled on a case by case basis. That's management 101. You'd think an ETL / college grad would get that! I'm confident they'll change their approach once it starts backfiring on them. In the meantime, I'm breaking out the popcorn!

Oh yeah, I guess I'll have to stock up on the depends just in case I have diharreha! Also a portable container to hold my vomit when/if I get that sick, come in for my shift and prove a point! Sick TMs will get other TMs sick, which ultimately results in more call ins!

Back