I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

This has been bothering me for a while now, but one of our top red card earners lies pretty often to get red csrds. Saying they're no interest, you don't need decent credit to get it etc. I know it's technically none of my business but they're constantly praising her, letting her get away with going on break early, and the like. I'm just sick of leaders telling us "she got 5 red cards today and you don't have any" I just wanna scream it's because she freaking lies. Is there anything I can do other than go to HR? She's been there a few years and I'm sure she'll lie about it, but if I were to say something and it comes back to me, i know she'll, she my life hell. Is there anything I can do?

When she says no interest, perhaps she's talking about the Target debit card? Also, "you don't need decent credit to get it" is not really a lie. I got a red card with no credit history. If she's been doing it for years and no one has caught on, then I don't think there's much you can do unfortunately =/ Target just cares about the numbers.

No she says it about the credit. I've never really heard her lie about he debit because there's no need to there, but when I hear these thing I always pay attentionton to if she scans a check

You can try integrity hotline and remain anonymous. Probably the most they'll do is retrain team members about the policy. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone instore, they probably think your jealous or a snitch. It's not worth in my opinion.

The red card queen at my store does that... whenever she signs someone up for a card she always walks around the register and fills in information for them. It also seems like she's kinda like, predatory about it; from what I heard she always signs up guests who can barely speak English. It's really questionable.

You for sure know for a fact that she said "No Interest" in reference to the credit card? It makes more sense to me that she'd say that about the debit card. That's one of my main selling points when someone seems interested. One of my lines are, "It's totally free, no interest or fees." I say that in reference to the debit card. If the guest inquires about credit, THEN I tell them that's the one that's just your basic credit card, and thus there is a credit check as well as interest.

I'm also skeptical she'd be saying that, and that guests would actually believe it and not call her out. I can't even sell a debit card without some idiot guest telling me all their conspiracy theories about banks and cards. Don't go compromising her job, if you're not completely sure. You're relying on what you hear via eavesdropping. Hell, just ask her yourself. She's a top performer, pretend you want tips. "When you say zero interest, are you talking about the Credit Card?" It's that simple.

She's said before no interest just an annual fee, and she does the same thing as griezmanns red card queen, but not as much foreigners, more so confused elderly. And she'll sit there and answer almost every question for them.

She's said before no interest just an annual fee, and she does the same thing as griezmanns red card queen, but not as much foreigners, more so confused elderly. And she'll sit there and answer almost every question for them.

Again, talk to her and find out for yourself. You don't sound like you have definite proof other than what you overhear. If you DID have more definite proof, I'd say go to your GSTL. Why would an annual fee even be better than interest? Why would one even create that lie? That's not a better selling point. Why didn't you say she said that at the beginning as well?

She's said before no interest just an annual fee
Well that's just plain weird. Why lie and say there isn't any interest and then lie and say there is an annual fee?

Anyway, go to your ETL-HR and/or STL. Tell them that you overheard this stuff. She'll probably lie about it or have her side or whatever, so they should try to overhear it for themselves, or get a second source. Maybe you could even ask your GSTL(s) if they've heard anything. If it's your word against hers, then it's a stalemate. You need more people on your side.

I always told them there was no interest if they paid their bill in full each month. Needless to say, some people didn't like that. :cool:

I said this as well. Got more than a few nasty looks. No one believes in using credit cards responsibly anymore, they just want 5 years to pay it back with the least interest possible. It don't work like that.

Going back to the OP's question, yes lying about the benefits of the REDcard is a big no no, unless of course your store's leadership has questionable ethics and is hurting sorely to reach its metrics. Back when I was at Spot, our "REDcard queen" was termed for being deceptive with guests about the benefits. She would outright lie and say it was a rewards card, or tell them they were signing up for the debit when it was really the credit. She had excellent numbers but these deceptive tactics went on for months and leadership knew about it. They really did not want to fire her; our numbers went to shit as soon as they did. Pretty sad that the only way some stores can make goal is by literally committing fraud.

Funnily enough, that termed cashier now works at the same company I do. Small world.

Going back to the OP's question, yes lying about the benefits of the REDcard is a big no no, unless of course your store's leadership has questionable ethics and is hurting sorely to reach its metrics. Back when I was at Spot, our "REDcard queen" was termed for being deceptive with guests about the benefits. She would outright lie and say it was a rewards card, or tell them they were signing up for the debit when it was really the credit. She had excellent numbers but these deceptive tactics went on for months and leadership knew about it. They really did not want to fire her; our numbers went to shit as soon as they did. Pretty sad that the only way some stores can make goal is by literally committing fraud.

