I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I believe they did this because people were committing fraud. They were getting people buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff, then withdrawing their money from the account before the red card transaction cleared. Then they were returning it the same or next day and getting cash.

I show guests the screen. If you enter the GSTL override, cash will come up - but I refuse to do it. I offer store credit instead.

Yeah, we've overridden it a couple of times when the guests start screaming because the website still says you can get cash back.

yeah its a system update. we just need to mysupport that it says they can get cash back on the website and its updated to auto credit the account

Was there any communication on this? My ETL is still saying it's a glitch, and over override it as needed until it's "fixed." Honestly, they sent me the annual privacy policy stuff in the mail the other day, and I barely glanced at it before I threw it away, so I'm curious as well if it is on that.

I just looked on the terms of agreement on the website (you know, that stuff we should read but nobody does) and it says returns will be done as an eft back to your bank account. It says nothing about cash. Not sure if that's a change or if it's always said that.

What a pain.

Last edited:
noticed this yesterday at my store too. the customer didn't even want cash, just a gift card. it caught us all by surprise. nice to know it's not just us, I guess.

Changed for us earlier this week, we override for cash any time they want cash.

I'm not all about annoying the hordes of honest guests to stick it to the few scam-artists. Especially since those scam artists already get nailed with huge overage fees even if the funds aren't there by the time it clears.

What kills me is this is not the type of scammer we see. We see the coupon scams, the return fraud scams, blah, blah, blah, that corporate "makes" us take back. But instead, they seem to be fixing a problem that doesn't seem to me to be an entirely huge issue...especially since getting the money back to the account takes forever. And I've heard enough horror stories about people not getting their refunds credited to them (from all sorts of places like Walmart, Target, etc) that make me think getting it back in cash whenever possible is the way to go.

I was backing up several times at the service desk today and was prepared for it when it didn't require the Target debit card to be present anymore for the refund. But then another time today I backed up and it did require it and the option for "card not here" was back. Not sure why it would be different for different guests.

I was backing up several times at the service desk today and was prepared for it when it didn't require the Target debit card to be present anymore for the refund. But then another time today I backed up and it did require it and the option for "card not here" was back. Not sure why it would be different for different guests.

Are you sure it was a red card for the latter scenario? Standard debit cards it still makes us swipe the card, and offers cash back for, it's only the target debit card that seems to have changed.

Are you sure it was a red card for the latter scenario? Standard debit cards it still makes us swipe the card, and offers cash back for, it's only the target debit card that seems to have changed.

Yeah, I'm sure. I even had told the guest we no longer needed the red card to return to her account... And then it came up asking her to slide her card.

BUT... we were having major network errors today so things might have gotten screwy because of that.

We were too. Stickers at GS weren't printing half the day, PDA's weren't working, and even early in the day when they were working, I had to log in as a Salesfloor TM because if I tried to log in as GSA or GSTL it said it couldn't authenticate my eHR password, so no prompts.

Changed for us earlier this week, we override for cash any time they want cash.

I'm not all about annoying the hordes of honest guests to stick it to the few scam-artists. Especially since those scam artists already get nailed with huge overage fees even if the funds aren't there by the time it clears.

We've had this happen at our store a couple of times...and the amount of money "gift cards" easily racks up to $400.....then the cheats send someone else in the store to do more returns....and another couple of hundred dollars goes back on to a gift card. At guest service we can't tell the people that we can't take the return back, especially when the items being returned come up on the gift card.

Our store is across the street from a big strip mall and these scammers will do this to the other big stores....so there is a lot of money that could be stolen.

I've been telling guests (w/debit cards) that their refund will go right back on to their card....and press K1 before they have the chance to say anything. Because once it is"back on the card" guests don't want to have to wait for a GSA or GSTL to come over to do a post-void.

Another thing to tell them....as they are asking for cash back is to remind them that if they shop & use their cash they'll lose out on their 5% discount.....but mostly I try the K1 thing first.

We were too. Stickers at GS weren't printing half the day, PDA's weren't working, and even early in the day when they were working, I had to log in as a Salesfloor TM because if I tried to log in as GSA or GSTL it said it couldn't authenticate my eHR password, so no prompts.

If it won't accept your password, or the guest is staring at you and you are too much in s hurry, when it gets to the password screen, just hit toggle. It will allow you into pretty much everything, but you won't get alerts.

Been having to use the GSTL over ride to give the guest their cash back if they used the debit red card. I am understanding that in CA any store must give the option for cash back when a debit card is used. Could be wrong on that though.

I haven't noticed this particular issue yet, but the other night my Service Desk TM called me over to override a Target.com return. It was a pretty basic return; guest had two scannable invoices (all for shoes), the dates were fine, and she had paid with her Target Debit Card. But, the system made me enter the daily override every time we scanned a pair of boots she ordered. Then, for recommended refund it kept wanting to give her back all of the money on her Debit Card, minus $10.xx to be issued as "Credit". Guest also swore she was getting more back than what she paid for. Beats me...

On one hand this isn't particularly related, but on the other, I noticed it started right around the time we got the update for debit returns.

When a guest is checking out and uses their RedCard, it used to show the new total on the screen after you hit total and they swiped their card (even if it was sometimes delayed). Now after they swipe their card, where a total would appear shows up blank. Noticed it this weekend when I was on register and originally thought nothing on it, figuring it was some sort of glitch in the system. But after covering at the service desk today and noticing it again, wondering if something is up with that as well.

Ok here is the deal if they return items with their debit red card it goes back to the card automatically but if they have the receipt instead it gives the choice for cash back after hitting K1

Not at our store, receipt still leads to no cash option, not for the redcard anyway.

What kills me is this is not the type of scammer we see. We see the coupon scams, the return fraud scams, blah, blah, blah, that corporate "makes" us take back. But instead, they seem to be fixing a problem that doesn't seem to me to be an entirely huge issue...especially since getting the money back to the account takes forever. And I've heard enough horror stories about people not getting their refunds credited to them (from all sorts of places like Walmart, Target, etc) that make me think getting it back in cash whenever possible is the way to go.

I don't have AP experience with Target, but at my current company we do track and monitor those types of scams. It's safe to assume that if there's serious loss happening with those, there's an open investigation on that individual(s) somewhere that's being worked. There isn't much that can be done immediately at a store level other than just denying the returns and coupons, so it doesn't seem like much can be done; but (at least for us) it doesn't end there! :)

I don't have AP experience with Target, but at my current company we do track and monitor those types of scams. It's safe to assume that if there's serious loss happening with those, there's an open investigation on that individual(s) somewhere that's being worked. There isn't much that can be done immediately at a store level other than just denying the returns and coupons, so it doesn't seem like much can be done; but (at least for us) it doesn't end there! :)

I know we have a investigation center and that is likely tracking all of this. The lack of immediate results just drives me crazy. I really want to "casually" mention to people that all of this stuff is tracked and investigated as the company sees fit, but I'm sure that wouldn't help anything.

I believe they did this because people were committing fraud. They were getting people buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff, then withdrawing their money from the account before the red card transaction cleared. Then they were returning it the same or next day and getting cash.

I show guests the screen. If you enter the GSTL override, cash will come up - but I refuse to do it. I offer store credit instead.

I'm confused as to how this works? Does the REDcard debit transaction not immediately take hold of the funds in their checking account? So what your saying is someone buys a $25 item, buys with with red card debit, leaves and goes to bank, takes out the $25, returns for cash and gets $25 totaling $50. If they put that money in their checking account, won't they just get hit with the red card transaction a few days later still?

Back