Archived The most crucial and least important roles in the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile Food Ave hasn't even been mentioned bc it's literally just an extension of the store. Lol even I know my position is not super important (other than to feed hungry TMs who forgot their lunch)
This is true. Food Ave is getting phased out in many areas.

Don't get me wrong though. There is value in it. It may not be the biggest profit area, but think of how many kids you give popcorn. Their parents may not be spending as much time in the store (and therefore less money) if their kids aren't distracted by the treats from cafe.

This is true. Food Ave is getting phased out in many areas.

Don't get me wrong though. There is value in it. It may not be the biggest profit area, but think of how many kids you give popcorn. Their parents may not be spending as much time in the store (and therefore less money) if their kids aren't distracted by the treats from cafe.

Yeah our cafe although winding down is pretty amazing. Great place to have interviews wait, provide lunch for orientations, food for team members, distraction for angry guest.

Our top tm over there will often grab guest out of lines to get them out quickly

How many threads have we gone thru this?
Everyone weighs in & it starts turning into a 'my-job-is-more-important-than-yours' dick-measuring contest.
In the end, everyone's roles are crucial & - like a final round of Jenga - you don't realize it until one of those components is missing & the store implodes.

If nothing else, haven't we learned this with E2E?

I feel like a decent amount of people would say AP based on what they DON'T see us doing.

Granted, the store could run without us. If the TPS calls out, the zones are still probably getting done. It's what we do that people don't see that makes us useful.
Although with the current TPS expectations, a 85 year old retiree could do our job. Wish it could go back to the way it used to be before the TPS Vibe.

Electronics is mostly useless? ASANTS man, I easily do more work than the rest of the non-TL sales floor combined on some days. AND I cashier, and get red cards.

Every single position is important to effectively running the store. The store won't see the traffic it does without every single department.

YES job responsibilities can be reassigned and jobs eliminated/retitled, but every single responsibility is extremely important in running the store.

In a previous company I was an ETL over salesfloor and HR at the same time and it was absolutely impossible to do both well. And we weren't in charge of schedules!

I think the most important role is the cross trained tm. This past week I have pushed freight, helped set planograms, done SFQ, filled back plano sets, pulled and worked research, manual, and CAF pulls, backstocked, worked the instocks task list, cashiered, backed up guest service, covered electronics, researched several departments, done RFID, helped with ship from store, pulled and worked out discontinued items into MPG aisles, zoned, "sold" redcards and service plans, trained 2 tms, and provided great guest service ( which guests wrote comment cards about). Having worked in almost (not all) workcenters in one week (not really unusual for many tms in our store), I can assure you that not a single workcenter is more important than any other. They are all crucial in having a successful store. (BTW - electronics tms may think that they sell the most high ticket items, but the reality is that it is more likely to be domestics . Comforter sets with added pillows, vacuums and rugs are often over a hundred bucks, very few people will buy just one towel ... we sell a lot more of these than we do game systems.)

In my opinion definitely cashier. Without the cashier we wouldn’t have anyone to generate and ring up sales/nor red cards. We would have all self checkouts and very angry guests and we would lose sales. This is why guest first is crucial and ensuring we make it a fast, fun, and friendly experience for all of our guests. What’s the purpose of the people who unload the truck or salesfloor or a GSTL/GSA if the product never makes it out the door in the first place and the GSTL/GSA has no one to manage?

AP is another crucial one. Without AP we would have an incredible amount of loss and i truly do respect this role.

HRTMs we could do without and just have ONE srTL HR or ETL-HR per store. I also truly don’t understand the role of “beauty”. All they kind of are are glorified Sephora team members tbh. I know they’re there to provide excellent guest service/experience and to sell products but I’ve met some beauty TMS who don’t know a thing about make up.

Cart attendants are an extreme asset to me as well. I don’t know what I’d do without them.

VML is pretty useless as well. They’re a glorified Salesfloor TL. (Not even TL anymore per say).

Electronics team members are borderline not very useful as well. I mean honestly anyone could do electronics with half a brain.

