Archived The most crucial and least important roles in the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, me too! It's so much easier now. It's like one of the few things that I actually like about the new myTime so far. This new myTime keeps freezing on me whenever I try to edit a schedule for just one TM.

Yeah Friday I got a red wire that you can't delete shifts, "please don't call CSC during this known outage", lol then fix it you bums

expanding on why GSTL/GSA isn't useless (from the top of my head):

-guests definitely notice when they aren't speedweaving. how do I know? because they're COMPLAINING TO ME THAT THE LINE WAS SO DAMN LONG! people shop at Target because they don't wan't to go to Walmart.
-somebody needs to make sure that cashiers/guest service/SCO get their breaks
-somebody needs to be available to check IDs for alcohol when a minor is cashiering
-somebody needs to be available to call out to other departments (for backup cashiers, price checks, to grab an item for a guest) because most cashiers don't have walkies
-somebody needs to be able to provide override codes at guest service

who is gonna do those things? I know our policies pretty well but that's simply not enough to replace having a GSTL/GSA.

[QUOTE="RightArm, post: 390461 So I don't get why you're singling out CAs. [/QUOTE]
Because you don't need specialized training to get carts

You need lot of practice and training to do Plano, and backroom quickly and accurately, as show from the huge drop in backroom score since e2e started

Anyone can grab carts. If you even went shopping you probably put a cart back somewhere and you probably helped a parent or relative bring something to their car

In the grand scheme they aren't "needed" as much as other specialized TMs. They work hard, I acknowledge that but Toy R Us gets along just fine without one. Most stores can, especially since they are overstaffed for 4Q

Target makes a lot of dumb metrics, like calling for backup every 4 seconds. The guest can wait, they do at Walmart and Walmart is in the lead so....

expanding on why GSTL/GSA isn't useless (from the top of my head):

-guests definitely notice when they aren't speedweaving. how do I know? because they're COMPLAINING TO ME THAT THE LINE WAS SO DAMN LONG! people shop at Target because they don't wan't to go to Walmart.
-somebody needs to make sure that cashiers/guest service/SCO get their breaks
-somebody needs to be available to check IDs for alcohol when a minor is cashiering
-somebody needs to be available to call out to other departments (for backup cashiers, price checks, to grab an item for a guest) because most cashiers don't have walkies
-somebody needs to be able to provide override codes at guest service

who is gonna do those things? I know our policies pretty well but that's simply not enough to replace having a GSTL/GSA.
All these can be fixed by having a trusted TM, not hiring minors and a competent ETL that doesn't sit their office all day discussing lunch plans.

I see almost all the other TLs getting down and dirty with their team while the gstl just speed weaves or overrides returns for items they were bought 2 years ago

Simply having s GSA would be better. There doesn't need to be TL for front end at TL pay

That's the whole issue people have with the GSA spot. It's pretty much the same thing for way less pay. Even target knows this

Electronics team members are borderline not very useful as well. I mean honestly anyone could do electronics with half a brain.

If that were true, I would be seeing more TM's with the ability to answer a Guest question without having to cry for an Electronics TM to assist.
The quick test I usually give is: What is the difference between the Standard and Pro versions of the HDMI cords?

All positions are important to the store. During the holiday season, there is no way on earth that a select few TM's would be able to keep the store in good shape. (If you think Target hasn't run scenarios looking at how to maximize profits with the lowest staff numbers.... think again)

All these can be fixed by having a trusted TM, not hiring minors and a competent ETL that doesn't sit their office all day discussing lunch plans.

I see almost all the other TLs getting down and dirty with their team while the gstl just speed weaves or overrides returns for items they were bought 2 years ago

Simply having s GSA would be better. There doesn't need to be TL for front end at TL pay

That's the whole issue people have with the GSA spot. It's pretty much the same thing for way less pay. Even target knows this

ASANTS. GSTL is the most feared position in my ultra high volume store. I'm trying to work my way out.

GSTLs are responsible for way more than you think. Also not every TL is the same. There are lazy sales floor TLs that don't get "down and dirty".

GSTL is a mentally draining role and if you're in a store like mine with $300k+ sales goals, it'll crush your spirit. If all your GSTL is doing is speed weaving then that's just someone doing paint by numbers and all positions can have that given the person.

With that being said I always say GSAs are underpaid. GSTLs are definitely responsible for a lot more though. The stuff in the backend that you won't see. Actually responsible for the direction of the GSA too like ETLs are responsible for thier TLs. I was promoted from GSA to GSTL and it's a different world.

Last edited:
I wanna chime in on what the OP said:
PA doesn’t really have a team to run or manage and I️ see some stores attempting to utilize them for this.

Ummm, yes we do. When the Food TL is not working, we food assistants have to run the pfresh truck unload, breakout and sign the paperwork which the market team members refuse to do. We give directions to the market team members on what needs to get done and make sure all pulls, push and backstock gets done.

Target makes a lot of dumb metrics, like calling for backup every 4 seconds. The guest can wait, they do at Walmart and Walmart is in the lead so....

Lots of flaws in your thinking.

Wal-Mart generally has better prices than Target. People would be willing to wait at Target if our prices were that low. Because we don't match their prices we have to beat them in other areas, one of those being fast checkout.

ASANTS. GSTL is the most feared position in my ultra high volume store. I'm trying to work my way out.

GSTLs are responsible for way more than you think. Also not every TL is the same. There are lazy sales floor TLs that don't get "down and dirty".

GSTL is a mentally draining role and if you're in a store like mine with $300k+ sales goals, it'll crush your spirit. If all your GSTL is doing is speed weaving then that's just someone doing paint by numbers and all positions can have that given the person.

With that being said I always say GSAs are underpaid. GSTLs are definitely responsible for a lot more though. The stuff in the backend that you won't see. Actually responsible for the direction of the GSA too like ETLs are responsible for thier TLs. I was promoted from GSA to GSTL and it's a different world.
I wouldn't factor mental strength into the usefulness of a role

Maybe you'll want to enlighten me on the the stuff in the backend that I won't see? Because things like hangers, getting bags and the like are handled by backroom in my store while cash office is handled by ETLs.

Lots of flaws in your thinking.

Wal-Mart generally has better prices than Target. People would be willing to wait at Target if our prices were that low. Because we don't match their prices we have to beat them in other areas, one of those being fast checkout.
What? My store price matches Walmart all the time.

What? My store price matches Walmart all the time.

Huge difference between price matching wal mart and offering the same low regular prices.

Not everyone is knowledgeable of or willing to price match every single item in their cart so they shop at the cheaper place.

If everyone did their jobs perfectly there would be no need for management.

But people aren't perfect. They don't come into a job knowing everything.

And suggesting the gstl is useless? Half the time there would be no one on registers if there wasn't someone dedicated to making decisions. They would be off in the candy room, in food ave, conditioning bullseye, and the rest would be on lunch.

Heck yea. Obese and morbidly obese TM's love gathering carts!!!

Just ask em!
Hey, I gotta deal with them to. We used to have a BRTL that couldn't fit in the wave.

Most of out Obese TMs are cashiers or softlines now

They should know that "anyone can grab carts!"

Didn't you hear???

ANYONE can grab carts!

b97Y1xK.gif

Yeah, any able TM. You're trying way too hard at this, Most hired TMs can get one. If you can walk you can push a cart. It's not an insult, it's life

But... but... it's soooooo _____ outside!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back