I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

They tried the free popcorn at my store for opening up redcards ( my gstl wanted to try it out) and needless to say the etl wasn't happy at all and she said no more popcorn and suddenly one cashier was still doing it and then the GSTLS said the next person I find out is still giving out popcorn will be written up so ya bad idea....... Our store is a small store and I swear half the guests already have a redcard so obviously when we ask they already got them so what are you going to do open another redcard ( don't think so) and the other half are old school who never want to part with those checks so getting them to open a redcard pretty impossible....

Apparently it's just my luck that we're suddenly emphasising red cards in electronics after I show up there. They said that it wasn't a major focus before but with how awful we've been doing w reds overall and the fact that electronics like never gets them (again- wasn't really an emphasis then), it's time to start pushing them like them cashiers do. And according to the STL I was chosen to be a new electronics TM to "deliver a front end experience in electronics" which just means nothing but red cards. Which I still don't get because I'm god awful at getting them, a point I kept bringing up to my lady, a HLTL who again is rolling me into submission, getting me to happily coo, "anything for you, my lady." So now I'm back at pushing red cards, this time, with gusto

And I've still gotten a whole 0 in the couple weeks I've been back there. Ah well, c'est la vie at least I'm actually trying this time

A GSA at my store was telling me that during the next week or so that we'll have different TMs from stores coming to see if we are really asking guests about RedCards....the catch is that the TMs coming in are supposed to be dressed in "plain" clothes so that we've no idea who they are..

Oh great. I hope other stores don't decide to do this because....no, no, no. :(:mad:

So the lead just walked cashier to cashier explaining how if we don't ask every single person we're going to get written up. She did his while we were with customers. I don't find that appropriate. When she walked away my customer was like, are you serious?!

Until the penetration rate is 100%, we'll have to keep asking about those damn Redcards!
Today, our whole store got only ONE RedCard......on a goal of 13.

I either open with, are you saving 5% with your red card today or would you like to save 5% with a red card today. I was told this isn't a good tactic. What should I say?!

Do ya wanna get a red caaaaaaaaaaaaaaard?
Saving 5% each daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?
Don't really wanna whine; my job is on the line.
It's the only waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
I used to give great service once but now that's gone;
What are ya gonna dooooooooooooooooooo?
Do ya wanna get a red card?
Debit toooooooooooooooo.

*Do you wanna build a snowman

Do ya wanna get a red caaaaaaaaaaaaaaard?
Saving 5% each daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?
Don't really wanna whine; my job is on the line.
It's the only waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
I used to give great service once but now that's gone;
What are ya gonna dooooooooooooooooooo?
Do ya wanna get a red card?
Debit toooooooooooooooo.

*Do you wanna build a snowman

LMAO, maybe if I sign that and dance to it, guests will sign up???

I either open with, are you saving 5% with your red card today or would you like to save 5% with a red card today. I was told this isn't a good tactic. What should I say?!

I keep getting told to "find what works best for you."
Well, if I could find what is best for me, then why do you think I'm asking for help?

I think that most of the time it is sheer luck to get a RedCard.
I had my work review and was told that "based on the number of transactions you had, you should have gotten 140 RedCards this past year." I got 75 cards....which is more than I got last year.....but I was expected to get 140. That means about three cards a week.....OK....and how am I supposed to get them? And the answer here is "find what works best for you." and "Keep trying."

The most important thing with Target has to do with all the work scores and metrics.....and even if you reach a goal by the full 100% they'll tell you that you haven't done enough.
So, just know that 100% of goal is a failure.
Once you get this "rule" memorized then life at Target does get a bit easier.

So when I'm up front, I have this problem where I ask the first time and get denied, I stop asking out of fear of angering the guest. I'm afraid they'll be rude! Well it's because one time I tried that and a lady was rude towards me.....But how can I get over this fear???

I think it's a fear everyone has because at this point if someone wanted one they would have gotten one. I wouldn't push after one time if you see they're getting angry. I overheard one of the cashiers say "will this be on your red card today? " and if they say no they say "would you like to sign up for one and save 5 percent today and everyday?" which gets 2 mentions right off the bat. You could try that route.

I always say, " do you have a red card?" If they say yes, I'm done with the RC spiel. If they say, "no" then I ask them if they'd like to take 3 minutes to sign up for one to save $$ on today's purchases. If they say no again, I drop it. Idk but it works for me. At my store, we need to try and get one RC per shift. I usually can.

I have a few responses I use - but to be honest I'm not the best at getting red cards either. So depending on the guest that you are talking to - if they are younger I tend to joke around with them more "NO? Really? Well, if you change your mind we'll be here!" That way you don't have that awkward silence after they turn you down. Another response is not to "sell them" on getting one right then - but to educate them on the card so maybe they will sign up on their next trip. I'll say - "I got the debit card option, because I don't know about you, but I don't need any more bills in the mail!" I'm finding a lot of people that still don't know we have a debit card option. If they are like "Debit card?" I explain how it's like the one your bank issues but has the Target logo and saves them 5%. If they are still "not interested" I just joke with them "No problem - let me know if you change your mind!" And then move on to ask if they have coupons or cartwheel for me to scan.

Not for naught, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the OP was a company shill.

It's what I'd do if I was them.

aaf_shifty.gif

but i'm not them...

If you ask someone if they want something and they say no, then that means NO. Imagine sitting in the drive through and being asked .... Do you want a drink with that? You say no. "But what will you wash this down with?" No. "But think of all the benefits of liquid." NO!!!!!!!! "Well, if you change your mind, we'll be here." Gosh thanks. Or maybe you won't after opening and closing hundreds of stores in Canada. Lol

At Mcdonalds the rule about suggestive selling is that you DON'T if the customer says "and that's all."

When you do, you only push one item. That's IT!

I usually ask if they have one and if they say no then i ask "would you like to sign up for either a credit or a debit and save 5% everytime you shop here?" that way you're only asking about it simply (not too pushy) but you also get the debit card option out there as well, because that's usually what they'll go for. i hate being too pushy though.
Also i don't do this all the time, some shifts i barely ask because i'm just not feeling it that day.

Back