I’ve gone to stores also where the PMT is absolutely lazy as fuck and is far from being useful. (Can’t say this for all)

ETL salesfloor? Never understood that concept. ETL-LOG could very well run that like some store do.

PA’s.. never understood that one either.

And fuck target please get rid of the GSA role. GSAs are severely underpaid. Make all current qualified ones a GSTL and make it SRGSTL/GSTL instead of GSTL/GSA.

I know I️ am probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but these are just my opinions.
Wait ,you don’t understand PA’s , but you understand GSA’s? You were making some sense until I read the GSA part. Sounds like you dont know anything. You just like to hear the sound of your own voice. You are clueless and think your opinion matters. It doesn’t. So crawl back in the hole you came out of. Or learn what a PA is.

lol Is this the same ETL-HR that sat in to observe you and takes notes on how to run orientations?

I had something similar happen to me too. A few years ago, I went on a short vacation that lasted less than a week. When I returned, my ETL-HR told me that he realized how important I was while I was gone because our scores turned red. He was like, I need you here to keep us green. Haha.

I came back and interviews weren't screened. Apparel interviews with no experience or fashion interest. Punch corrections not done. Vouchers unprocessed. No payroll reports or compliance printed. Calendar from last month still up. No food on FFF days. Lol

Wait ,you don’t understand PA’s , but you understand GSA’s? You were making some sense until I read the GSA part. Sounds like you dont know anything. You just like to hear the sound of your own voice. You are clueless and think your opinion matters. It doesn’t. So crawl back in the hole you came out of. Or learn what a PA is.
You make no sense because i clearly specified that target should eliminate the GSA position.

PA doesn’t really have a team to run or manage and I️ see some stores attempting to utilize them for this.

Seriously don't understand the point of this thread.... Target wouldn't make something a paid position unless it was needed... all postions are honestly equally important.. without log we could never even get the product, without Hardlines/softlines we could never push the product, without TLs the HL/SL TM's wouldn't know what to do, without cashiers no one could buy anything, without GSTLS nobody could help the cashiers... the list goes on. All roles at spot are dependent upon all of the other roles, that's why we're called TEAM members. Because we're a team.
Finish this sentence: without a VMTL, we wouldn't be able to ___________

You make no sense because i clearly specified that target should eliminate the GSA position.

PA doesn’t really have a team to run or manage and I️ see some stores attempting to utilize them for this.
No ,you are sympathetic to the GSA’s. You think they should be promoted to GSTL. PA’s however you dont know about. You dont know what PA’s are all about. Yet you express your opinion as though you are some sort of authority, when it comes to roles with in target. Shame on you. Shame on your belittling and self absorbed persona.

No ,you are sympathetic to the GSA’s. You think they should be promoted to GSTL. PA’s however you dont know about. You dont know what PA’s are all about. Yet you express your opinion as though you are some sort of authority, when it comes to roles with in target. Shame on you. Shame on your belittling and self absorbed persona.

Ignore him, he's a fool who thinks the front is the most important part of the store because the guest hand them the money. Nevermind the guest would be shopping at wal mart if it wasn't for the rest of us.

Although with the current TPS expectations, a 85 year old retiree could do our job. Wish it could go back to the way it used to be before the TPS Vibe.
True. TPS talent has gone way downhill. The last guy I trained was a total slob and lazy as hell. They can't attract qualified and experienced LP professionals with what they want TPS's doing now. But as for my OP I guess I just meant AP as a workcenter. TPS's specifically, if we're talking company expectations, yeah. They don't need us. TPS's that actually know their business and get results (a rare breed now), they'd miss us if we all left.

Keep our displays looking awesome and guest ready. Who wants to buy something from a table that's completely destroyed and covered in dust?

That's just a TL's job? Don't all of the team zone their areas?

Keep our displays looking awesome and guest ready. Who wants to buy something from a table that's completely destroyed and covered in dust?

Get half of Softlines done. My VMTL did more work than most of my softlines team combined.

Seems like things any regular SLTM could do. My store literally wouldn't skip a beat if the VM position mysteriously disappeared one day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back