I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Yesterday, a fellow TM (new) was at the register next to me. He gets lots of apps. And now I see why. He asks the guest if they want to sign up for a "free discount card." I told the GSTL about it and GSTL told me they've spoken to this TM about that and the TM's response was he's just trying to get the guest intrigued. Um, no. The card is NOT free (if it's credit). And that is very bait-and-switch, which would piss me off if I were a guest. This TM is really, REALLY aggressive too. He made *me* uncomfortable just listening to him. He was asking guests why don't want one? And after they explained why, he'd ask again. I don't like pushy salespeople at all so his approach grated my nerves.

Just start picking your nose and flicking the boogers at him. Shuts em up every time!!!

Lucky! My store KEEPS hiring minors, so we never have any cashiers closing because they have to leave by 9:45, and we keep losing cashiers because most of them only have a part time job to kill time!
at my old store the majority of the cashiers were minors.

Since getting REDCards is a fact of life for those of us on the front end, I'm asking for ideas. What are positive ways to reach our goals? I know what you guys think about GSAs vs GSTLs, but I'm going to be a GSA and I'm really happy. I know what I'm getting into and I'm sure I'll be here ranting and raving, but I want to do this. So...I'm hoping we can share what works for us and help each other.
I'm going to post this in the "New GSTL" thread too.

Yesterday, a fellow TM (new) was at the register next to me. He gets lots of apps. And now I see why. He asks the guest if they want to sign up for a "free discount card." I told the GSTL about it and GSTL told me they've spoken to this TM about that and the TM's response was he's just trying to get the guest intrigued. Um, no. The card is NOT free (if it's credit). And that is very bait-and-switch, which would piss me off if I were a guest. This TM is really, REALLY aggressive too. He made *me* uncomfortable just listening to him. He was asking guests why don't want one? And after they explained why, he'd ask again. I don't like pushy salespeople at all so his approach grated my nerves.
I want to know how he gets them to press the button that says "credit" at the beginning of the app. And why the guests don't back out when they see how much personal info you need for a "free discount card" like this guy has to be pretty scary to somehow keep getting them through it.

Got a coaching today.....not getting enough RedCards per my transactions.
I generally have around 500 transactions a week and for each 100 I'm supposed to get one Redcard. I was told today that there is "no excuse" for not reaching the goal of 5 RedCards.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with all of this. I think that the hassle that we're getting is not worth the $10+ per hour.
I'm so excited to be looking for a new non-target job. Sometime soon I will be so happy to be able to give my two weeks' notice.
I had been thinking of staying on for maybe 15 hours per week in order to have money to put aside. But the more crap that they're giving us on RedCards the more I keep thinking that staying on just won't be worth the money.

I have been getting calls on my resume....haven't gotten any real good leads, but the leads will turn into success soon!

Yesterday I had a guest come through my line and she said I get that asked all the time so my question is this do you get yelled at if you don't get so many a day ( keeps quiet) I could tell by the look on her face she knew she knew........ I mean it's crazy even guests are catching on that they know something is up and they have had it with the constant badgering.

Yesterday I had a guest come through my line and she said I get that asked all the time so my question is this do you get yelled at if you don't get so many a day ( keeps quiet) I could tell by the look on her face she knew she knew........ I mean it's crazy even guests are catching on that they know something is up and they have had it with the constant badgering.

I hope you answered "Yes" to her question. Whenever a guest asked, I gladly told them I was required to get RC sign ups every shift, "in fact me keeping my job depended upon it" was also included in my reply.

If ALL guests only knew how relentless Target really is about getting a RC in their hands, maybe there would sufficient public backlash and Spot would back off.

I wonder how we could really get this message out to all of our guests......

I made sure I told every guest that was irritated about my RC spiel that it was a job requirement or that I was required to get sign ups to keep my job. At some point a blogger or reporter will catch it and hopefully make it an issue just like when there was a petition to raise base pay to $9.

If only I could of said something (I stood there quietly) but the guest knew I mean by my lack of talking the guest pretty much had it figured out. If we had a guest like that every day perhaps maybe just maybe spot would catch on and maybe cool on the redcards a bit.

