I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Last night we had a rough night getting red cards in electronics I normally get at least 3 and another TM gets at least 5 but needless to say I only got one and other TM got 3. It was a rough,rough night....... There will be rough days there will be rough nights but the best thing we can do is ask, ask, ask!

Greentreen, how would you like to be sold on one? Hammered left and right until you relented so you'd get the cashier to shut up? Or is one "no" enough?

Well the reason I have only gotten one since starting (granted I am not a cashier but still) is because I do not push push push push. I haven't done it because I do not feel comfortable doing it yet. How do I get to that place?

Greentree, do you have a Target Debit Card? I find its really hard for people to sell them when they don't have one. They really are awesome cards. My speech varies depending on the person, but it generally goes something like this "Do you want to save 5% every day with our Target Debit Card?" to which they generally say "No" I respond with "Are you sure? It works just like your own bank card, except you save 5% every time you use it! The money comes straight out of your checking account, so there is no interest or hidden fees! I love mine! If the guest cuts me off before I'm done I'll still say something similar, but I'll start it "Well for future references, we have this Target Debit Card. . .

I will say, I really like what Nos said about using the target debit card instead. I'm going to try that one!

Last edited:
So today I asked EVERY guest and still got 0 Redcards. I was not on cashier the entire day, but also asked everyone who was making a payment on a credit Redcard if they wanted a Debit to avoid having to come in, interest, etc.

I felt a lot more confident asking today though, so I suppose that is something. My pitch today was something like:

"Do you have a Target Redcard?"
No.
"Would you like to save 5 percent today and every day with a Redcard"
No Thanks.
"Well just so you know we also have a Debit option. You still get the five percent off without having to worry about interest or a bill. If you want to sign up for one in the future be sure to bring in a blank check."

I got nothing. It makes me feel bad because a cashier today at our store got 9 and I couldn't even get one. How am I supposed to lead and inspire cashiers to get them when I can't even get one. Granted, I have done this for less than 2 weeks, but still......

To Nos116, that sounds like an interesting approach. I will have to try that. Lately I have been asking the guest if they are using their redcard today. When they say no I then tell them about the debit card and I stress that it is NOT a credit card and they can save 5%. That has been working pretty well for me. Of course the ones who are interested don't have a check at hand most of the time. I lucked out yesterday with one lady. Thank gah she had a check! Lol. Like I said before though I been having my cashiers to push the take debit apps when they don't carry a check. Anyone else have these at their stores?

Wageslave1138, you sound like someone who loves debates. Well I'm not one of those people. I'm laid back and if it happens then it happens. I agree we should get something out of redcards such as an increased pay, but it won't happen. I've been at this company a long time and why complain about something a corporation doesn't care to change? They don't care about our voices, just the one of the guests. And yes you're right, I am the perfect cog. That's what got me a promotion and a better pay. Because I didn't b#@%h about petty things. I will reward my cashiers when I can and as much as possible. Good day. :)

Easiest way to move up is to be the perfect yes man and be a corporate sell out. Not always the case though, i did see a few well chosen tls.

i average 6-11 a shift. im the only cashier and they keep saying o lane u have to get twenty. im just like.... seriously. im the only cashier who even tries. im the leading redcard man in my store. 15 in one day. im seriously getting sick of it. when im not getting redcards they treat me like crap.

i average 6-11 a shift. im the only cashier and they keep saying o lane u have to get twenty. im just like.... seriously. im the only cashier who even tries. im the leading redcard man in my store. 15 in one day. im seriously getting sick of it. when im not getting redcards they treat me like crap.

Wow. Just wow. You get that many Red Cards a day and they still treat you like ****? You should be their favorite TM!

High performers on Redcards do have to beware of particular pitfalls, including really high expectations on a daily basis, as well as possible resentment from or suspicion from fellow TMs, and leadership sometimes showing you that it's not necessarily "you" they like so much as what you can do for them and the company...

Hi! I am just wondering on how you guys tell the guests about the red card. I started last week and I still haven't opened any red card even though I always ask guests if they want to save 5% on every purchase. And also do I have to turn off the lights whenever a guest accepts the offer and suspend the sales while she's filling up information? I'm a Cashier by the way :)

There's no need to turn off your light and the redcard application becomes apart of your transaction, so no suspending.

The approach we use at our store is to treat it like a coupon your guest can use everytime they are there. We also push the check card over the credit card. Most people are more comfortable with that.

There are a thousand ways to offer the card, find one that's natural for you. I find if you're genuine in your approach, you're most likely to get one.

- 5% discount on all purchases paid with the card
- There is a credit card option or debit card option
- Make credit payments within the store
- Get cash back with the debit card
- School donation program. The guest gets to pick their school
- Mention the Pharmacy Rewards program and discount
- Mention its more economical to save 5% than trying to stock up air miles

- And especially attack the guests with large purchases or big bulky items. Ask them if they know what the Red Card is. Mention its not only has credit options but debit options. Signing up only takes a minute or two. Instant notification.

Make sure whenever they are using their debit card that you tell them about the Check Card. This will be your biggest opportunity. Especially any woman with a purse. They could potentially have a checkbook with them! If they cut you off and say "I don't want a credit card" make sure you say something like "What If I tell you that the red card is also a Check Card linked to your own bank account" and you will usually peak someones interest.

Light: It's not required by any means, but some cashiers will turn off their light when a guest is applying so other guests can go to another lane instead of waiting behind them.

Suspend: The only time you should suspend for a Red Card application is if the guest does not want the current purchase to go on the card (assuming they're approved). If you're at the prompt, the first option is to do the app without suspending. If you're doing the application without a prompt, then the order won't suspend.

Back