Funnily enough, that termed cashier now works at the same company I do. Small world.

We had a cashier who would tell people it's just a rewards card like Kroger etc and she got lots of red cards that way. One day the cashier was just gone, I have no idea what happened to her.

If guests ask if they can sign-up at home, I tell them that they can, but it sure "looks a lot better for our store" if you sign-up here.

For the guest who keeps forgetting to bring their check....get them the small RedCard brochure and then write "check" on it and tell them to take it home and immediately grab a check, write VOID on it and put it in your wallet and then I tell them that they are prepared for their next visit and can sign-up!

I have had a few guests come back with their brochure and a check and then sign-up with me! Then they are happy, I'm happy an Spot is happy, too! A win for everyone!

The second year I worked seasonal, we were hurting bad for redcards one week and our GSTL was finally like, "every single app will get a $5 credit towards something" and this one new kid was like "so if you got a lot, you could add them up?!" "sure, why not" and suddenly he's lying through his teeth and totally duping people that night because he wanted to get the store to pay for his grocery run later. Hopefully the $40 in food made up for his job.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if he knew what he was selling. He worked at a rewards-style grocery before that.... surely he would have known that a real rewards card doesn't ask for social and financial information? I dunno, scary.

There's no one at my store (That i'm aware of) that does this luckily, it can be really shitty because we are constantly behind the mark as far as cards per week goes but I am glad people are genuine. I've gotten a lot after building a relationship with people from seeing them frequently and they were eventually able to trust me about the information I was giving them not just trying to get them to sign up for another high interest credit card. A lot of people seem weary about the debit even though I explain it comes out of your checking account and acts as any other debit card would since its..you know..A DEBIT CARD!

When I was getting pretty despite to get people to open a Redcard I could NEVER bring myself to lie. I have way too much integrity!

So...are we actually able to be coached for NOT GETTING THEM? As in, asking, but not getting them. Because today my TL told me we're doing so bad with red cards that electronics is going to be held accountable for them too. If I don't get 3 reds a week I am going to be coached each time.

Now, I can understand their reasoning that they should be easier to get in electronics. I don't understand their reasoning that I should be getting 3 a week. Period. Or else I'm gonna be coached. Today I rung up 2 people in 4.75 hours. Two fitbits (got an attachment at least and she already had a red) and another TM buying some hair bands for a kid she had with her. On average I ring up 5-10 per day. A lot of them want to price match @ guest services or have a red card or just flat out don't want a damn card. People with a few items come up to avoid long lines at the front. The dude buying a fucking bag of bagels doesn't want one.

I'm extremely annoyed and frustrated and paranoid because this is exactly what I wanted to avoid and yet I'm being shoved deeper into red card hell than I've ever been.

Yeah, the heat is really on with red cards rn. We are getting observed, coached, have to check out with an LOD at the end of every shift to get the spiel again. Everyone who backs up on the lanes needs to try and get them, electronics needs to get them, random sales floor people who never ever touch a cash register...you name it. Ridiculous.

ETLs at my store are pulling out the "you need to ask EVERYONE because the law says we could get in trouble for discrimination if we don't offer a redcard to every single guest!!!" line, which I hadn't heard in a long time. It's the sort of thing that makes sense when it's being stressed at you, but.... correct me if I'm wrong, but surely that law is probably more, like, we can't deny an application based on race/gender/whatever, right? I just can't imagine someone actually throwing down that law and being like "that cashier didn't offer me a redcard because [x]!"

I dunno. Threats of coachings for not meeting goals have been around for as long as I have and they've never panned out. Coachings for not asking, sure, maybe, because that's part of the core role of a cashier, but they can't penalize you for everyone saying no.

Anyways, all the LODs have been telling me to start reporting cashiers who don't ask and it's like.... maybe you guys are just looking for scapegoats. Kinda making me really sick of being GSA, because I don't have the heart to call anyone out on it. (That, and I do hear everyone asking, apart from, say, one cashier who's been there forever and everyone knows that this cashier doesn't ask but they still work there so clearly this coaching business isn't ever really gonna happen, is it?)

Well, here's the thing...the STL and ETL-GE and the whole store aren't judged by the DTL and GVP for the number of people you ask. They couldn't care less how many people you all ask. They want to see how many applications the store is getting. And in the end, asking needs to turn into applications. And it sucks.

Back