Archived The Official 9PM Black Friday Rage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it's like wildfire: feed it & it grows, consuming all in its path but hard to extinguish.

Ehh, if I wanted holidays off I wouldn't have gotten a job in retail.
Going to have to cut my dinner short, but not sweating it. Lucky and blessed to have a job atleast while there are PLENTY of people who would GLADLY come in on Thanksgiving at 9pm or later and get a paycheck.

I've been with Target long enough to realize these things. Either deal with it or get out of retail, no sense in complaining because quite frankly, you won't be getting anywhere with that.

We all work in retail and we all knew that working on Black Friday was mandatory.
I really don't know of any household/family/anything that has their dinner at 9pm on Thanksgiving, so it's not as if this is cutting it short. Sure, it's interrupting time I could be spending with my family but we work in retail and that is curse of working in retail.

I'm just glad I open and get that extra three hours of shift differential and time and a half and work for a 8 hour shift and can sleep peacefully in the arms of my fiancee when he gets home from his unfortunate shift at a retail store.

Someone at my store took someones shift because it fit in perfectly and is doing 8pm thanksgiving- 5pm black friday

We all work in retail and we all knew that working on Black Friday was mandatory.
I really don't know of any household/family/anything that has their dinner at 9pm on Thanksgiving, so it's not as if this is cutting it short. Sure, it's interrupting time I could be spending with my family but we work in retail and that is curse of working in retail.

I'm just glad I open and get that extra three hours of shift differential and time and a half and work for a 8 hour shift and can sleep peacefully in the arms of my fiancee when he gets home from his unfortunate shift at a retail store.

You clearly don't travel 3 hours to get to Thanksgiving dinner. So yes, in that case, dinner and family time is cut very short. And as for peaceful sleep? I dunno....8 hours and then back to work in 9 hours for another 8 hours? I dunno how peaceful that sleep is going to feel in between.

And this folks is why I ended my time in retail. Well that and Target has been on a downward spiral for years. First holidays in 10 years I will enjoy.

You clearly don't travel 3 hours to get to Thanksgiving dinner. So yes, in that case, dinner and family time is cut very short. And as for peaceful sleep? I dunno....8 hours and then back to work in 9 hours for another 8 hours? I dunno how peaceful that sleep is going to feel in between.

8 hours? How many clopens have you done? I've gotten home at 1:30 and had to leave for work at 7, so that leaves 5.5 hours to sleep, eat, shower, dress, etc. I know lots of you are upset about working Black Friday, but you have the choice of being upset or dealing with it and making the best of it. It's one day a year. BFD.

Oh, and you don't have to travel 3 hours to get to Thanksgiving Dinner. Your family knows you work retail at Target. Have dinner another day. My husband and I been in retail forever so we've always had to plan vacations, days off, family gatherings around fourth quarter. Our family still loves us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...well, here's the thing. My grandmother is spending her first major holiday alone without her husband of 60+ years....if I don't go, and if my parents also use the "we work retail and can't travel either" card, then Grandma spends the holiday alone. So it isn't as easy as it seems sometimes.

Clopens for me mean leave at 10:30pm, back at 8am. That's 9 and a half hours of time when I get to sleep on a normal sleep cycle.

I'm not really upset about working it...I'm upset about the consumeristic greed. And I'm annoyed this is what it has come to. And I'll be there with a smile on and ready to do what is needed to be done. I just dislike that this is what society has come down to: work and boss first, the family and important stuff, second. Thankfully after I graduate, my next line of work should be able to straighten that out a bit more. And it breaks my heart to see people have to scramble to change plans with family and friends and put relationships second so they can keep their commitment to their employer.

Deleted because sounding self righteous is never a good idea. Sorry for all of you who are unhappy about working Thursday and Friday. Better luck next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm raging because my ETLs are morons, absolute grade A morons. The hours dumped, they set the schedule, and by they I mean the HR person. So guess what she did? Her job, she plugged the hours where the system told her to. BECAUSE NO ONE BOTHERED TO WRITE A PLAN. Now the schedule is totally jacked, no one is being scheduled on wednesday night to prep for Black friday, and our entertainment, toys and electronics team are being given 30 minutes before the doors open to set all the flat stack. We were already told we have to cut 700 hours before black friday kicks in, so now they're sending people home this week and telling people over the phone that two or three of their shifts next week are being cut.

Merry ****ing Thanksgiving.

this thanksgiving will be the 2nd thanksgiving without my grandma being there, she died a few days before thanksgiving last year, wasnt the same without her there, so working the whole night is fine by me, because my thanksgivings will never be the same

Whether or not you're ok with "I signed up for a retail job deal with it" or not, the FACT is that there really isn't a whole hell of a lot of time to make special arrangements seeing as how they didn't let us know what time we'd be opening until the last possible second. THAT is what pisses me off, that and the fact that they knew but kept it hush hush because they knew it would piss people off. Well, guess what, now we're understaffed because people just up and quit because of it. Great job there!

And the obligatory "rage about black friday" thread this year has begun....

Posting my obiligatory "knew what i was getting into when i started retail" comment.

See ya guys next year.

I get that it's retail but when I accepted this job many years ago we actually opened on Friday. It is not fair that the hours change at the last minute not giving poeple enough time to prepare. If Target is going to change its hours, it should be with much more notice. My schedule isn't even up yet...

I'm wondering if i'm going to be put on a check lane for most of Black Friday. From what i've heard meat and dairy are quiet for most of the day .

I'm okay with my hours, and with losing thanksgiving morning and evening to work, because I had the luxury of volunteering.

I'm also okay with people calling out for family. There are very good reasons to spend time with family, and I'm willing to work that miniscule amount harder to compensate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back