Got a coaching today.....not getting enough RedCards per my transactions.
I generally have around 500 transactions a week and for each 100 I'm supposed to get one Redcard. I was told today that there is "no excuse" for not reaching the goal of 5 RedCards.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with all of this. I think that the hassle that we're getting is not worth the $10+ per hour.
I'm so excited to be looking for a new non-target job. Sometime soon I will be so happy to be able to give my two weeks' notice.
I had been thinking of staying on for maybe 15 hours per week in order to have money to put aside. But the more crap that they're giving us on RedCards the more I keep thinking that staying on just won't be worth the money.

I have been getting calls on my resume....haven't gotten any real good leads, but the leads will turn into success soon!
See, this right here is pure madness. I would like to personally throttle the person high up in corporate who decided that REDcard applications are the end-all, be-all measure of success for the front end. We could have 100 people try to apply for the card in a day but all get denied, and yet we will have met our goal and the ETL GE would cry from pure joy. Never mind if our cashier friendliness, speed, and survey scores were in the toilet, just as long as we hit that arbitrary goal... Craziness.
They need to just do away with cashier title, retitle everyone "REDcard Salesperson" and have everyone work on commission. Because honestly, they're not paying enough to justify what they're expecting cashiers to do.

My only work center is SD and I've been the top RC performer at my store for three months in a row. All during the semester I only worked four days a week and never got higher than 23 signups in a month. We're a fairly high volume store, but our conversion has been in the tank ever since our ETLGE decided that our GSTLs had to give hourly reminders over the walkie and then she chimes in immediately after and spends damn near a minute trying to "encourage" cashiers who don't even have walkies and therefore can't hear the damn speeches in the first place. Meanwhile I'm sitting behind my desk trying to get a carryout on channel 1 and dying inside as the guest who, up until this point, has been very patient starts to get frustrated. What I'm trying to say is fuck the desperate attempts by ETLs to pad their bonuses while we slog it out on the floor.

From the red cards thread:
Do ya wanna get a red caaaaaaaaaaaaaaard?
Saving 5% each daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?
Don't really wanna whine; my job is on the line.
It's the only waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
I used to give great service once but now that's gone;
What are ya gonna dooooooooooooooooooo?
Do ya wanna get a red card?
Debit toooooooooooooooo.
*Do you wanna build a snowman
redeye58, Apr 8, 2016

My only work center is SD and I've been the top RC performer at my store for three months in a row. All during the semester I only worked four days a week and never got higher than 23 signups in a month. We're a fairly high volume store, but our conversion has been in the tank ever since our ETLGE decided that our GSTLs had to give hourly reminders over the walkie and then she chimes in immediately after and spends damn near a minute trying to "encourage" cashiers who don't even have walkies and therefore can't hear the damn speeches in the first place. Meanwhile I'm sitting behind my desk trying to get a carryout on channel 1 and dying inside as the guest who, up until this point, has been very patient starts to get frustrated. What I'm trying to say is fuck the desperate attempts by ETLs to pad their bonuses while we slog it out on the floor.

There is where you could turn up the walkie volume so the guests could hear the managers. My boss gets the bonus while I get to keep my job.

I hope you answered "Yes" to her question. Whenever a guest asked, I gladly told them I was required to get RC sign ups every shift, "in fact me keeping my job depended upon it" was also included in my reply.

If ALL guests only knew how relentless Target really is about getting a RC in their hands, maybe there would sufficient public backlash and Spot would back off.
Could suggest she call corporate to report the badgering.

And the guest say:

Fuck Tha Red Card
Fuck Tha Red Card
Fuck Tha Red Card
Fuck Tha Red Card

Their verdict;

The jury has found you guilty of being a Red Card
pimpin', cashier motherfucker

Me:

But wait, that's a lie! That's a god damn lie!
Get him out of here!
Get him the fuck out my face!
I want Red Cards!
Fuck you, you cheap motherfuckers!

And the guest say:

Fuck Tha Red Card
Fuck Tha Red Card
Fuck Tha Red Card
Fuck Tha Red Card

N. W. A. ft. BeelzeBecky

Last edited:
Back